Time to pull

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

six_seven_one

Reaction score
Hey MPers, I have this girl that I'm considering to pull soon.
On Sat she will be 8 weeks into flower but I feel that I should wait alittle longer. Just to be sure
I know I should be using the trichs to determine harvest but I lost the scope I had and cant find one around my area.

Heres one question... My friend believes that waiting to long will make the high weaker, is this true??

She has been getting alittle nute burn even though I used the FF nute chart.
What u guys think??? :hubba:

q 001.jpg

q 002.jpg

q 003.jpg

six_seven_one said:
Heres one question... My friend believes that waiting to long will make the high weaker, is this true??

It is absolutely true. As the plant ages, THC will degrade in the trichs. When the trichs turn black, there is little to no thc left in them. It's at the point where it is no longer producing new growth (along with new trichs) that potency begins to drop with the decay of the existing trichomes.

That being said, it looks very sativa dominant and you could be sacrificing significant yield and potency by harvesting too early. It could easily go another couple weeks for you. I usually go at least 10 weeks with sativa dominant plants.

No where local for you to find a hand held scope or magnifying glass? Unless you've grown the strain before and are familiar with its traits at harvest time, IMO the only way to tell is by checking the trichs.

The yellowing leaves is normal at this stage of flowering, so it may not be nute related.

You could also do some selective harvesting- chop off the main cola, lower the lights, and let those popcorn buds do some more growing. Just a thought.

Looking good though! Sorry can't be much help from here. Good luck with her!

If you cant look at the trichs (turn from clear to cloudy/amber), look for the white hairs to be turning red, 50% or more, time to go. I have let plants go long before, (week or so, not much longer obviously) with no ill effect. The high does not get weak, but it does change how it will affect you. Early chop is generally preferable because you get more uppy high and less paranoia. There are threads about this too, and what happens to the THC/trichs as it ripens. It would take a LOOONG time of abuse to see black trichs or wrecked thc.

I would never harvest a plant without checking the trichs. The hairs are not a good indicator at all. It does not take a long time of abuse to see black trichs. This is the natural progression--they go from clear to cloudy to amber to black. The THC will degrade if you let your plant go too long--no abuse necessary.

However, that being said, I think you have a least a couple of weeks left. For goodness sakes, go get another scope or order a loupe off e-bay for $5.

The Hemp Goddess said:
For goodness sakes, go get another scope or order a loupe off e-bay for $5.

How strong does a loupe have to be? is 10x strong enough?

at least 30x...I have a 30 and 45x I like what Soma has to say about harvesting..."if you think your plant is finished wait another week."

MikeOrganix said:
If you cant look at the trichs (turn from clear to cloudy/amber), look for the white hairs to be turning red, 50% or more, time to go. I have let plants go long before, (week or so, not much longer obviously) with no ill effect. The high does not get weak, but it does change how it will affect you. Early chop is generally preferable because you get more uppy high and less paranoia. There are threads about this too, and what happens to the THC/trichs as it ripens. It would take a LOOONG time of abuse to see black trichs or wrecked thc.

There are many anomalies that can cause pistils to die(turn red),(heat, damage, pests, stress, pollen,....) only one being ripening of the flowers. Pistil color is NOT an effective means of judging ripeness/maturity.

I have an Afghan Orange cross that the pistils turn orange weeks before the plants is ready for harvest. I never go by pistil color to determine "ripeness".

MikeOrganix said:
It would take a LOOONG time of abuse to see black trichs or wrecked thc.

Hey there Mike.

What would you consider a LOOONG time? I've seen some black trichs in a plant (perfectly cared for but beyond peak) but never saw one with all black trichs. Any idea how long it takes?

Thanx everyone. I'm gonna order a scope today just so I'm not guessing on harvest time.

Heres another quick question. Is it a good idea to spray the plant alittle with plain water?
The leaves feel too dry at times and Im thinking of doing this.

Thanx Again

no dont spray plants or mist when they are this far along in budding it encourages mold and mildew. the leaves are dying because it is towards the end..is it getting enough water? prob just the nute burn

:yeahthat: :yeahthat:

What she said!

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back