Swine Flu or "H1N1 virus"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcbud

Reaction score
Just looking at the news and see this article, have been listening to this on TV for a few days. Since we have a fairly world wide population here at MP, I was wondering if any of you have been actually affected by the bug, be it directly or indirectly.

Being a compromised immune system person, I am starting to think twice about going out into the world. Wondered if any here have simular thots. I spoke to my doc's receptionist to see if there is any flu happening here, she says not yet, but has a patient comming in from Mexico for a visit. County resident returning from Mexico. Hope their okay.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009
WASHINGTON - Virulent swine flu spread to 10 U.S. states from coast to coast Wednesday and swept deeper into Europe, extending its global reach as President Barack Obama mourned the first U.S. death, a Mexican toddler who had traveled with his family to Texas. Total American cases surged to nearly 100, and Obama said wider school closings might be necessary.
The World Health Organization said the outbreak is moving closer to becoming a full-scale pandemic.
Dr. Keiji Fukuda, the organization's top flu expert, told reporters in Geneva that the latest developments are moving the agency closer to raising its pandemic alert to phase 5, indicating widespread human-to-human transmission. That's just one step below level 6, a full-fledged pandemic.
In Washington, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano was questioned closely by senators about whether the U.S. should close its border with Mexico, where the outbreak apparently began and the casualties have been the greatest. She repeated the administration's position that questioning of people at borders and ports of entry was sufficient for now and said closing borders "has not been merited by the facts."
Dr. Richard Besser, the acting chief of the Centers for Disease Control, said in Atlanta that there are confirmed cases now in ten states, with 51 in New York, 14 in California and 16 in Texas. Two cases have been confirmed in Kansas, Massachusetts and Michigan, while a single cases have been reported in Arizona, Indiana, Nevada and Ohio.
In a possible outbreak north of the Mexican border, the commandant of the Marine Corps said a Marine in southern California might have the illness and 39 Marines were being confined on their California base until tests come back.
Marine General James Conway told a Pentagon briefing an initial test indicated the sick Marine - who was not identified - might have swine flu but his illness did not appear life-threatening.
Obama said he wanted to extend "my thoughts and prayers" to the family of a nearly two-year-old Mexican boy who died in Houston, the first confirmed U.S. fatality among more than five dozen infections. Health officials in Texas said the child had traveled with his family from Mexico, to Brownsville on April 4 and was brought to Houston after becoming ill. He died Monday night.
"This is obviously a serious situation," and "we are closely and continuously monitoring" it, Obama said of the spreading illness.
Those sentiments were echoed by the Senate's top Republican. "This is a very worrisome situation and we're all following it very closely," said Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky. "We stand ready to closely work with the administration to protect the American people as this situation unfolds."
Meanwhile, Egypt's government ordered the slaughter of all pigs in the country as a precaution, though no swine flu cases have been reported there. Egypt's overwhelmingly Muslim population does not eat pork, but farmers raise some 300,000-350,000 pigs for the Christian minority.
The disease is not spread by eating pork, and farmers were to be allowed to sell the meat from the slaughtered animals.
In fact, officials appeared to go out of their way on Wednesday to not call the strain "swine flu." Obama called the bug the "H1N1 virus."
"The disease is not a food-borne illness," Rear Adm. Anne Schuchat, CDC's interim science and public health deputy direct, told the Senate Homeland Security Committee.
She said the strain is particularly worrisome because "it's a virus that hasn't been around before. The general population doesn't have immunity from it."
People have various levels of protection against other more common types of flu because they are exposed to it over time, and that protection accumulates. She suggested that some older people might have more resistance to this particular strain than younger people because its traits might resemble outbreaks of decades ago.
Germany became the latest country to report swine flu infections. It reported four cases on Wednesday.
New Zealand's total rose to 14. Britain had earlier reported five cases, Spain four. There were 13 cases in Canada, two in Israel and one in Austria.
Obama said it is the recommendation of public health officials that authorities at schools with confirmed or suspected cases of swine flu "should strongly consider temporarily closing so that we can be as safe as possible."
He was underscoring advice that the CDC provided earlier to cities and states, and that some schools - most prominently in New York City - already have followed.
"If the situation becomes more serious and we have to take more extensive steps, then parents should also think about contingencies if schools in their areas do temporarily shut down, figuring out and planning what their child care situation would be," Obama advised.
He advised people to take their own precautions - washing hands, staying home if they are sick, and keeping sick kids home.
Obama said the federal government is "prepared to do whatever is necessary to control the impact of this virus." He noted his request for $1.5 billion in emergency funding to ensure adequate supplies of vaccines.
CDC for days has said people with flulike symptoms should stay home - but now also is stressing that other family members should consider staying home or at least limiting how much they go out until they're sure they didn't catch it.
Besser, the acting CDC director, called it "an abundance of caution," but stressed that it's voluntary and that the government hasn't urged actual quarantine, which isn't really effective with flu.

