sky lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shon205

Reaction score
hello , will a sky lights in attic roof work for growing. thanks

Depends on what material the sky light is made of. Also the size and the direction the sky light is facing. Would also need supplemental lighting for when the sun was not shinning through.

Not to mention that anyone flying overhead would get a nice good look at your garden ha

:peace:

Could you drive while looking through a tube aimed one direction?

PuffinNugs said:
they will be good for supplemental lighting but not by themselves. im sure itll probably grow under them but not good at all. mix them with artifical lighting and they will work fine.

If you surround the skylight with a couple of lights, at night you'll have nice glowing beam.

I'm thinking Batlight.:D

Well since you are thinking about using this space, wouldnt you just be able to block off part and grow in there?

Best Wishes
"P"

PencilHead said:
Could you drive while looking through a tube aimed one direction?

If you're taking my comment that seriously, then yes, yes I could.

Tokensmoke10 said:
If you're taking my comment that seriously, then yes, yes I could.

Yeah, I know. I thought about later how weak of an analogy that was. Please feel free to go ahead and totally disregard the entire comment. Sorry, it was early, hadn't had coffee yet, shouldn't have been posting (obviously).

The point I missed relaying was that the skylight would be fine but only for short durations. Sure, natural sunlight is the total bomb--if you can bring it indoors, that's gotta be good even for auxillary lighting.

Tokensmoke10,

I don't think PencilHead's post was directed at your comment. In fact I don't understand what it is pointed to or what it means.

shon205,

If you're asking if a sky light by itself will be enough to grow, it might, provided that it is clear unfiltered optics, but you aren't going to be able to use very much area. It will be much like trying to grow in a building with a hole in the ceiling, rather than growing outdoors under the open sky.

If you're asking if it will hurt anything, no so long as you light cycle is in sync with the daylight hours so you don't have daylight shining in when it is supposed to be dark, OR street lights and such. The other possible problem is the light shining out side when it is dark, might bring unwelcome attention.

Unless you need all of the attic, walling off a section away from the skylight might be the best idea.

Of course you can always do like I do to the windows in my area, I cut styrofoam that is a tight fit for insulation and then cover it with sheet rock or plywood, or any thing solid that you could seal light tight. Actually, I usually use two layers so that any light leakage past one layer will hopefully be blocked by the second layer, plus 3/4" to 1" sheets are a lot easier to cut smoothly.

I think this was said in pieces already but I thought I would try to put it all together to hopefully simplify using the information.

Great smoking.

I have a sky light (kinda a bubble type) in my Kitchen, the direct light hits about ten in the morning (high summer), it goes east across my sink as the sun goes west across the sky, by three in the afternoon it is past the point where it is hitting the counter. So from ten to three I could move a plant with the sun as it goes across my counter. Sounds like it would work, if I stayed on top of it all day every day, keeping the plant under the direct sunlight.

Good luck to you.

Lots of greenhouses have 3 solid walls and partial roof that are solid and they face south. Do a solar green house search, but this is the same thing just about, depending on the size of the sky window. If it is so small that only a beam of light is available then, no it will not work unless their is major supplemental lighting.

Latest posts

Back