Setup help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unosnow

Reaction score
If i want to have 6 plants in a 4.5foot tall area what would be the best lighting? a HID 400wat or a CFL and if CFL what wat

400 w HPS would be the way to go if you can get it on the ceiling of that 4.5 foot area. just keep that space well vented and the temp from it should be fine. Don't veg your plants longeither or they'll blow that small space up.

I have been growing in a similar space with CFL. I am getting a decent return, but am thinking of switching to a 400W HID for the next grow. Don't get me wrong, the CFL's do a great job if you have 1 or 2 plants, and a little space. If you want more weight, I would go with the 400w. If you decide to stick with the CFL, I would check out a few of the grow shops....since they have some that are much better than the ones you can get at the grocery store.

yeah, if I went with a 400 watt hps, it will do alot more for your plants. Prolly increase your yeild alot. You won't be dissapointed.

yes hps is the best ,,,but make sure you have got plenty of fresh air ,,,if possible use a cool tube and use a intake and outake fans ,,,i use one in a slightly taller area and it can get real hot in there ,,,,:peace:

definetely hps is the best but heat is a issue u got 2 deal with after

With a 400 hps your gonna have heat problems in a smallish grow space unless you have a realy good air exchange system. Also remember there needs to be a gap of 12-18 inches(give or take) between the plant tops and the bulb.

for veg use a metal halide bulb if heat wont be a problem,and use HPS for flowering period.

for seedlings use flourescents with a cold white color or similar

BUDISGUD said:
for veg use a metal halide bulb if heat wont be a problem,and use HPS for flowering period.

for seedlings use flourescents with a cold white color or similar

Is this a good idie? If i have a 9 foot area to split it and use metal halide for veg and then HPS for flowering? Do plants continue to grow taller in the flowering stage? and should i split it evenly 4ft6inches or lop-side it for one of the stages so the bulb is farther away?

You tell us how tall your space is, but we also need to know the sq footage to tell you whether a 400W is what you need. With limited height, you might want to consider a cooltube where you can get the light real close to the plants.

Latest posts

Back