The LOFT Build - In the shed with burner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burner

Reaction score
Alright ladies and gents, I decided to step my game up and build a proper grow room. No more micro grows for me. I decided my Loft is the best spot to do this, it's going to be a lot of work, but i'm hoping to have it done within 5-6 weeks. This room will only be used fall/winter/spring. I'm in NJ and it gets pretty cold here in the winter, it can go single digits during the night. The shed is not currently insulated and does not have electricity to it. Those are the first two things i'm doing.

I plan to use half the loft as my room, leaving half for storage and what not. Check the sketches for dimensions & plans. I'm going to frame out the whole room itself and insulate roof and walls, then frame out the flower box. Plywood on the outside, most likely R-14 fiberglass insulation(since I have a few rolls), vapor barrier and drywall interior walls.

I have a few issues i'm still trying to work out because I haven't dealt with anything like this.

I think i'm going to have to install a new 20amp breaker and run a dedicated line out to the shed. Things I need to run:

• 600 watt HPS
  • 700-1500 watt ceramic heater
  • 80-110 watt fan + fan speed controller
  • 200 watts +/- CFLS, T8's, or T5's
  • misc. Fans
Flower Box Specs:
4' x 3' x 3'8" :: 12 sq. ft. :: 40 cubic ft.

I'm not sure how much air I want to be exchanging because of the colder temps.
I plan on having a passive intake pulling the colder air from the shed itself and another pulling warmer air from the loft room. I will most likely exhaust the warmer air into the loft room as well to help with temps; also will plan to exhaust it right out of the shed, there's a window that opens that can be used for exhaust. I think it will be worth hooking the heater up to a thermostat to better control the room temp itself and so it's not on all the time.

Veg/clone/mother/work area will be 4' x 4'
Haven't decided if it would be better to just section off an area and have a fan moving air around there or actually build a contained box for this. There will be passive intakes, if I decided to just run this area open, I'll most likely put a PC fan or 2 blowing fresh air into the room

I think that's about it, i'm sure i'll think of more stuff to add, but please give me some input, I'm still unsure about some things and want to do this right ONCE:D and not have to worry later on.

elevation2.png

Elevation.png

plan.png

Here's the future spot in the flesh

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

Looks like you have a good handle on what you need to do. You are pretty much going to need to scrog or lst.

I would recommend a fan that exhausted hot air from the vegging room into the flowering room during lights out. This will help with the need for heat.

Yeah THG I was thinking the same thing..it will deff be beneficial. What would you recommend as far as air changes? I really don't have a grasp on what to aim for with the colder temps. I also am unsure of the fan, is it worth getting the 6" and turning it way down or getting the 4" and dialing it down some?

I would get the 6" and a speed controller. Let's give some thought to your ventilation. You will probably need to alter it a bit for the different seasons.

Are you planning on doing scrog or lst?

I know everyone says go bigger, and the 6" isn't much more money so I will go with that and the controller. I'm not sure yet on the scrog or LST, I keep going back and fourth on it, what are your thoughts on it?

:ciao: burner

mojo for the grow...I use a cadet heater in the shed and rooms run on temp controllers...Theres a built in thermostat in the cadet..we dont get as cold as what you say yall do and i like the idea that THG said about dumping your hot air from veg into the flower room when lights off in flower but not sure how ya not have air dumping in when lights on:confused: Most important IMO is insolation...let me know if I can help..SHeds are great to grow in

take care and be safe

4u2sm0ke said:

mojo for the grow...I use a cadet heater in the shed and rooms run on temp controllers...Theres a built in thermostat in the cadet..we dont get as cold as what you say yall do and i like the idea that THG said about dumping your hot air from veg into the flower room when lights off in flower but not sure how ya not have air dumping in when lights on:confused: Most important IMO is insolation...let me know if I can help..SHeds are great to grow in

take care and be safe

Timer controlled fan--and it doesn't need to be a large fan. I am guessing that a smaller muffin fan would work. I would locate it near the top of the vegging box however, so you were getting the warmest air.

Your gonna have fun in there...The greenest of mojo for your new space.

I would second that vote for using the 6" inline fan. I use a 440 cfm inline for my 400w and still run at 3/4- full , granted your space is slightly larger than mine so you have a larger air volume to change and won't heat up:evil: as quickly as mine might. So i would think that you might be better off having the power if you need it ,rather than need it and not have the power:cry: . Btw , thats just to maintain a steady 78-80 degrees in summer, in my particular situation.
Very nice spot you have there!:)

I figured your amperage to be right at 21amps which is just out of the 20a breaker range. I would suggest that you get some 12/2 all weather wiring(from home depot or Lowes) to run your power out from your house to the building. This wiring can handle 30a, and has 2 coated wires and one bare ground wire. That would give you enough for any expansion that you may want. Make sure its the kind that can be buried without having to run conduit(unless you just want to run it in conduit).

Lowes also has some stuff called Tekfoil that is like the stuff you put in the car windshield. It is insulated and has 97% reflective surface on both sides. Its not real expensive either.

On the venting, just an idea for moving heat during lights on/off periods. 2 fans with blow open dampers on them. Each one facing the opposite direction and on thermostat switches placed in the flower room. One switch is set for low heat operation so that it comes on when the flower room is cool(dark) to bring in heat, and the other set for high heat operation so that it comes on when the flower room is warm(light) to remove heat.

Or you could have a fan set up to cycle the air between both rooms constantly and work to maintain temp levels in veg area. That is what I do in my lab, but I am on the opposite end now as I am running an AC to maintain 75-80* constantly in the veg area and just cycle it throughout.

BHO, Rose, Solanero thanks for the mojo:D

4u2sm0ke said:

take care and be safe

Thanks 4u, I was just looking at Cadets..they look like quality stuff. What model do you have? What are you did you use for insulation?

The Hemp Goddess said:
Timer controlled fan--and it doesn't need to be a large fan. I am guessing that a smaller muffin fan would work. I would locate it near the top of the vegging box however, so you were getting the warmest air.

That's a genius idea:D ...I have a bunch of PC fans around, good ones too, and I have a few PC fan speed controller's that I can use to dial them in

looks good w/ all that wood. you said you were going to drywall? i'd recommend something that is a bit water resistant and definitely treated w/ anti-fungal/anti-mold agents if possible.

peace,

mr_chow

Hushpuppy - after redoing some math today, I over estimated a bit and came in just over 21 amps as well. I'm not an expert in electricity, but am I going to have to jump up to a 2-pull 30a breaker with the 12/2 wire you recommended?

Is the Tekfoil the same stuff as Reflectix they sell? I was thinking that or Polyshield, which is a reflective insulation.

I think i'm going to combine your fan idea with THG's, and use PC fans on times with fan speed controllers.

mr_chow thanks for the tip, i'm gonna foam seal everything along with the vapor barrier as well

Wow bro this is gonna be hella nice when you get it done. It is nice that it is a blank slate and you can totally build it to suit your needs. Can't wait to see this unfold....subscribed.

Also, before you rock the roof you may want to line it with some thermal tape or similar type material to help reduce heat "signature".

...better to overdue than worry.

peace,

mr_chow

Latest posts

Back