scrubber and fan questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony8404

Reaction score
Okay i made my own carbon scrubber. i have a 4 inch tube and a 6 inch tube, one inside the other. There made out of metal screen. I am using a active carbon filter that is wrap around each one of the tubes. I have a 6" to 4" reducer at the opening. I am not sure if using both tubes wrapped with the filter is good idea cause of the lack of air flowing through the filter from the fan.

But for fans i have three choices. 1st choice was a 4" duct booster fan that is only 80cfm's, which does not have enough power. Choice 2 i bought 2 6" duct booster fans. Each one of them is 225cfm's, works better i can feel air come out of the filter but not alot or much. 3rd choice i have a stanley blower 3 speed fan. When i connect that to the scrubber i can feel instant results.

Here is my dilema, I also made a air cool tube. I have a 5" glass cylinder with a 5" to 4" reducer duct piece on each end. I will be using a 2'8" x3' grow tent, so i want to have the air cool tube with the most cfm's going through it too keep the grow tent cool right?

So i do not know how to go about connecting these items. I have a y connector i made out of duct work that i can connect to the stanley blower exhaust and then connect one of the y junctions to the light and the other to the scrubber... Woulc that be the best way to go about this? Or should i use both of the 6" duct fans on the air cool tube and the stanley blower on the scrubber? I will be using either two 4" duct fans for the venting air into the grow tent, unless i decide to go with the 6" duct fans if using the blower for both the light and scrubber. Help? thanks

Well, for anyone out there that may be in a situation like this. I just went ahead and tried using my custom made y connector to the stanley along with connecting my cool tube and scrubber all together and it worked perfect. That is on the setting 1, if i turn to the 2nd setting or third, WOW...
Now that i will have two 4" and two 6" inline duct fans, I will wait to see which is better to use with the grow tent intake holes.

:ciao: tony If you try to make both sides from the "y" connector equal, you will get a more even air intake/flow. Try to have the same number of bends(90's.45's 22's) in both runs also this make it easier for air to move thru the duct piping. the straighter the pipe the less loss of air movement.

those inline booster fans are not designed to pull the volume of air you need to pull through a filter, you need either blower type, (which is really not designed for it either, but will work) or the centrifigul (can/vortex type) which is the fan designed for this use. They cost more, but they are the product to use in this application.

I think the 6" booster fans should work fine for cooling your cool tup though, as long as they are pulling air from outside the tent, through the light, and outside the tent again...with no restrictions, just a staright duct.

I tried using a duct booster fan to pull through my carbon filter, because I ran out of money, and the booster fan was only like 27 bucks I think...one of those things where I tried to cut corners, and now I have a booster fan lying around doing nothing, because I had to buy the item that was designed for the job.

Boosters fans are just that--booster fans. I do not believe that they were ever meant to be "stand alone" fans, but meant to be used to boost the power of another fan on long ducting runs.

yeah...I agree THG the thing that is misleading about them is that they have a 200 some (?) cfm rateing. What is misleading is they can probably move 200 odd cubic feet per minute of air, IF it is running down a straight 6" duct. 1 look at the motor in these duct booster fans and it's not hard to figure out that they are not designed to deal with any resistence.

wow you guys are right i tried using the duct fans and they suck. i think you were right when you had said that to use the duct fans to help another fan out. i am thinking of taking my stanley blower and attach my scrubber to the end of the cool tube to pull air into the scrubber through the light and push out the air through the vent. is it better to push the hot air or to pull it? i heard its easier to pull it...

I have mine pulling the air through my carbon filter, air cooled reflector, and out the side of my cab.

Latest posts

Back