Switching Soils for Flowering Stage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffon

Reaction score
I currently am using Fox Farms Ocean Forrest on my white widows. I was planning on switching them into flowering very soon. I am going to switch them to a larger container for the flowering stage and was going to swap out the soil for a soil that is geared towards the flowering stage. I was planning on switching to Fox Farms Happy Tree Frog. Does this make sense to do? Or should I just stick with the current soil (Ocean Forrest) for the flowering stage?

I to am growing the WIDOW in FFOF. Three days before turning to 12/12 I transplanted into larger pots full of FFOF. Then about 2 1/2 weeks into flowering I felt my 3 gal pots were not big enough so I cut the bottoms off and put them on top of other pots. Again full of FFOF. I did all of this and the plants did not miss a beat. So as long as the ph is similar in the old to new soils. FF makes an exceptional product. Just go with it. Check out my GJ if you want to see some Bomb as$ pot plants!!!!!
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41308

Just make sure both soils drain about the same. And fyi, I <3 Happy Frog.

You'll do fine as long as you transplant to either the same or another similar quality soil. You might consider a mixture of some of the commercially available soils... I like to use a mix of roughly 30% FFOF, 25% Roots Organic soil, 20% FF Light Warrior, 10% worm castings and 15% chunky perlite. I also added some Azomite for trace minerals and dolomite limestone for ph control. OR... just go with FFOF! ;) I'm not hip to Happy Frog but have seen many posts with satisfied users...

Cheers!:cool:

Yes, be sure to keep the soil about the same.

Well I guess my question really is, aren't you supposed to switch the content of the nutrients (NPK level) for the flowering stage? I have plenty of the Ocean Forrest soil left to use, I just thought that it was specifically for Vegetative growth.

if i were you i really dont think it would make much of a diffrence. dont go waistin ur money just ude what u have.. but then again i havnt uses FF products

Griffon said:
Well I guess my question really is, aren't you supposed to switch the content of the nutrients (NPK level) for the flowering stage? I have plenty of the Ocean Forrest soil left to use, I just thought that it was specifically for Vegetative growth.

If you're going to give your girls aggressive feedings throughout the bloom you may want to lean away from going with hotter soil mixes like FFOF and use a soil or soiless product or maybe a 60/40 mix of FFOF with something less hot. Some growers prefer to put more nutrition in the soil and they will prep their soils well in advance with lots of organic amendments such as worm castings, bone meal, blood meal, manures, guanos and trace elements so that they get time to start breaking down the elements and are transplant ready when they need it. A soil this rich would only require water for most feedings with minimal additional nute supplements from time to time during the cycle. Basically the more you like to feed your girls during the bloom cycle, the less hot the soil mix needs to be. If you like to feed nutes most waterings you'll want to go with a less hot soil and add even more chunky perlite. If you tend to like to water less often and apply less nutes you may want to go with a richer soil.

Happy Growing!:cool:

I use FF produsts, and even after transplanting into OF before flowering I still started the bloom products rite on schedule. Just started out with a lower dosage, 1/4 strength. From My experience FFOF is a Hot soil, but your plant will require more nutes then the soil can provide durung flowering. I feed TB every third watering a full strength, and BB on a Feed,feed,water cycle. My girls love the nutes. They can't get enough. I found that the advantage of transplanting the fresh FFOF before flowering gives them the extra N they will need for their first stretch.

TB BB?? Big bloom and? I did research and figured out why I am paranoid/concerned about this soil.

Here it is... In the video section of this site (on the main page, not the forum) video three talks about having a lower nitrogen level and a higher phosphorus level during flowering. Lowering nitrogen makes sure the plant does not produce buds that are extra leafy. Increasing phosphorus is used for photo synthesis, respiration and creating energy compounds helping plants develop efficiently. (Phosphorus developes healthy buds and healthy seeds too)

So now, based on that information and based on the fact that I want to purchase a pre-made soil for flowering, what would you reccomend I do? That is why I bought the Happy Frog, because I thought that it had the "correct flowering porportions" I suppose I can feed a flowering nutrient based solution right away? I would most likely feed quarter strenth every other watering for the first week and then bump it up. Would that be a good alternative?

You'll be fine either way you go! I don't think you'll be able to find a soil that is perfect for your entire bloom cycle as a stand alone without any nutrients supplemented. While it's quite possible for you to put together a hot soil that will have all the correct organic bloom boosters but life will be much easier if you start with a decent soil mix whether it's FFOF, Happy Frog, Light Warrior, Roots Organics, etc. and use some quality nutes with it. Many growers even use a lot of soils like Miracle Gro that are readily available at Home Depot too. To each their own... I put my clones in FFOF + some amendments and then transplant to large pots a couple of weeks before flowering. I start giving them a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of grow and bloom nutes when I switch them to 12/12 and by week two I'm giving them all bloom base nutes and a P/K supplement and they do very well throughout flowering. I don't have any excessive N issues. Having some N (nitrogen) in the soil and as the bloom cycle goes on is a good thing and it will get used up by the plant. The bloom nutes you provide will give them all the P & K (phosphorus & potassium) that they need for prolific flowering and even a minimal amount of N for strong plant health.

Jman is referring to Tiger Bloom, a P & K flowering supplement made by Foxfarm. It works very well...

You'll do great giving them a regular nute regiment and your plan to start at 1/4 strength sounds good. You'll want to ramp up the nutes so that they peak in strength weeks 4 and 5 of your 12/12 bloom cycle and then you'll reduce the strength each week until a week or so before you harvest when you'll switch to plain water or water with a clearing solution to leach any remaining unused fertilizer out of the soil for a smooth smoke.

Peace!:cool:

thanks dirty! So, I am going to transplant to bigger pots tomorrow. The soil will be ocean forest... I will water them, then the next day or two later i will feed them with Bloom nutrients (quarter strength) every watering will be quarter strength then each week i will progressively go up a quarter strength. Wish me luck!

Griffon said:
thanks dirty! So, I am going to transplant to bigger pots tomorrow. The soil will be ocean forest... I will water them, then the next day or two later i will feed them with Bloom nutrients (quarter strength) every watering will be quarter strength then each week i will progressively go up a quarter strength. Wish me luck!

Glad to help Grif... My only BIG suggestion: If you can swing it, mix in some perlite - chunky if you can get it but any size is cool - with your FFOF at roughly an 80/20 mixture of FFOF to perlite. This will really help your soil drain better for your grow and it will make the soil much harder to over-water. Perlite is also cheaper than soil so by cutting your soil with it you'll stretch out your soil dollar all the while improving your medium's drainage.

Good Luck!:cool:

DOS has been at this a lot longer than I, so heed what he's telling you, Griff. But when alone and in doubt, use this with a light hand:
htXXtp://www.foxfarmfertilizer.com/soilfeed.pdf

Latest posts

Back