Check this out....Cannabis Science Inc. an emerging pharmaceutical cannabis company, reported today on the current state of development of its whole-cannabis lozenge in response to Homeland Security Administration Secretary Janet Napolitano’s declaration of a public health emergency to deal with the emerging Swine Flu pandemic. The Company’s non-toxic lozenge has properties that could alleviate many of the symptoms and harmful effects of the H5N1 bird flu and H1N1 swine flu viruses, and has offered its assistance to HSA today in a letter to Secretary Napolitano. The Company has offered to produce up to 1 million doses of its whole-cannabis lozenge, and provide them to HSA for distribution at cost.

Cannabis Science Inc., President & CEO, Steven W. Kubby said, “We have the science and preliminary anecdotal results confirming the anti-inflammatory properties of our new lozenges and indicating they may present an effective and non-toxic treatment for minimizing the symptoms and harm from influenza infections. Our lozenges appear to down-regulate the body’s excessive inflammatory response to the influenza virus, which could reduce the deadly consequences of an infection into something that is more like a common cold. Because of my cancer and diminished auto-immune functions, even common influenza is a deadly threat, and I’ve had incredible symptomatic relief with the lozenge.” .....take care..

Het TC-
Saw you post in another saying you've been under the weather. Hope you're ok.
I thought maybe you took the week to go fishing!

I yam packin the offroader right now with the K rats. Good yob I got the AK before the ban on automatic weaps. Plan is to take over the nearby tourist caverns. Once we control the access track --
wait, someones bangin on the doo

BB, Yep, feeling much better thanks. This winter has been a bad one for me, seems like every time I turn around I am on antibiotics. Brought the latest version back from SF. No fishing since I got back from SF, SERIOUS yard sale this weekend. I am doing Historical downsizing twenty years of collecting here at the nest. I can actually bring my lights upstairs now and have a WHOLE room to devote to the girls if I like, or better yet a room downstairs. If it does not rain much, I am gonna be a lot lighter around here. If it does rain, Salvation Army is gonna be a lot heavier. Yesterday I got rid of the big items, made over six hundred dollars. Those items were antiques/collectables that a local merchant bought.

And leafminer, let me know if those are the Shasta caverns, I have some small survival skills, some ammo, and lots of weed. JOKING everyone. Dont shoot! Could prolly make it there......in case of Nuclear Fallout....

Just was wondering about the "Swine Flu" and whether any here have been effected in any way. Like travel plans change, wearing of masks, kids home from school, actually sick, ect. With 109 cases in the US, dosent seem like much, it is the potential disaster that is so scarey.
The husband tells me to write....."Tell them I am working on my own meds to combat the swine flu" , guess he is refering to the Pot of Gold curing right now. Now I can tell him someone beat him to it with the lozenges above. I remember my grand mother telling me about the Spanish Flu after the WW I. She lost family members to it. I remember reading about it, and whole familys over on the coast found dead in their homes months after it was over. The World has changed since then in that respect, Airborn the movie.....

Well guys, I dunno if there is anyone else here that can say this, but I remember the 1958 flu. I was just a kid. I was in bed for two weeks; so weak I couldn't get up. When I finally felt better I got up and walked a couple of hundred yards and nearly collapsed, had to go back to bed. It took weeks to recover. If the same happens this time society is going to be disrupted in a major way.
People in Mexico are really, really angry with the US and their own government right now, as evidence is building that a major US company is responsible for this outbreak due to its industrial hog farming practices, bribing local officials to certify its plants, and so on.

leafminer, I heard on the news this morning, the pig plant owned by a US company near the town in Mexico that has so many outbreaks has been cleared of the Swine flu virus, by American testing. They are not calling it ground zero anymore. Maybe a HUGE bribe?

Conspiracy or no i thought it was frigging hilarious last night on the news where they said that you shouldn't ever shake hands with anyone any more instead you should bump elbows as your greeting them. :rofl:

Dubbaman said:
Conspiracy or no i thought it was frigging hilarious last night on the news where they said that you shouldn't ever shake hands with anyone any more instead you should bump elbows as your greeting them. :rofl:

I think they call that the 'Ebola handshake' as it is used by doctors like your CDC people togged up in protective kit when dealing with something infectious that's broken out in our environment.

