soil vs hydro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolt786

Reaction score
The title says it all.I have been growing in soil for a while now with some success. I was thinking of building my own dwc system.Now I've heard taste can suffer by going hydro but what I was wondering about was yield and maturing time.Does it mature quicker with a better yield than soil or are they equal if you have big enough grow containers? If anyone has grown both ways the same strain I'd love to hear from ya...thnks.

what about yield would you say equal or better with hydro

I love DWC. I think it is just so much cleaner than dirt.

While you can get faster vegetative growth with DWC, it does nothing to speed up the flowering process.

I do not think that there is really any difference in the taste if the buds are dried and cured properly.

thanks for the input I'm gonna give it a try dwc any advice before i begin I've been doing alot of reading but am always looking for any tips...thnks

I went to dwc a while back and all I can say is wow! alot faster, cleaner and I havent noticed any diff. in taste or yield really. I say those factors rely on a good'ol green thumb and patience and care when you cure it. but it is def. time consuming until you get it down. good luck :)

:ciao: I do a few soil/hydro/coco

Merry Christmas

The Hemp Goddess said:
I love DWC. I think it is just so much cleaner than dirt.

While you can get faster vegetative growth with DWC, it does nothing to speed up the flowering process.

I do not think that there is really any difference in the taste if the buds are dried and cured properly.

:yeahthat::bolt::bong2:

I just finished a DWC grow and I think my yield is better with DWC than with soil. I average about 30 - 40 grams a plant in soil. I just pulled 215 grams from 4 plants in a single rubbermaid tub using the same footprint as 4 soil plants.

We haven't noticed any difference in taste and it took just as long to flower, but did experience more rapid growth in veg than with soil.

This is with all the same strain, Purple Cindy.

im a hydro activist, imagine this, when you go DWC you will NEVER have to carry any medium in or out of your growroom, at harvest i just empty my netcups in a bucket clean em up and fill back again. soil gets you pests and its harer to deal with pests in soil. it's also much harder to automate a soil grow and it will take time to handwater plants, hydro grows are automated easily, timer feeds your plants regularly and it is much less labour in your groroom, it is also easier to control growing conditions in hydro, you can always adjust the res and check to know wats happening in rootzone, in soil you can only guess and IME in hydro you can handle extreme temps better. to setup a hydro grow is more costly in the short term but you shall see that in the long run it will be the same cost and the more you know about it the less it will cost and if you consider that your time, effort are money, hydro beats soil easy :D going hydro was indeed the best decision i ever took in growing

Why do you say that hydro is more expensive I was thinking otherwise...no fox farm soil to buy?

I can design a $2000 system for soil or hydro or a $20 system for soil or hydro. It is all up to you as a grower to make the most out of your grows. You do not need the store bought soils to grow in it just makes life a little easier.

how about the cheapest way to get a 6 five gallon DWC grow going with a 1000w HPS

Im going to tell you its alot more work and things can go bad alot faster.But the cheapest way is get 6 lowes silver buckets no light is a must ($18.00 total). Air pump ($50- $150). Hose ($20). Air stones ($12) Chemicals ?

ok heres the real kicker I want to do this with only $500 with the following

- grow tent large enough for 6 five gallon DWC
- 1000w HPS
- x2 6" fans
- carbon scrubber
- air pump, stones, hose
- GH 3 part nutes
- timer
- PH tester
- cubes, medium
- root chem, ph chems
- 1 pack fem WW x BB seeds

and other things that are not on that list...now thats a pretty tough little challenge, but I believe it can be done!

Any and all help is welcome!!!

i'm sorry, but good luck. you'll spend more than 500 on the light, hood and ballast.

try look into magnetic lights they sell at lower price, try and find some chinese hardware you could find cheap exhaust fans and air pumps, get a mechanical water heater type of timers, DIY carbon scrubberPH drops tests, fresh battery refill acid (not used!!!) you can see how to use it in the DIY section, then you would need to pay for the seeds and ferts. the biggest chunk of your money is gona be for the light, im not sure if you can do it for 500, i know that if i had to where i am i could get it done with this cost but if i really wanted to get the cheapest setup i would go to stores that sell everything 5$and below id get 6 buckets, fill them with soil from backyard garden forest or wherever i can, get some organic ferts for soil and some dolomite lime to stabilize its PH, this will save you a lot on pumps buckets ph tests ferts hoses airstone and power.

greenguy said:

- 1000w HPS
- x2 6" fans
- carbon scrubber
- air pump, stones, hose
- GH 3 part nutes
- timer
- PH tester
- cubes, medium
- root chem, ph chems

and other things that are not on that list...now thats a pretty tough little challenge, but I believe it can be done!

I hate to burst your bubble, but there is no way that you are going to be able to get all the stuff on your list for $500--I don't care how good a shopper you are or how many bargains you find.

You really need an air cooled hood for your light. Scrimping on this will only increase other costs and make cooling your space a lot harder. If you can find an air cooled 1000W, 2 6" fans, and a carbon scrubber for $500, consider yourself lucky...and that still leaves a lot on your list. This is doable with $1000, but you are still going to have to "shop".

greenguy said:

- 1000w HPS
- x2 6" fans
- carbon scrubber
- air pump, stones, hose
- GH 3 part nutes
- timer
- PH tester
- cubes, medium
- root chem, ph chems

Well I guess you should just go for it then.

Post pics so we can see the outcome and good luck.

Latest posts

Back