Should I nip this in the bud (pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GodofGraphics

Reaction score
I have 4 plants I put into flower 7 days ago. I had two other plants that were in their 6th week of flower. They hermied and spread pollen all over the other plants. Yes, the plants already have little pistils showing and my question is...

Can I wash the plants real well and cut off all the flower sites that have pistils showing?

Are these plants basically screwed (pardon the pun)... will they be males regardless of what I try to do?

Is it better to not risk it and dump them to prevent further contamination of the room from possible new seed production?

Can I watch the plants and remove any flowers that appear to be going male?

Will this kill the plants?

Any advice is welcome... thanks.

GoG If you have pistils showing and there is pollen in the air then your plants will become pollenated... That does not mean it becomes male... It means that your plants will start producing seeds...

do you know these strains??

JAAM is right, as far as picking off the nanner on the herm plants you can try to do that, but it sounds like your grow was already compromised...you can either grow out seedy pot, or chuck it. I wouldn't go cutting tops on the ones that have not hermied, as it is just going to take you for ever to flower, and the added stress will probably cause them to hermi to...if it were me, I'd probably toss them and start over....bagseed?

7 days into flowering theyr showin some pistils only so maybe theyr not completely pollinated, i'd wash them well and check their growth if they growin seeds, you would probably get some seed and some bud but ask yourself why they hermied, if its a plant that hermies i'll throw it away and never clone from it again. what strain is it?

HI,

Your (pics) never posted, graphixgod... :confused:

How bad of a nanner explosion was it? Do/did you see LOTS of nanners or only a few? Since your new flowering plants have only been in 12/12 for a week and only show a few pistils, what I would do is remove the new flower girls from that closet if possible and I'd spray them with water to render any remaining pollen useless. If you have another area that you can keep them in 12/12 for couple weeks I suggest you let the others finish out without the new girls in the room, carefully snipping or plucking off hermie nanners as they appear to hopefully make the most of your plants in week 6 and get a decent harvest out of them if they are hopefully an 8 week strain. Sometimes pinching nanners is a losing battle if they really spit them out profusely but I've been able to squeeze another week or two or even longer out of them if I'm vigilant with my hermie search without suffering too much fallout from the mishap and usually ending up with some nicely finished, mature budz, sometimes with a few useless seeds. If you're flowering a sativa then it may be best to cut your losses and get the 6 wk old plants out of there... Once again the refrain.... What strain?

If you can do this and then after you harvest the hermies give your room a good cleaning/misting down and then put the new gals in. I'm always doing multi-strain grows with plants at various stages of flowering being put in and harvested from my 12/12 bloom closet. I just had a similar situation with a strain going hermie (Cali Orange) on me while I was just getting going in full flower around 20 days with a schwag bagseed Mex plant and a TGA Deep Purple and Mandala Ganesh just getting started in their first week of flowering. I removed the Mex, DP and Ganesh and put them in my veg space and flipped my T5 to 12/12 and finished out the Cali O hermie for another 10 days and it made all the difference and only a few lower buds had some immature seeds on them and it was off the to hash pile for them...:hubba: I had to make a quick 'veg' box out of a large cardboard box and a smaller 2' 4 bulb T5 so I could keep my small moms and clones going in veg long light and that worked great for the 2 weeks my veg closet was flipped to 12/12 for the Mex, DP and Ganesh.... Sometimes you just do what you GOTTA do to get the most out of your dank!

Peace!:cool:

Dirtyolsouth, Zem, Leafminer and Legalize, much appreciated your time to reply back with some great perspecitive.

The strain: Bagseed from a clone I toof off a previous grow of the same. Previous pland didn't hermie unitl the last week of flower... minor.
The newbie plant strains: NYCD, WW, TrainWreck, Banana Kush. Now you can understand my pain... these 4 are beautiful.

The bagseed plants went full boar... first they looked just like a woman... long white hairs and no sign of male qualities. All had been fine until yesterday when I discovered the balls. (where did they come from so fast) When I harvested them last night (6 weeks in flower) there were some stamins that burst already... there was pollen everywhere. Most of my new plants that I put into the same flower room the day after christmas were covered with it.

I washed the plants... thoroughly, with a light spray from my garden hose., then I sprayed a light coating onto the surface of the dirt... just for good measure. I also washed down the entire room, top to bottom and sterized with light bleach. Then washed down the entire room the same.

The plants look great... they loved the bath. Now I just wait to see what happens. If it's just a female with seeds, (lower THC Levers) then I should be able to take it to term and do the usual, correct? I tried smoking some of it last night, not so smooth, but a nice high.

What is the growing process for seeded females... how long, what happens, what to look for.

Should I try to keep them and risk additional contamnation of my site, or cut them down and wait for the next batch in 30 days.
Hmmmm

Thanks... for your help.

if they are that young you may get lucky and only get a few seeds. If they are only lightly seeded, they will probably grow the same as they would have had they been sensi, you should be able to tell soon what was polinated as those pistils should shrivel and turn orange or brown. I'd say your safe as long as you got all the herms out, and don't have anymore. It's a waiting game now, to see how much seed you get, but I wouldn't chuck em if they are good genetics and only lightly polinated....just be sure to destroy the seeds out of them.

Hey gog... here's the info I PM'd you... I'm going to post it here for others to glean info from too... Peace!:eek:

Hellz yah you can clone your female plant(s)... If you see pistils (white hairs) they are female. Even if they are pollinated by a male or your older females that went hermie, the female plant that is pollenated will still be a female. Any clones you take from her will be female too. If the branch tip that you take as a clone has a pollinated pistil it will grow a seed at that site but more new pistils will form around that developing seed if you continue flowering it under 12/12. If you put it under long veg light it may produce pistils for a bit but will eventually stop flowering and start veg growth again. Any new pistils formed after the one was pollinated won't be pollinated unless they get NEW pollen applied to them. ;) That's what happens when you find ONE seed in a bag of stickey ickey... Some plant put more than likely out a nanner, sometimes inside a bud or on the surface... and a bit of pollen managed to get on a pistil and formed a single seed.

So you can take a clone... put it under long veg light (16-24 hours of light per day), the clone will root and revert to veg growth. If they have already triggered into flowering it will take a few weeks longer for normal veg growth to resume and if you took a clone late in flower i.e. 4+ weeks into 12/12, it's no problem to root a cutting but it takes even longer for the plant to re-veg and go back into veg growth mode... sometimes 6-8 weeks... But it will if you're patient. Since your plants is just starting to show flowers they will root well and not get deep into flowering if you put them back under 12/12 and should get back to veg growth pretty quickly...

I hope that all makes sense... a female doesn't 'become' a male when it's flowers are pollenated... it just becomes a pollenated female... and even if you took a cutting with seeds and revegged it and then flowered that... it would produce female flowers and as long as those aren't pollenated you'll have seedless budz... NICE, huh? :hubba: ONE more thing... If the plants that you are cloning from came from that same plant/pheno that went hermie... there's a good likelihood that the clones will eventually go hermie too when flowered. So... it's really best to dump genetics that create hermies and head over to the collective and get a new, hopefully more stable female clone of a strain to grow or start again with good seed stock and not those out of bagseed that were probly pollinated by a hermie...:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back