taking cuttings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shimmz22

Reaction score
hey all im currently about to finish up week 4 of my grow. I am growing in soil and am thinking about taking some cuttings before putting my plants into flower. My question is, when i take a cutting from a plant am i minimizing my yield by doing this? So if i were to take a clone from all my plants isnt that a spot bud could be growing? How many clones can you take off of one plant at a time? Any input on this matter = REPS.

P.S. i will be letting my plants veg another week after i take the cuttings

:ciao: shimmz22...:48:

not sure I wanna say takeing a cutting will minimize...the plant will slow down for the first few days or so..then regain its growth...also by doing this you will get 2 main colas instead of just one...rule of thumb...never take more then 1/3 of the plant at one time...and at week four Im thinking ya have a couple more weeks befor they show sex....be sure to lable your cuttings to what plant ya took them from..sounds like ya gonna force flower befor them showing eh?

I prune the lower 1/4 of my plants before flipping them anyway so I use those for my clones most times....I also use the top when I top my plants and this usually becomes a new mom because I like the way the tops stay short and squat for me. You basically trade the lower crappy popcorn buds for clones that will become full sized plants if you veg long enough....jmo

and thats if ya take the tops as the clone...if ya can take from the lower stalk would be best..and is useless crap in flower anyway...now give me my joint back:p...:rofl:

shimmz22 said:
hey all im currently about to finish up week 4 of my grow. I am growing in soil and am thinking about taking some cuttings before putting my plants into flower. My question is, when i take a cutting from a plant am i minimizing my yield by doing this? So if i were to take a clone from all my plants isnt that a spot bud could be growing? How many clones can you take off of one plant at a time? Any input on this matter = REPS.

Hey bud,

Good advice from our palz... :aok: I suggest taking lower branches and branches inside the canopy for cuttings since they won't get much light anyhow when you flower being so low in the canopy.;) You could also wait until you have a big enuf side branch to take a cutting rather than a main branch too... It's all up to you. It sounds like you have a good plan... Take some cuts and then put it into flower after a week's recovery. As far as how many cuts you can take it all depends on how big your plant is. I wouldn't remove more than 25+% ish or so of material from any plants at any one time. You can let the plant recover and prune again in a few days early in flowering. Although some peeps don't believe in doing any pruning in flower, personally I'll prune up til around 2 weeks into flower or so then I leave the plant alone...

Happy Growing~! :cool:

shimmz22 said:

The advice you have already been given is perfect.

If you take your cuttings at least two weeks before flowering you are not hurting yield at all because the plant will have time to recover and throw new shoots. If you take your clones from the lowest branches/shoots on your plants yes you are destroying bud sites on the plant, but the plant is going to recover with new growth and the shoots you are cutting are going to be low on your plants and not getting much light/growth anyway. The advice on not taking more than 1/3 is also perfect. If I have 12 shoots and a top on one plant I will take at most 3 or 4 clones from that plant.

-SSF-

The advice about where to take clones from is spot on. I personally take them from the bottom/underneath the canopy and one from the top.
The thing I would ask is, did your grow start from seed or clone?
If from seed, is it sexually mature yet? (Alternating nodes on the main stem will tell you this) This doesnt matter with clones as they are the same age as the donor plant.
My reason for mentioning this is that if you put the plant into flower before it is sexually mature, it wont start flowering until it is. Therefore you would be better to wait until it is mature, maximising your veg time.
Green mojo. W

You didn't mention the strain or sex of the plants, but don't forget to label them. It's easy to forget and think it's not important, then wish you had later. To me, this is especially important if you wish to "weed" out the males. Female plants produce female clones (obviously). If you label the clones, then you can take the exact clone of your best producing female and use that as the next clone donor (mother).
Cloning is one of those things that sounds complicated until you do it. It's fairly easy.
Best of luck !!

Latest posts

Back