T5 Help- Long veg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Type_S150

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm starting a new grow, and would like to use T5's this time (instead of the hps i used last time). I've been reading and looking online, but Im getting a little confused as to what spectrum and how many bulbs I need. If someone could help suggest some lighting I would really appreciate it.

I plan on doing a pretty long veg of around 4 weeks. I'll have 12 girls to start, but Im thinking before the 4 weeks is up, the girls will already be in 5 gal pots (dirt). Can someone tell me how many fixtures/bulbs and what spectrum Ill need to veg these girls for 4 weeks? I guess i need around 60K lumens- so how many fixtures/bulbs is that? Thanks for the help- This is onlt for Veg, I will be using HPS for the main flowering light, and add the T5 for added side lighting.

UKgirl420 said:
in a 54w t5 your looking at 5000lumens

so your looking at around 12 bulbs

and you want blue spectrum 6500k for vegging
Thanks. So 12 bulbs will fill enough space to span across (12) 5 gal buckets? Whats the SQft a T5 covers?

Im useing T'g for my grow now, i bought an extra light blulb for mine. so i use the veg bulb and the bloom bulb, and thats to give it both spectrums. i love these lights they give off good light and it's really all u need for vegg'n and clones, and mother plants

oh yea, my plants are 4-5 weeks now. check out my grow old and current and see my results. i also flowered a plant under it and it turned out good

BluntFullOfKush said:
oh yea, my plants are 4-5 weeks now. check out my grow old and current and see my results. i also flowered a plant under it and it turned out good
Wow, the ones in that 2nd grow look very big. I was a little confused though, did you say you are also using 1 flowering bulb spectrum for veg? Hopefully I will be able to switch to T5 all the way through, but it looks like I would need about (3)8 bulb T5 fixtures to equal about (1)1000w hps (140,000 lumens). Does that sound about right?

My calculations are about $1000 for T5 to equal 1 hps that only cost me $400 with an air cooled hood. Does that sound right, or am i missing something?

Type_S150 said:
Wow, the ones in that 2nd grow look very big. I was a little confused though, did you say you are also using 1 flowering bulb spectrum for veg? Hopefully I will be able to switch to T5 all the way through, but it looks like I would need about (3)8 bulb T5 fixtures to equal about (1)1000w hps (140,000 lumens). Does that sound about right?

My calculations are about $1000 for T5 to equal 1 hps that only cost me $400 with an air cooled hood. Does that sound right, or am i missing something?

Actually you would need about 3 8 bulb fixtures and 1 4 bulb fixture--(28) 54W 5000 lumen bulbs. Besides the extra initial outlay, you are going to use over 1500W of T5s to get the same lumens a 1000W HPS puts out.

Type_S150 said:

sorry it took me a while to reply,i was outta town. but yes, i use 1 bloom blub and 1 veg bulb. im starting the flowering with it now, but imma put them under the 400w l8ter this week.

thedonofchronic said:
4 weeks of veg isnt that long at all
i have height restrictions and i still pull off 4-5 weeks of veg

Yea tell me about height restictions, LOL it can be a realf pain. right now i have them in a dresser thats about 2 ina half-3feet high,and 1 inna half -2 feet deep, 3 feet wide. thats jus the grow box. i had to do some crazy LST'n to keep my ladies happy, and have enough space. but i did a few flower cyles complete in it

Type S150: Go to e-conolight.com and check out 8 lamp T5HO Linear Fluorescent including fixture, cord, and lamps for $140.90+ $10 shipping.

About 2'X4'=8 sq ft. area coverage.. 40,000 lumens=5,000 lumens/sq ft. Ideal to scrog 8 plants with 12"X12" screens.

4100K, 5000k and 6400k are all good for veg, and 2700k and 3000k for flower. Many fluoro tube growers combine warm and cool tubes for a mixed spectrum that plants seem to prefer.

Keep plants within 4" of lights and use a cheap $store fan blowing along the lamps above the plants. (Again, if you scrog you will have very even and intense light to every bud for maximum yield.)

Just a thought.....

Latest posts

Back