Stealth questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenfriend

ganja farmer
Reaction score
In the midst of many home and small scale grows being shut down in my vincinity, i wondering how do the police/DEA find all these grows, some of which seem very well concealed. I know that police can find grow ops from the heat they produce.
Is there a way to build a grow room so police can not detect the heat? I am setting up a collective garden for myself and a group of patients probably running 4 1000W lamps in a garage setup. What are the best ways to completely conceal this grow? Thanks:D

well with this HPS you can be detected.. unless you are in the basement.. there is nothing to worry about... I thought about digging a new basement but again.. I'm on ocean front.. I don't want water under me to go up and blow up the house with water.. lol....

theres alot of lights that can not be detected from FLIR (heat device) floursect lights, cfls, and LEDS is perfect and impossible to detect.. they are more likely can be detect by naked eyes if you know where to look :)
but do that in the hidden places is perfect and can't be found as long you keep your mouth hush (zipped)

papabeach1 said:
theres alot of lights that can not be detected from FLIR (heat device) floursect lights, cfls, and LEDS is perfect and impossible to detect.. they are more likely can be detect by naked eyes if you know where to look :)
but do that in the hidden places is perfect and can't be found as long you keep your mouth hush (zipped)

..simply NOT true..(and has been stated and proven time and time again). "heat" is "heat".. weather it comes from an hps, a 15 w tube flourescent, or your furnace. 400 watts of flourescents/cfls will produce a similar amount of heat as a 400 watt hps. 50,000 lumens of flourescents/cfls will produce a similar amount of heat as 50,000 lumen of hps. LEDs have been proven NOT sufficient for growing.
He's talking about 4 one thousand watt hids'. That will sufficiently cover somewhere around 800 sq. ft... How many cfls and extension xords, reflectors, ect. ect. does THAT compute to?? :p

You could use something like the foil on this site

hxxp://www.atticfoil.com/

or google `reflecting heat energy`

hope this helps.

ive heard of some type of material that can be painted on walls to block the heat signature, or would insulation surrounding the growroom help? I am only using a 10x20 space in a garage, so i could completely cover the space fairly easily. do hydroponics store carry any heat-blocking materials. thanks

Hick said:
..simply NOT true..(and has been stated and proven time and time again). "heat" is "heat".. weather it comes from an hps, a 15 w tube flourescent, or your furnace. 400 watts of flourescents/cfls will produce a similar amount of heat as a 400 watt hps. 50,000 lumens of flourescents/cfls will produce a similar amount of heat as 50,000 lumen of hps. LEDs have been proven NOT sufficient for growing.
He's talking about 4 one thousand watt hids'. That will sufficiently cover somewhere around 800 sq. ft... How many cfls and extension xords, reflectors, ect. ect. does THAT compute to?? :p

Well, I can't believe that no one spoke up, or caught me on that..;)

800 sq ft would require 40,000 watts, not 4,000..:p
musta' been high.. :D

your 4 1k's are sufficient for approximately 80-100 sq ft. If you're thinking of the deminsions that you mention "20X10" you're going to be short on lumens..

Wait the cops can search ur house because of heat signels they can detect....Isnt that illegal and not enough for a search warrent?

303053 said:
Wait the cops can search ur house because of heat signels they can detect....Isnt that illegal and not enough for a search warrent?

Do cops always play by the rules?.. ;)

My first thought is 4000w hps total wow your energy bill is going to be high. I hate to admit this but the goverment will **** you if they want to there is nothing you or anyone can do about it. So i wish you the best fo luck...

but no indoor grow has been busted just from the heat (flir) right?

The key to security is simple.

DON'T TELL ANYONE EVER!! Simple. LEO is not going to bang your door down usuing FLIR to bust grow ops. Just not going to happen.
How they find out is from snitches. Simple as that. Or stupid mistakes like unloading your trays/equipment in broad daylight in front of your neighbors.
Or, on the other hand, being "too" stealth and causing folks to wonder what u are doing at 2 in the morning unloading stuff.

Commen sense man.

Hick said:
your 4 1k's are sufficient for approximately 80-100 sq ft. If you're thinking of the deminsions that you mention "20X10" you're going to be short on lumens..
true, but im stuffing a propagation machine, veg room, a few mothers in that space too. just using a 4x5 space for each 1000W.

and you're right, heat is heat

NorCalHal said:
The key to security is simple.

DON'T TELL ANYONE EVER!! Simple. LEO is not going to bang your door down usuing FLIR to bust grow ops. Just not going to happen.
How they find out is from snitches. Simple as that. Or stupid mistakes like unloading your trays/equipment in broad daylight in front of your neighbors.
Or, on the other hand, being "too" stealth and causing folks to wonder what u are doing at 2 in the morning unloading stuff.

You are so right norcal, although in the great state of california it is a legal grow within plant limits, given all the time and expenses, i want to keep it my own little secret.

just my alternative to price-gouging dispensaries :D

I found this site

hxxp://www.loompanics.com/Articles/Thermal.htm

while looking to see if anyone has been raided because of the heat signature of their grow. It`s quite interesting even for us who don`t live in the US. It`s to do with the 4th amendment of the constitution.
Found this 1 that`s about flir and the war on drugs.

hxxp://www.mttlr.org/html/ShortNotes/crisera_art.html

Latest posts

Back