Switching from soil to hydro mid-grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenDover

Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I am vegging in FoxFarm soil and I want to flower in an ebb and flow system that I set up.

Will I have any issues with the soil? I figure that I would remove as much loose soil as possible and then put the plants in the ebb and flow system with hydroton.

Any advice?

I think you're going to seriously shock the plant. Even if you're extra careful, you'll still be destroying the smaller roots, and the root hairs.

I think it'd be better to take cuttings off the potted plants, and veg/flower them in the ebb and flow.

Is there enough room for you to do that?

One idea I've read about is putting the potted plant right on top of the ebb/flow chamber. In that link, they were only flooding with water, but I bet if you used a nutrient solution, you could develop a nice nutrient root system. Just an idea though :)

Nope,
Don't even attempt it, you will lose your baby gauranteed. I tried many-many years ago, it don't fly.
You can certainly do as King Bud suggested. I think that when you have a plant in soil it grows a root stock that is appropriate for soil, and there are seriouse changes if you start a lot of plants in water. You have all probably seen a sweet potatoe in a jar growing root bound before right ?
The roots on the sweet potatoe are designed for a water habitat in that situation. If you put your roots into a solution now at this stage I think your going to drown them, or at least induce root rot. IMHO

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

hey BenDover,

all my hydro plants come from soil here:eek: only way I have ever done it myself... IMHO it's a great way to do it and I have had 100% success rate since i started hydro 5 years ago...

I just pop the plant out of the container and soak it in a bucket of water and swish it around then rinse clean in the sink. just be gentle and don't pour the hydroton but set it down by hand until root's are covered;) might have a day or 2 of shock but I have never seen anything major myself.

after 2-3 days I replace res. with fresh water.

I tried to find an write up about it in maximum yeild but had to take off before i did...

google will also find alot of info on doing this as well, It is a pretty common way of going into hydro...

I did a big right up 3-4 years ago on how to do it with pics over at GC.com so might want to search around there some as well...

did any more help or links just hit me with a PM;)

grow on

KingKahuuna said:
Nope,
Don't even attempt it, you will lose your baby gauranteed.
i havent lost my cheese yet, its been 4 days and its growing in a cup of water stuck into some foam, roots hang into a glass cup. but shes only 5 inches tall. (this is how you spell) Guaranteed to work, maby some people just ****, cus it worked fine my first time.

I just pop the plant out of the container and soak it in a bucket of water and swish it around then rinse clean in the sink. just be gentle and don't pour the hydroton but set it down by hand until root's are covered might have a day or 2 of shock but I have never seen anything major myself.

after 2-3 days I replace res. with fresh water.

I'll think that I will try that. I have 7 seedlings, so I was thinking that I can clone them first and then once I have the sex figured out, then I can move the mom's to flower.

ok man i was told last night from one of the very good hydro growers that he does it all the time and has never lost a plant but we use hydro water farm with hydroton ,,and he said i what he does is take the plant and let the root soak in a bucket of watter so the dirt mostly all falls out and then u take the root and gently run water on them to clean the rest of the dirt off ,,now all this has to be done with the upmost care u can ask him if u want it was HGB ,,that 6told me this cause i asked him the same question yesterday because i got a plant that i want to do the same thing on ,,he said it does shock the plant but only for a copple days and like i said he said he never lost a plant this way ,,but if for any reason ur plant is in flower dont try it then ,,but i hope this helps u a little and let me no how it goes and ill let u no how mine goes cause im gonna put mine in the water farm,,now im puting mine in hydroton like i said ,,so i dont no if u can do it if ur not useing hydroton because i did not ask him but any ways good luck bro ,,also ive lerned almost any thing is possible u just gotta try ,,and im gonna try it

lol i did not see that he already responded to the question lol duuu sorry guys ,,sorry HGB LOL,,I finaly thought i could help some one lol and i jumped into wrighting my answer before i read all the posts ,,lol sorry guys

tom-tom said:
lol i did not see that he already responded to the question lol duuu sorry guys ,,sorry HGB LOL,,I finaly thought i could help some one lol and i jumped into wrighting my answer before i read all the posts ,,lol sorry guys
:bong: <--- Was this you prior to opening this thread? :D

How long are you supposed to let them soak in the water for?

tom-tom said:

tis all good tom-tom :) :48:

IN

hello all,new to hydro and soil here ...but im flowering some plants that in just foolin around i dropped the seeds into a 2 gal pot and let em go..while i set up a hydro bio bucket system....i believe i have major root issues but suprisingly there some thin,long whispy buds with yellowing leaves at on lower limbs at 60 days now...is it way to late to do anything or plan on hashin' er....Also cloning some lavender and have questions on rooting????They are 13 days old in a 5 gal bucket with air and heat (74 deg)and see no roots.Should I be worried???????

Latest posts

Back