Silica

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PencilHead

Reaction score
Anyone using a silica suppliment? Any input?

Does it increase cell wall strength?

Does it help with heat stress?

What about pH issues when using it?

What brand are you using and why that brand?

Would DE do the same thing as an expensive (sorta/kinda expensive) additive would?

Input as well as opinions welcomed.

Thanks.

Update: added nutes to the gallon with silica; made an identical gallon without silica. Let them sit for an hour or so.

Result: the pH was identical in both.

Action: I'm going in with the silica--watch my back.

Yeah, some use it as a pH up.

But, that may take more than the 1/4t that I apply and I found out the hard way about over doing it with this stuff.

DD

Hi Droop. Look into rice hulls in the mix. Plenty of it. Adds many other benefits also. Take care bud!

nouvellechef said:
Hi Droop. Look into rice hulls in the mix. Plenty of it. Adds many other benefits also. Take care bud!

Thanks. My coco mix has roasted rice hulls in it, but my grow-store guy said that's the only source in the mix, and I should use an additive. Of course he pays the rent by selling up the customer, too. I bought in; we'll see what it does.

They do numerous things in the medium. Aerate, break down over time and provide silica and someone even told me protect against some types of bugs. Think it was thrips. Cant remember. I have nothing but good things to say about it. Not to mention extremely cheap.

Thanks, NC. Diatomaceous earth does a number on larvae in the soil until it gets wet. I did something really stupid and got gnat larvae in my veg room and had to research the problem--that's how I came to discover the other things silica can do. Cell wall strength and heat stress relief are really attractive to my indoor-tree style and subtropical geography. Got a bottle of Pro-TeKt and started doing everybody at 1/4 t. per gallon yesterday.

nouvellechef said:
They do numerous things in the medium. Aerate, break down over time and provide silica and someone even told me protect against some types of bugs. Think it was thrips. Cant remember. I have nothing but good things to say about it. Not to mention extremely cheap.

Latest posts

Back