Stealing Electricity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffca

Reaction score
I keep hearing that the only people who get caught for anything dealing with electricity is when they steal it, rather than using a high amount and the electric company turning that information over to police.

why would someone do this if it's so risky?

how do you do it (for piece of mind).

and how do they catch you?

THANKS!! :D :eek:

people do it to be greedy usually commercial growers who dont want to pay for huge bills

as for how ,,,well i dont think it be allowed to say :p

and they catch u because they can see your still usuing electric but not paying for it

not worth it really ,,is it : :48:

jeffca said:
I keep hearing that the only people who get caught for anything dealing with electricity is when they steal it, rather than using a high amount and the electric company turning that information over to police.

why would someone do this if it's so risky?

and how do they catch you?

THANKS!! :D :eek:

..It's usually big commercial op's running a dozen or more huge hid's, fans, pumps, ect. They fel a "need" to mask/hide their exceptionally high useage. Or are too cheap to take that cut in their profits. i.e. ..."GREED"..;)
A personal grower running even a couple of 1k's, can easily offset any huge consumption with a few simple conservation techniques. Replacing incandesants w/ cfls, turning down the water heater a few degrees, turning off unnecessary appliances or lights, hanging clothes to dry rather than running the drier, ect.
Sometimes in winter especially, my power bill surges pretty extreem. I may run as many as 3 1500 watt heaters, 1400+ watts of hids in addition to my "normal" house/home useage.
The power company doesn't 'mind' you using electicity, as long as you "pay" for it...:D..IMO

Im running 2k watts of hids, i just cut back on my computer time.

for example. when i built my computer, i put a 700w modular power supply in it. coupled with my bigscreen that i use as a monitor thats about 1300 watts in power that i have really cut back on. I also have gas in my house, so the heat, water heater dont really use much.

UKgirl420 said:

Why not say it ! to help each other on not getting caught...

When starting to grow, myself I started out slowly with any lights instead of my bill jumping from 40 a month to 130 all at once and that another way electric company can turn u in to the cops, by a BIG Jump in cost even know u pay Ur bills.
i have looked at my electric bill on the net from the last 5 yrs and my bill has gone up about 40 to 50 buck since starting to grow. that not bad at all. I figure with all the new grower coming onto this site, will have there electric Jump Up as soon as they hook up with that 400 watt to a 1000 watts..
My light bill never gotten over 130 since I started to grow but 4 yrs ago my bill jumped up when I hooked up a Big A/C unit and that ran about 168 a month during the summer and that was with my Old trailer and with my new trailer the bill don't go over 130..

Flyinghigh said:
UKgirl420 said:

Why not say it ! to help each other on not getting caught...

When starting to grow, myself I started out slowly with any lights instead of my bill jumping from 40 a month to 130 all at once and that another way electric company can turn u in to the cops, by a BIG Jump in cost even know u pay Ur bills.
i have looked at my electric bill on the net from the last 5 yrs and my bill has gone up about 40 to 50 buck since starting to grow. that not bad at all. I figure with all the new grower coming onto this site, will have there electric Jump Up as soon as they hook up with that 400 watt to a 1000 watts..
My light bill never gotten over 130 since I started to grow but 4 yrs ago my bill jumped up when I hooked up a Big A/C unit and that ran about 168 a month during the summer and that was with my Old trailer and with my new trailer the bill don't go over 130..

I didnt give instructions on how to by pass your electric meter ,,,cause i thought it was against the rules to discuss illegal practises :p

jeffca said:

Ignorance is bliss my friend. Don't worry, it's not something that would happen accidentally ;)

There are various methods but as someone said above, it's the really big commercial growers that usually do it because the electricity company has a computer record and if they see a big jump in consumption they are likely to wonder why.
Bypassing the meter results in an imbalance in the amount of units consumed, when they add up the domestic bills and compare it with the power substation supply meters. So they can easily calculate how much is being stolen. I would guess they ignore it until it gets above a certain percentage and then will crack down.
People either make an illegal bypass which involves risk in connecting to cables that are permanently live, or run the meter backwards by means of temporarily connecting a special type of transformer. They even hook up to street lighting systems, which is a pretty obvious way of getting caught. When you consider that your own bud will save you a lot of $ compared with the street prices, why bother stealing? It would just be one more paranoia item, LOL!

UKgirl420 said:
Flyinghigh said:
I didnt give instructions on how to by pass your electric meter ,,,cause i thought it was against the rules to discuss illegal practises :p
:rofl: i thought growing WEED for most of us was illegal?

My old gentleman friend was stealing electricity. When I found out I dropped him like a hot potato. I thought he was smarter then that, since he obviously had great taste in ladies. :stoned:

Her Royal Highness said:
My old gentleman friend was stealing electricity. When I found out I dropped him like a hot potato. I thought he was smarter then that, since he obviously had great taste in ladies. :stoned:

:rofl:

:postpicsworthless: :bolt: :ccc:
Her Royal Highness said:

I have grown for over 12 years solid now and the power companies care little to nothing about what you do with your power. Pay your bills, be courteous to the mter person and schmoke your homegrow. Nuff said. I've heard a few tales of people I've known that have gotyen caught due to STEALING ELECTRICITY, tho!!!

Wow! This makes me feel so much better about running 400 watts of lights.... I thought I was going to get busted in the back of my head.... :D

I don't know why people fuss about electricity bills. Pay them; problem solved.

Electricity companies don't narc you to the cops; I personally belief that's an urban myth perpetuated by outdoor commercial growers.

Augment your power useage if you are concerned about the bill but if you're not stealing the electricity supply, you have nothing to worry about.

I don't know about a myth, but my buddy got a call from the local power company letting him know he had excessive power consumption. He just told them he had just bought a welder and was doing a big project. He had 1200watts of lights and turned on another 1600w. But if he would have gradually went up in power use. I doubt they would have called him.

gettinggray1964 said:
:postpicsworthless: :bolt: :ccc:

Well there is no doudt in my mind. He does have great taste in ladys, but poor taste when it comes to other things. I have sense moved on to bigger and better things. :hubba:

Latest posts

Back