Too much light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganjier

Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
After watching countless YouTube videos, and watching grows I feel like the extra amount of light we give our plants in flower may produce larger flowers, and pack on the grams, but we may be sacrificing valuable terpenes, and losing a lot of quality in our flowers. Am I just stoned?
Say, having my led on 100% during week 3-7 in flower to increase flower production is ultimately costing me the qaulity of cannabis I have been yearning? Dropping the dial to 60-80% may hinder the ultimate gram count, but I am more of a quality over qty type of guy.
Either way I am stoned, but I think this "stoned theory" may hold some ground when it comes to the quality of our finished product.
Now if I was on Rollitup forum with a bunch of kiddos nickel and diming their little brothers and sister's schools I wouldn't care, but as a connoisseur I aim for the best potential of a medicinal product I am cultivating.
Steer me straight. And no homo jokes, lol.

The best lights indoors pale in comparison next to ole Saul outdoors. Some of the best weed I've ever smoked was outdoor grown.
I would agree with that even not* really having to real outdoor experience, but this is an artificial light question really. Unless you think the natural sun has "harsher" light density than a indoor light 8-10" away. But now you are getting me thinking off my topic. LOL.

Last edited:
Some amount of terpenes are evaporated which is why the plants have a smell. That happens mostly on the outer surface of the plant. The inner part of the colas are protected from the UV.
If you cut the energy source you will cut the plants ability to make more resin glands (buds)

I read an article a couple of weeks ago that said the smell of cut grass(a terpene) was a chemical message to other grass plants that they were under attack(stress). I think some amount of stress strengthens the plants defenses. Trichomes are like sunscreen and protect the flowers from UV light(to protect the seeds from damage even if there are no seeds in unpollinated plants). I look at it this way:the buds closer to the center of my tent and buds closer to the lights are denser, bigger and more fragrant than buds in the corner of my tent or lower down the plant. I think that is because the denser buds get more light.

I read an article a couple of weeks ago that said the smell of cut grass(a terpene) was a chemical message to other grass plants that they were under attack(stress). I think some amount of stress strengthens the plants defenses. Trichomes are like sunscreen and protect the flowers from UV light(to protect the seeds from damage even if there are no seeds in unpollinated plants). I look at it this way:the buds closer to the center of my tent and buds closer to the lights are denser, bigger and more fragrant than buds in the corner of my tent or lower down the plant. I think that is because the denser buds get more light.

that is interesting and makes sense too

just a small side story here , we had two ganja gardens growing the same year but in different locations….same genetics

one garden was grown at 4200’ feet and the other garden at 10,000’+ , same plants , clones

we noticed a difference right away on size and trichome production

way more than the plants at 4200’

so that confirmed my thoughts about high UV ….the higher the UV the more trichomes the more protection

i have deliberately damaged my plants to produce auxins and observe the plants reaction…very interesting

Latest posts

Back