The UK gets a bit of snow - end of the world!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorn

Micro Queen
Reaction score
hXXp://news.aol.co.uk/travel-woes-as-snow-falls-across/article/20090201225855183200775

Hehe we had a few inches of snow, and as this barely happens the world has to stop. Loads of schools shut, people take the day off etc etc. I mean I know its exciting but come on, places like russia and canada deal with this for months and far more snow and the world don't stop for them.

Ahh my own country annoys me so much sometimes :rolleyes:

I'm looking after my nephew today, he's 6, so we're gonna go out after I 'wake up' and make snow angels. I bet he cries if I get him with a snowball!! Oh i'm so cruel... :p

Have fun all :D

Yes Thorn,I was well surprised this morning and had to pop into my loft and redirect my vent output back into my flat to make sure my roof snow doesn't melt.

Took my cats out to see what they make of it and they were NOT amused!

Yowling away like Boris Johnson on acid!

DSC_0070.JPG

DSC_0077.JPG

DSC_0080.JPG

We have about 1/4 of an inch of snow.

That means the Trains will stop, the Schools will shut and people will panic buy from the shops :rolleyes:

;)

I reckon the main reason they shut the schools is because the kids are so lively and excited about the snow and the teachers can't be bothered with that, too much effort :p

We just been out in it, its very nice fluffy snow, hard to make a snowman, but I will give it a try later!!! Just started snowing lightly again :D Ooh int it exciting hehe lol

hi everyone. yeah i agree. it took me 1 hour to make a 15 minute journey, when i took my son to school this morning. everyone drives like such fannys. im not saying they have to drive like mad people. but some people take the mickey!..im a bit miserable. i dont like the snow at all. too slippery too cold and it causes people to panic!...nightmare or what!

hahha i must admitt i love it ,,at ,least it makes the grey UK look bright ,,,:peace:

Too funny. Its the same exact way when we get snow or ice. But we don't mind being stuck inside the house. Much better then being out in the mess. People in my state don't have any ideas on how to drive in ice, including me. :p

Our schools were closed last Weds. By Weds afternoon it warmed up nicely and melted all of it. School was back in session Thurs. :)

I hate cold weather!!! C'mon spring.

yesterday was the first day we had above freezing temps.but its back today in force.

you guys been getting hammered andy..

Serve ice cold.

It started as a full bottle but I got a little bit cold, so I went indoors to fetch a straw :hubba:

2 jd.JPG

wow.

We are expecting 70f temps throughout the rest of the week...
No more than an inch of rain so far, most counties are considering mandatory water rationing...no more carwashing or lawn watering.

See?

Monday, Feb 2
More Details/AccuPop™
Sunny
Plenty of sunshine
Low: 42 °F
High: 69 °F

Tuesday, Feb 3
More Details
Sunny
A full day of sunshine
Low: 44 °F
High: 69 °F

Wednesday, Feb 4
More Details
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly cloudy
Low: 49 °F
High: 67 °F

Thursday, Feb 5
More Details
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly cloudy, rain possible
Low: 47 °F
High: 60 °F

Friday, Feb 6
More Details
Cloudy
Cloudy with rain possible
Low: 42 °F
High: 59 °F

Saturday, Feb 7
More Details
Partly Sunny
Partly sunny
Low: 45 °F
High: 62 °F

Sunday, Feb 8
More Details
Mostly Sunny
Mostly sunny
Low: 45 °F
High: 61 °F

Monday, Feb 9
More Details
Intermittent Clouds
Times of clouds and sun
Low: 43 °F
High: 61 °F

Tuesday, Feb 10
More Details
Intermittent Clouds
Periods of sun
Low: 39 °F
High: 63 °F

Wednesday, Feb 11
More Details
Sunny
Abundant sunshine
Low: 37 °F
High: 62 °F

Thursday, Feb 12
More Details
Partly Sunny
Partial sunshine
Low: 35 °F
High: 59 °F

Friday, Feb 13
More Details
Mostly Sunny
Mostly sunny and windy
High: 56 °F

Saturday, Feb 14
More Details
Mostly Sunny
Mostly sunny
High: 53 °F

Sunday, Feb 15
More Details
Mostly Cloudy w/ Showers
Variable clouds, showers
Low: 37 °F
High: 53 °F

Perfectly Disastrous Weather. I am expecting an earthquake at ANY moment. Ever since the '89 Santa Cruz earthquake I have been fascinated with plate tectonics and have studied independently on the subject.

