Saving seedlings from nute stress

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew7

Reaction score
I recently put some two week old seedlings in hdryo bubble buckets. I put 1/4 strength Fox Farms hydro nutes (Grow Big) in my hydro pots. The plants were looking a little droopy after a couple days so I figured that I must have given too much nutriant too early. -So I took one gallon out of each bucket and put a fresh gallon of R/O water back in, pouring thr last quart or so through the net pots to wash the nutes off the plants. Seemed to work great and my plants are thriving now!!! Just a suggestion if anyone has the same problem, Matt:holysheep:

Was it from over nuting or was it from not getting enough moisture to your root zone? Drying out because your roots have not had time to reach the nute solution yet?

I don't think it was due to lack of water because the coir on top was very wet ( I planted coir in 2" peat pots and transplanted to Hydroton). I just think I got a bit over zelous -those plants were actually only 12 ...13 days old. It's just that they were starting to stretch due to lack of light so I wanted to get them under my MH and I had to transplant in order to do that easily. I already had 1/4 strength nutes bubbling in my pots in anticipation. I won't do that again,:holysheep: Matt

Then again, it could have been a bit of transplant shock as well. Those plants went from being under cheap 2' fl grow lights (2 x 15 watts each, I think) to 400watts of Metal Halide. I did keep them about 24" away from the lights, but still, it can probably take a few days for plants to fully adjust. -They're doing well now. I will keep the nutes at 1/4 strength when I cxhange the water in a week or so. Matt

BTW -I also backed the lights off to about 28", Matt

good tip :) i always start seeds with fluros and no ferts for some time

Latest posts

Back