Airports are not a good place to go atm in terms of risk methinks?

It may have been rude of me, but since I lost my spleen half a lifetime ago, I dont shake hands, and even more so after my heart caught a nasty staff areous (dont know the spelling, and I should) infection from a Dentist. Got new heart parts from that one.....ah life is sweet. I should have bought stock in a Pill company, I have taken so many antibiotics. I will be first in line for the Swine Vacine.

Thank you HIE, for the link, interesting looking at the British news on this. Below is from that artical.

Countries with confirmed cases of swine flu

US: 109 (1 Death)
Mexico: 312 (12 Deaths)
Canada: 34
New Zealand: 14
Spain: 13
UK: 10
Germany: 3
Israel: 2
Austria: 1
Costa Rica: 1
Peru: 1
Switzerland: 1
The Netherlands: 1
Figures obtained from the World Health Organization, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control.

Doesnt seem like many, but you must consider, many may have it, and not be "confirmed" yet.

Be well and be careful out there guys and girls.

Update:
I hear that the clinics have lines of sick people twice around the block, waiting to get in. Some people are mild cases but others are so ill with high fever that, quote "they can't even see properly" and some are so ill that people are supporting them. So don't dismiss this as a mild outbreak. We don't yet have a clear picture but it appears it can affect different people very differently.

Want to hear the real sick part of the story. I remember the last time there was a swine flu outbreak back in the mid 70s. The Governments then thought it was going to be so much worse than what it was at the time that they built up stock piles of antibiotics for it then and still have that stock pile now in case it comes to the pandemic that they are gearing us towards now. Heres my idea get off your azzes and start handing that stuff out so we dont have to watch more and more people die from a flu.

conspiracy?.. when pigs fly....
but.. but ... but... "swine flu".. :rofl:

instead you should bump elbows as your greeting them.
beats bumpin' "uglies" I reckon.. :p..

Just was wondering about the "Swine Flu" and whether any here have been effected in any way. Like travel plans change, wearing of masks, kids home from school, actually sick, ect.
big local celebration this weekend. Carnival, parade, vendors, ect., it attracts ppl from several western states. I'm not attending.
the wife says it's just an "excuse" not to go.. ;) I say it's a "reason".. :D

swine flu.jpg

I have survival skills as well. I have a vegetable garden and the fishing is good here. I'm also armed to the teeth :D. We need a secret handshake.

cshack.jpg

Watch this video and tell me you're not concerned :)

hXXp://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5k2hy_mind-control_tech

Update on the Swine Flu.
Sounds like good news.
Sounds like.

Friday, May 1, 2009
ATLANTA - The swine flu outbreak that has alarmed the world for a week now appears less ominous, with the virus showing little staying power in the hardest-hit cities and scientists suggesting it lacks the genetic fortitude of past killer bugs.

A flu expert said he sees no reason to believe the virus is particularly lethal. And a U.S. federal scientist said the germ's genetic makeup lacks some traits seen in the deadly 1918 flu pandemic strain and the more recent killer bird flu.

Still, it was too soon to be certain what the swine flu virus will do. Experts say the only wise course is to prepare for the worst. But in a world that's been rattled by the specter of a global pandemic, glimmers of hope were more than welcome Friday.

In New York City, which has the most confirmed swine flu cases in the U.S. with 49, swine flu has not spread far beyond cases linked to one Catholic school. In Mexico, the epicenter of the outbreak, very few relatives of flu victims seem to have caught it.

Officials in Mexico have voiced optimism for two days that the worst may be over. But Dr. Scott F. Dowell of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it's hard to know whether the outbreak is easing up in Mexico. "They're still seeing plenty of cases," Dowell said.

He said outbreaks in any given area might be relatively brief, so that they may seem to be ending in some areas that had a lot of illness a few weeks ago. But cases are occurring elsewhere, and national numbers in Mexico are not abating, he said.

Worldwide, the total confirmed cases neared 600, although that number is also believed to be much larger. Besides the U.S. and Mexico, the virus has been detected in Canada, New Zealand, China, Israel and eight European nations.

Scientists looking closely at the H1N1 virus itself have found some encouraging news, said Nancy Cox, flu chief at the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Its genetic makeup doesn't show specific traits that showed up in the 1918 pandemic virus, which killed about 40 million to 50 million people worldwide.

"However, we know that there is a great deal that we do not understand about the virulence of the 1918 virus or other influenza viruses" that caused serious illnesses, Cox said. "So we are continuing to learn."

She told The Associated Press that the swine flu virus also lacked genetic traits associated with the virulence of the bird flu virus, which grabbed headlines a few years ago and has killed 250 people, mostly in Asia.

