So this shows up on my back porch the other night...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems Raccoons don't have the best reputation on MP lol. I appreciate the concern though guys I wasn't aware how bad treatment for rabies is. Just want to remind everyone that for 90% of the time I was behind a sliding door, and I observed his behavior for a good 30 minutes before I went on the porch with him. I also forgot to mention that the second time he showed up a skunk was with him. It was unreal.

Unless the animal is rabid or you are hungry, no need to shoot it dead. I wouldn't mess with him 7 but shooting him is not cool. Not that you said you would. Just replying in reference to Kaotic's post. I brake for squirrels ,lol.

I am right there with you Hamster. I realize the risk and I realize I pretty much lured him here. If he was rabid or dangerous I would shoot him no question, or call animal control. But I love animals and would only do that if necessary for my safety, or survival. I live in a city/suburb area so seeing an animal like this is a treat. I also brake for squirrels lol and if I hit one it ruins my day.:D

:48:

You really do need to call someone to remove the raccoon. Most cities have groups that will come and live trap the animal and try to release it back into the wild where it belongs. I was part of such a group when I live in town. Keep in mind that you are doing the cute little guy (or gal) NO favors by feeding it like this. Once you feed wild critters like this, they do come back. And the dangers from traffic or other neighbors who may just shoot it are real. Even if you do not believe that the animal has rabies, it is not safe and and IS a wild animal. A raccoon can disembowel a cat or smaller dog in the blink of an eye. Though they may look slow and ambling, they can run fast and they can be mean. Raccoons do not belong in the city. If you really do want to save this one, you need to call someone to have it removed to someplace safe.

Hamster Lewis said:
Unless the animal is rabid or you are hungry, no need to shoot it dead. I wouldn't mess with him 7 but shooting him is not cool. Not that you said you would. Just replying in reference to Kaotic's post. I brake for squirrels ,lol.
oh i'm quite the buddhist myself man ;)
just want to clarify; when he started showing up nightly, i wanted to shoot him with a pellet just to move him on before he pissed someone else off and got shot dead.
..but once i got it ready, it was too late and he never showed up again.

i think they're cool as hell too ;)
i'm the same in feeling the only time you kill an animal is to eat it
:)

No problem kaotic.. I knew what you meant. Just sad that you didn't get a chance to move him along before someone else shot him dead.

So my little buddy showed up a minute ago didn't stay too long didn't even finish the cat food spoiled brat I got a pic of him standing up. Trying to post it but I'm having trouble with Picasa. First its glitching and my new photos aren't showing up then when they do I drag it to the box and for some reason extract is greyed out I cant click it.

You aren't feeding him are you? :eek:

I am not sure how we can be any clearer about how dangerous this is all the way around. You need to make a sustained effort to get rid of him or he is going to kill someone's pet, injure a person or child, or be killed himself. Wild animals need to be treated as such.

Kill this raccoon now, or give me your address, and I'll come over and kill it. I get raccoons around my place from time to time. I DON'T feed them, I put out rags soaked in pinesol or some other smelly (non-flamable) liquid. It usually gives them the point that they are not welcome. But if they don't leave I kill them. They kill my tropical plants, especially my bananas.
They are destructive, carry all manner of disease, and will kill house pets in a second.
You started feeding him so it's your fault he's gonna' get killed. He didn't turn down your food because he's picky or spoiled. He now knows he has a place of easy handouts. Raccoons have a feeding map that includes, bird feeders, easily accessed garbage cans, Yards where pets are taken in at night but their food is left out, and homes where people feed them because they are cute. Yours is just one more stop on his snack track.
Leave wild animals wild.

You guys want me to kill this guy, really?

IMG_2820.JPG

I love animals guys I'm sorry. This little guy wont be getting killed or captured until he shows me its necessary. I think if you guys saw his behavior you might feel different. He is really mild mannered. I have two cats. And I have a third outside cat that I feed. They are ninjas he would never catch them. One time he came on my porch to eat and a skunk was here with him, they showed no aggression to each other. He is not aggressive at all. I just want to remind you I leave food out just for this reason. I don't live in the country, this raccoon is the most wildlife I will probably see for years. So I'm going to enjoy it, whatever the risk.

I appreciate the concern and information I don't want you guys to think its going in one ear and out the other.

If he doesn't leave for the winter maybe I'll look into getting him relocated. I could not kill him, its not going to happen. Im worried if I call animal control they will put him to sleep. Do you think maybe they would take him to a wooded area or put him to sleep?

I wish I had a tranquilizer gun I would do it myself lol.

That coon has gotten use to the hand out and cat and dog food of the neighborhood and will suffer and starve most likely when returned to the wild. That the reason the wilflife officials kill off the animals trapped around houses. In putting food out you just hurt the animals you are trying to help. Bird feeders are the only thing you should have that attract any type wild life

You might want to read up a bit on racoons. Their scat carries microscopic roundworms that can be transferred to humans if you come in contact with it. And it looks a lot like dog or cat poo, so it is hard to tell the difference. Touching racoon scat with your bare hands CAN transfer the parasite. Do you have kids? Read up on what roundworms can do.

There are groups in virtually all cities that capture wild animals and relocate them. Find one of these groups. No matter how cute they are, racoons are seriously dangerous in many different ways.

7thG said:
If he doesn't leave for the winter maybe I'll look into getting him relocated.

That should work out fine. Raccoons, like elderly Jewish people, are known to relocate to places like Florida for the winter. You wouldn't think so, with the fur coats, but it's true...same for the raccoons.

If you're stuck managing his winter accommodations I wouldn't bother with the plane ticket, there's always Trailways, and they're used to wildlife. But make sure you tell him NOT to talk to strangers at the bus station.....he'll end up turning tricks for some underworld opossum....:eek:

J/K, best of luck with the critter.

how to trap a coon.

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QNFID9OFuQ

turtle man way

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP89pDTkgVs

I bet turtle man smokes herb.

Latest posts

Back