Smell escaping fro attic (help!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Type_S150

Reaction score
I just finished my 8th week and am about to harvest tommorow. Walking up to my apartment you can occasionally get a good wiff of bud through the air, and this obviously makes me nervous. I use a can filter attatched to a hydrofarm 6" fan and i run duct through my air cooled hood and up into the attic. Everything seemed to be fine, but as i got closer to harvest you could really start to smell it. I popped my head up in the attic, and the smell is pretty bad. What could be wrong? I have a 7' x 3' grow closet with 12 plants. Also I plan on drying in the same closet i grow in, so will the smell get worse AFTER i chop? Thanks.

Type_S150 said:
I popped my head up in the attic, and the smell is pretty bad. What could be wrong?

Type_S150 said:
I have a 7' x 3' grow closet with 12 plants

Its going to smell real bad when you harvest, and yes, its going to smell real bad drying, you need a carbon scrubber.

HippyInEngland said:
Its going to smell real bad when you harvest, and yes, its going to smell real bad drying, you need a carbon scrubber.
Is a can filter not the same? It has charcoal in it.

Its not big enough, can you get a second one to work at the same time? or a bigger one?

How old is the one your using?

Maybe the charcoal needs changing,maybe you need more air flow through it.

For a quick fix run and get some scented oils like a glade plug-in or some heating fragrances and poor some in your exhaust duct.I found orange or something fruity works really well when things start getting a little too pungent.

HippyInEngland said:
Its not big enough, can you get a second one to work at the same time? or a bigger one?

How old is the one your using?

Maybe the charcoal needs changing,maybe you need more air flow through it.
Maybe its not quite big enough, but id be suprised. I have less than 20sq ft. My carbon filter is 12" in diameter and about 14" long. It came with a 4'x4' tent, and was used for abour 4-5weeks at the most, plus the 10 weeks i just finished with this run. When you say i need more air flow, do you mean on the intake side? I run duct straight from the a/c into the tent to help with cooling, but have been leaving the fan off, so when the a/c kicks off no air is going in. Maybe thats the problem?

That filter is also too small for the application you are using and the fan you are using with it.
That 6" fan is pulling too fast for such a small filter ,IMHO, that is why it is not "scrubbing" the air clean as it passes thru it.

YUP everyone is right get yourself a good carbon filter and attach it to a 6in fan.
You can get a timered bathroom air freshener at a grocery store for $10 and it disperses nice smells every 30min to every 10min and will last a few wks.

Also venting into your attic is a no no. It will create mold.

Tater said:
Also venting into your attic is a no no. It will create mold.

Venting into an attic does not create mold alone. The environment needs to be right for mold to form. The attic is not always an environment that would support mold growth, depending on where you live and what season it is.

Latest posts

Back