Transplanting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growinfo2323

Reaction score
What are the advantages and disadvantages to going from my solo cups right to my 3 gal. Pots or stepping up to 1 gal then 3 gal. Later. Thanks for the advice.

I am not a soil guy, but I do use a soilless medium and start out in the plastic cups and then transplant. I prefer to transplant only once as it is too easy to disturb the roots when transplanting and cause them some root shock. And, IMO, the bigger the pot the more roots and the easier to damage them. I really don't see any advantage to moving to a mid size pot before going to the last pot, but then again I am not a soil guy so I could be missing something. :)

What Hush said, just transplant them to their final containers and let them grow, good luck!

I've seen it suggested on this site that transplanting from container to container helps build the root mass at the bottom of the pot, allowing for it to grow a thicker root mass that takes up more water and nutrients to the plant, thereby allowing for more vigorous growth. Just throwing that out there for someone to clarify/debunk.

I like to let them get just a little rootbound, when you transplant they will give you a big growth spurt, If you transplant properly the plant should show no ill effects, jmo

The reason for only transplanting once is to reduce the shot to the plant. I go from 1/2 gallon to flowering container now.

all good info in here....I like to go

solo cup
1 gallon
then 3 or 5 gallon..My reasoning is space....I can fit more 1 gallon pots in the veg area that 3-5..yes?...I flower in all sorts containers....The idea is to less stress the plant as possable...another note is I dont like to transplant into anything bigger than a 1 gallon pot if sex is not known...just how I roll:lama:

take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

Agreed 4u, why transplant an unkown sexed plant into a flowering container when it could be male. More head ache, and less work on our part. All good info!

dman1234 said:
I like to let them get just a little rootbound, when you transplant they will give you a big growth spurt, If you transplant properly the plant should show no ill effects, jmo

:yeahthat:

I transplant from cup to gallon to 7-10 gallon. There is never any problem with transplanting, I've even gone from 10 gallon to 20-30 gallon more than a few times just before or even after flip, I find the gals love the fresh soil...ime

Latest posts

Back