We are in the "Red Zone" as far as earthquake weather and immanence goes.

Things are extremely dry and brittle. I guess the midwest and looks like england have stolen our rain..

Why is that disarsterous effen? You got a lot of sunshine there! :rolleyes:

Here's an update..

news.aol.co.uk/uk-hit-by-worst-snow-for/article/20090202104809990001"]http://news.aol.co.uk/uk-hit-by-worst-snow-for/article/20090202104809990001

Pathetic isn't it.

"More than 50 schools in Birmingham and the Black Country were forced to close. Around 400 schools in Essex were closed, about three quarters of the schools in the county."

There's your closed schools UKgirl... lol I grew up near where you live and so saw a lot of snow when I was younger, real snow, not just a few inches so maybe they more equiped up there?

Running along 2/3 of the western portion of California (Above S.F. in Pacifica down through Baja) is the San Andreas Fault. This is a Slip type fault, meaning two tectonic plates are sliding past each other. The more moist the ground, the more "Lubrication" or even "Flexibility" the fault line has. With dry, hot brittle weather the plates can "Crack" and slide past each other. Plus the dry ground will transfer vibrations more effectively than wet or damp ground.

So much for "Intelligent Design" huh?

Well done TEG, you just perplexed Thorn to the point of her having to go and research it ;)

Just kiddin Thorn :)

Do you feel the mini tremors TEG?

It is continually moving, some movements slide it to a lesser pressure, some to a greater pressure, im simply curious as to if you are constantly being aware that nature is showing its ability to change.

The crust and upper mantle bounderies continually rub each other, its a bit like a pressure cooker, steam has to vent in cooking, pressure needs to vent with plate movement, if we didnt have volcano's the earth would pop like a balloon over stretched, if we didnt have plate movement we would have a essentially a pressure bomb waiting to explode.

:peace:

Not usually, I am in a "interesting" location geology wise.

I check shake and quake maps more often than I check the weather reports.

Reason I am so nervous is because I indeed have not felt ANY minor quakes since last year....

The absence of movement is the presence of danger.
Many geologists in my area agree...we are staring a large gun down the wrong end here...

Coupled with the climate change and a undeniable shift in weather patterns ofver at LEAST five or six years (of anomalous weather) something is coming and It is not going to be good.

If it's not an earthquake...if will be fire.

California is going to burn next year...much worse than '08.

Enjoy your snow you limey bastards.(Kidding)

Silence is never good, its like women, if she goes quiet, she is going to blow, the same with your plates, the question is not is it going to happen, its when.

Ever wondered why they nature is called Mother?

Its a she.

True.

...and I cannot help the feeling she is really upset with us.

All of us.

I do pay attention to her. Extremely close attention. I pay attention because most people in my WORTHLESS generation are not. They are more focused on social classes, posessions and irealevent media such as American Idol and Myspace.

Some of the trees in my area are confused. Meaning they had stopped dropping leaves (maple?) and have started producing flowers...IN JANUARY!!!

Something crazy is going on. I feel like this is just the beginning too. The UNDENIABLE beginning of some crazy weather patterns that may indeed become catastrophic and have devastating effetcs on agriculture states like California.

Good thing I grow weed...

There are still readers of nature in this world, not studiers, readers, people who live the life, people who rely on passed down knowledge, people who remember the old ways.

The interesting fact is they know, what modern man now knows, thousands of years ago.

Mankind ignored this, then the value of money arrived.

Industrialisation has had its effect on the rumbling giant, just because we abuse its surface, does not mean balanced resources for millennia are not causing repercussions below.

Latest posts

Back