There were still plenty of signs Friday of worldwide concern.

China decided to suspend flights from Mexico to Shanghai because of a case of swine flu confirmed in a flight from Mexico, China's state-run Xinhua News Agency reported.

And in Hong Kong, hundreds of hotel guests and workers were quarantined after a tourist from Mexico tested positive for swine flu, Asia's first confirmed case.

Evoking the 2003 SARS outbreak, workers in protective suits and masks wiped down tables, floors and windows. Guests at the hotel waved to photographers from their windows.

A top Mexican medical officer questioned the World Health Organization's handling of the early signs of the swine flu scare, suggesting Thursday that a regional arm of the WHO had taken too long to notify WHO headquarters of about an unusually late rash of flu cases in Mexico.

The regional agency, however, provided a timeline to the AP suggesting it was Mexico that failed to respond to its request to alert other nations to the first hints of the outbreak.

The Mexican official, chief epidemiologist Dr. Miguel Angel Lezana, backtracked Friday, telling Radio Formula: "There was no delay by the Mexican authorities, nor was there any by the World Health Organization."

In Mexico, where swine flu has killed at least 15 people and the confirmed case count has surpassed 300, the health secretary said few of the relatives of 86 suspected swine flu patients had caught the virus. Only four of the 219 relatives surveyed turned up as probable cases.

As recently as Wednesday, Mexican authorities said there were 168 suspected swine flu deaths in the country and almost 2,500 suspected cases. The officials have stopped updating that number and say those totals may have even been inflated.

Mexico shut down all but essential government services and private businesses Friday, the start of a five-day shutdown that includes a holiday weekend. Authorities there will use the break to determine whether emergency measures can be eased.

In the Mexican capital, there were no reports of deaths overnight - the first time that has happened since the emergency was declared a week ago, said Mayor Marcelo Ebrard.

"This isn't to say we are lowering our guard or we think we no longer have problems," Ebrard said. "But we're moving in the right direction."

The U.S. case count rose to 155 on Friday, based on federal and state counts, although state laboratory operators believe the number is higher because they are not testing all suspected cases. The U.S. death toll remained at one - a Mexican toddler who visited Texas with his family and died there.

President Barack Obama voiced hope Friday that the virus may turn out to be no more harmful than the average seasonal flu.

"It may turn out that H1N1 runs its course like ordinary flus, in which case we will have prepared and we won't need all these preparations," Obama said, using the flu's scientific name.

The president stressed the U.S. government was still taking the virus very seriously, adding that even if this round turns out to be mild, the bug could return in a deadlier form during the next flu season.

New York officials said after a week of monitoring the disease that the city's outbreak gives little sign of spreading beyond a few pockets or getting more dangerous. Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the outbreak in New York had so far proved to be "a relatively minor annoyance."

Researchers will get a better idea of how dangerous this virus is over the next week to 10 days, said Peter Palese, a leading flu researcher with Mount Sinai Medical School in New York.

So far in the United States, he said, the virus appears to look and behave like the garden-variety flus that strike every winter. "There is no real reason to believe this is a more serious strain," he said.

Palese said many adults probably have immune systems primed to handle the virus because it is so similar to another common flu strain.

As for why the illness has predominantly affected children and teenagers in New York, Palese said older people probably have more antibodies from exposure to similar types of flu that help them fight off infection.

"The virus is so close," he said.

In the United States, most of the people with swine flu have been treated at home. Only nine people are known to have ended up in the hospital, though officials suspect there are more.

Obama said the U.S. government is working to produce a vaccine down the road, developing clear guidelines for school closings and trying to ensure businesses cooperate with workers who run out of sick leave.

He pointed out that regular seasonal flus kill about 36,000 people in the United States in an average year and send 200,000 to the hospital.

We seem to forget that every year the flu does kill people. This flu does not seem to be very dangerous with a very low fatality rate. Most cases are mild so I am not worried, there's just too much hype in the media.
I have one question. If a cop gets the flu, isn't that always swine flu or just flu in swine?

I don't buy it, I never do.

Buncha fear mongering.....again.
Enjoy the show folks....

10. Tears flow from your eyes during a bedtime reading of Three Little Pigs
9. A small curly tail is growing at the top of your tailbone
8. When called to dinner, you head directly to the trough in the backyard
7. Your thumbs and big toes are missing
6. You apply mud instead of suntan lotion on a sunny day
5. You develop a liking for truffles
4. At each meal you literally lick your plate clean
3. You emit short snorts between sentences
2. When friends visit you, they remark, “Man, this place is a pigsty!”