Temp control the key to big crops

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafminer

Bloody H E L L !
Reaction score
For some years I have been puzzled by the fact that tomatoes grow faster and far better in old coolers than in regular pots.
I feel that the explanation is probably that the coolers insulate the root environment from temperature changes.
It might be worth thinking about using some form of pot insulation.
I intend doing an experiment to determine if I'm correct.

Thats crazy I need to find me an old cooler and drill some holes in the bottom and give a go. : )

i know the seedlings grow much faster in a styrafoam cup as to a solo cup...which is plastic...theres some help for your experiament..im with ya on the root system beeing warmer creadting more root growth..will be interesting to see your findings my friend..Keep me posted..:48:

Look at 420Benny's Multi Strain outdoor grow.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40183&page=18

He grew out the same strain- 1 in a pot, the other in the ground. The temperature fluctuations were quite severe at times (both grown outdoors).

The difference in growth was staggering- the only variable (as far as Benny could tell) was the temperature at the roots. Interesting stuff.

Yeah i just posted a note on Bennys page there. Cool. I am pretty much certain now that we should have a rethink on containers. The past approach has been too simplistic. I vote for Benny as head of the container working group!
So what parameters make sense for a container? I'll have a stab at it:

1. Keep the roots at a stable temperature as cool as possible and in darkness.
2. Be robust (not easily damaged) (rules out styrofoam etc)
3. Cheap.
4. Environmentally acceptable (rules out styrofoam etc)
5. Compatible with the air-pruning idea.

leafminer said:
Yeah i just posted a note on Bennys page there. Cool. I am pretty much certain now that we should have a rethink on containers. The past approach has been too simplistic. I vote for Benny as head of the container working group!
So what parameters make sense for a container? I'll have a stab at it:

1. Keep the roots at a stable temperature as cool as possible and in darkness.
2. Be robust (not easily damaged) (rules out styrofoam etc)
3. Cheap.
4. Environmentally acceptable (rules out styrofoam etc)
5. Compatible with the air-pruning idea.

I'm with you in that Benny should head up this task. Unfortunately we're going to have to wait a year before we can get more testing done as he is an outdoor grower.

I don't know what the ideal soil temperature should be for roots, but I think as you say, stability is the key. My soil maintains a pretty constant 72 degrees- which is probably a little on the warm side, though I wouldn't know how to cool it without impacting air temps significantly.

Evidently stupid garden centres are selling the wrong products!

Insulating anything has limited benefits. Insulation does nothing but slow the transfer of heat or cold. It will only take a short amount of time before your container will be the same temp as the ambient temps around it. This can be tested and verified.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Insulating anything has limited benefits. Insulation does nothing but slow the transfer of heat or cold. It will only take a short amount of time before your container will be the same temp as the ambient temps around it. This can be tested and verified.

The slow transfer could be key. Not as much fluctuation, like the greater mass of ground?

Growing in a DWC will show you all about root temps. THe cooler the water,,(up to a point) the whiter and healthier the root system.;)

Could one..make a water cooled pot??? my water in my res stays cold... small pvc pipe or copper pipping wrapped around a pot. then insulated would keep the cold water transfer in and the heat to the surface.. providing the insulation is of some reflective color. not black. the coil could either be laid around the inside of the pot or outside. i would think you would have better temp control if it was on the out side of the pot and not in direct contact with the roots... just a thought..
LH

I thought the key to good growth was a warm root system? Why do you all want cold roots?

maineharvest said:
I thought the key to good growth was a warm root system? Why do you all want cold roots?

Hey Maine-

I think the consensus so far is temperature stability. When growing outdoors (in the ground) the temperature of the ground remains pretty constant with gradual increases into summer and slow declines into autumn.

In indoor growing I think the soil temps fluctuate more in response to the air temps in our grow space. That is why the discussion of insulated pots was raised. What the ideal temp is, I don't know.

BBFan said:
Hey Maine-

I think the consensus so far is temperature stability. When growing outdoors (in the ground) the temperature of the ground remains pretty constant with gradual increases into summer and slow declines into autumn.

In indoor growing I think the soil temps fluctuate more in response to the air temps in our grow space. That is why the discussion of insulated pots was raised. What the ideal temp is, I don't know.

interesting stuff...

Anyone ever hear of geothermal heating and cooling? Know why it works?

Airpots keep the root zone cooler than normal pots because of the amount of surface area open to evaporation. No need to reinvent the wheel.

...Watercooled pots, ha that would be awesome to see.

Yeah I was in Malwart yesterday and I saw they had rectangular poly foam coolers at about $5 each. I think I am going to do an experiment. Umm. . . I am gonna have to set controls and this is gonna be a prob for me because come March, I cannot maintain indicas any more and switch to outdoor sativas.

- Ah. Obvious answer: I will conduct my experiment using ... beans or tomatoes (I mean actual beans)

My best guess in all of this, is that there probably is a 'Goldilocks' temp zone that the roots like best and that probably the veg parts have a much wider tolerance, but also have a Goldilocks zone for best growth - and maybe a different one for optimum dense bud.

PencilHead said:
Anyone ever hear of geothermal heating and cooling? Know why it works?

I use to do this in my company using water or ground temps as a constant to work from. Anything but cheap ~

Latest posts

Back