Starting again, 3 out of 5 seeds appear deformed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeNtAlPaTiEnT

Reaction score
Hey people! Mental's back again! Here's the problem: I Bought a 5 pack of feminized Dinafem Seeds Critical Kush. I have three out of those five seeds growing deformed and canoeing , small looking leaves. Theyre all in same soil, under same light, etc. The other two look exactly what you would expect young plants to look like (perfectly formed leaves, etc). There are no visible nutrient issues in any of the plants, just weird, deformed growth in three of them. I've literally never had this happen before and I'm interested in anyone's take on this! Maybe I mishandled these three while putting in soil? Maybe overwatered them once by mistake (maybe??) and caused irreversible damage? Maybe just genetics?

Last edited:
With no visible nute issue, be patient, they may straighten out. If you think you over watered, you may have. IMO a little hungry is better than too much.

Welcome back, my friend. Glad you got back on the horse. Give it some time and establish a good wet-dry cycle.

Thanks for the responses! This is the first time I've actually used those red beer cups for the seedling stage and perhaps my drainage holes were too small? I used a pin to poke roughly 15 to 20 holes in the bottom. Maybe 3-5 pencil sized holes would be better next time? There is also a small chance I may have given them an accidental early dose of kelp in their watering, so maybe they overdosed on some micro nutrient of some sort. Oh the possibilities!

This is also the first time I'm using Fox Farms Ocean Forest. I'm doing a side by side comparison with my two good plants that are now in 3 gallon pots. The plant using soil from walmart (Shultz Potting Soil with time released nutrients) is twice the size of the Fox Farm soil plant. Much more vigorous and thick stems, bigger leaves. I'm assuming this is the difference between synthetic and organics? Nobody mind me... just exploring my thoughts... Smoke on good people!

Hey MP, it's been awhile, did they straighten out for you?

Please don't use shultz for pot. I use it for african violets but that is all. The food isn't what marijuana needs. Never use time release nutrients.

Hey MP, it's been awhile, did they straighten out for you?
Well, they never ended up growing large fan leaves or anything. Their largest fan leaves are like 1/4 the size of my two healthier ladies. They have some canoeing still going on. But for the most part they are green. I'm expecting maybe a quarter ounce per plant using 3 gallon pots. Not sure if I will ever buy this FF OF again sadly. Bad taste my first time around using it :(. I have a feeling it would be great outdoors though. feels like it holds a lot of water.
Please don't use shultz for pot. I use it for african violets but that is all. The food isn't what marijuana needs. Never use time release nutrients.
The shultz soil has vegged the healthiest plants I've ever grown. I've never seen such vibrant, happy plants. All stems are green. Leaves are huge and green. Normally when I use this soil I veg in recycling containers until the time-release nutrients have been exhausted and I have to start adding nutrients then I start flower. This time I've started flowering at only 1.5 months after veg and in 7 gallon pots. We'll see how things go. The only time I grew anything comparable during veg was when I grew with pro mix and used rain water and mushroom compost tea and Earth Juice nutrients.

Thxs for checking in everyone! I'm 2 weeks into flower now. Happy holidays all!

Last edited:
I had one like that as well. As long as it stayed green I watered it. Started growing like a two leaf banzai tree and then one day it started filling and poof! First one done at a yield of 1.5 oz and a very mellow indica. Never give up on the runt!

Latest posts

Back