To the Sparkys out there 220V to 110V outlet conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

ROSTERMAN

OK been a while since I played with sparks and wanted to pick some brains about it.
I just removed a 220 hot tub and now am sitting with a dedicated 220 line coming up through middle of my deck.
I want to convert this to a duplex 110 outdoor outlet , I remember I need to change the breakers back to 20amp in panel and the neutral gets connected to N in panel, but I was wondering would it be better to install another 70amp sub panel outside on wall and run new outlets from it?
Any input?

I was thinking of just splitting the two hot legs and using it that way but that is unsafe correct?

OK been a while since I played with sparks and wanted to pick some brains about it.
I just removed a 220 hot tub and now am sitting with a dedicated 220 line coming up through middle of my deck.
I want to convert this to a duplex 110 outdoor outlet , I remember I need to change the breakers back to 20amp in panel and the neutral gets connected to N in panel, but I was wondering would it be better to install another 70amp sub panel outside on wall and run new outlets from it?
Any input?
Well I was an electrician for many years, in later years the was combined with industrial refrigeration. Most of my time was on/in industrial systems so usually 3 phase.
America has an odd electrical system different from most countries in using mostly 110v for domestic use and, when needed, derive 220 volts across two incoming phases. Whereas most(?) countries, mainly use 220 for domestic power supplies which is derived between 1 pH and neutral.
If I was looking at your distribution board (or my sons - who lives in the US) I could offer sensible advice.
From my place here in Spain (220 V with plenty of twisted joints (electrical ones, - not doobies).
If you get stuck send me a couple of pics of inside of your dB with covers removed & I'll research it & try & help.

But broadly yes, you should be able to use one leg and a neutral to give you 2 x 110v outlets

Well I was an electrician for many years, in later years the was combined with industrial refrigeration. Most of my time was on/in industrial systems so usually 3 phase.
America has an odd electrical system different from most countries in using mostly 110v for domestic use and, when needed, derive 220 volts across two incoming phases. Whereas most(?) countries, mainly use 220 for domestic power supplies which is derived between 1 pH and neutral.
If I was looking at your distribution board (or my sons - who lives in the US) I could offer sensible advice.
From my place here in Spain (220 V with plenty of twisted joints (electrical ones, - not doobies).
If you get stuck send me a couple of pics of inside of your dB with covers removed & I'll research it & try & help.
Thanks It can be done safely but I forgot the steps.
it gets split at the phases and has to be grounded to ground as opposed to the neutral, then change the 50 amp breakers out to either 20 or 15 amps.
I plan to get another hot tub so it looks like I need to do an outdoor breaker box sub panel.
Thank You

Latest posts

Back