sog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorickyourself

Reaction score
Do you or should one trim the bottoms?got about 3 more days to start 12@12 Thanks in advance:holysheep:

clear the lowers to allow for more air movement...

That somewhat depends on a couple things. I have found that once the plants get bigger, if you cut the tops out or FIM the tops, the plants will get bushy(typically, some Indicas don't like being topped). If you cut out the lower branches that are not getting much light and are smaller, the energy of the plant gets sent to the tops. If you have plenty of floor space and the right lighting to cover it, then bushing will produce better yields, and keep the plants lower. If you have enough heighth to grow upwards, then cutting out some of the lower stuff will also produce better yields.

What I do is top and FIM to create bushier plants, then when I get ready to go to flower, I clean out any of the smaller branches. Then for the first 2 weeks as I see the plants switching over, I remove any branches that are under the canopy where they are not getting light. I try to create a thinned and open sea of green. That seems contradictive but what I try to do is get as many budding branches as possible while thinning out the underbrush so that the bigger stems will shoot up to create towers of bud where the light can reach all the way down into them so that the lower buds develop as well. :)

If you are doing a SOG, you do not want to top or trim. Your goal with a SOG is a whole bunch of smaller plants put into 12/12 when they are still small. The purpose is to grow a bunch of single cola plants, so generally SOG grows get little or no trimming and no topping or fimming.

:doh: I was thinking Scrog...but I do remove the lower branches up untill week 3 flower...and for the reasons I said...air movement in tight quarters is important :aok:

I take off the bottom 1/3 of growth, preferably prior to 12/12, but can go as long as 2 weeks into12/12. After that I believe thinning would affect overall health and harvest.

Taking off the bottom third of the plant is fine and I do it a lot also. However, if he is actually doing a SOG, he doesn't want to do this. A Sog has little veg time and aimed at a single cola. So, are you actually doing a SOG?

Going to try @ post pic. A little latter tonight,hemp goddes ya got me wondering when you said single cola,guess l am a greedy guts.:holysheep:

gorickyourself said:
Going to try @ post pic. A little latter tonight,hemp goddes ya got me wondering when you said single cola,guess l am a greedy guts.:holysheep:

LOL--when it comes to bud we are all greedy. I would love to see pics.

That is definitely SOG at this point :) The Hemp Goddess is exactly right about the SOG. I tend to hybridize everything I do rather than sticking true to a single method. I just don't like SOG because you either end up with a single canopy where the light doesn't penetrate below, or you have to put fewer plants in so that there is enough room for the light to get down the sides of the plants. That is why I like to bush out my plants then thin above and below. :)

Latest posts

Back