Trichs/harvesting question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtVandolay

Band!
Reaction score
This is only my 2nd grow. I have ice, ww and blueberry 7 weeks and 3 days into flowering. More precisely, 7 weeks and 3 days into 12/12 light cycle. All 3 plants showed sex in just a few days after switching to 12/12.

I'm having a hard time telling clear from cloudy trichs but my ice plant definitely looks like trichs are about 10% amber. Time to cut?

I1 (640 x 480).jpg I2 (480 x 640).jpg

you need to get a good magnifying glass so you can see them Trichs ;):D
but if some are amber in my experience the rest should be mostly cloudy:hubba:

It helps to make sure you get in some good sunlight,,or Daylight CFL to scope your triches. The light on my hand held scope can cause the triches to have an Amber tint,,so I like using sunlight or a Daylight CFL.:hubba:

I used a 24mm telescope eyepiece (upside down) yesterday. It surprised me that the ice was ready, I wasn't expecting anything for another week or so. I have the best luck looking at the trichs under direct sunlight.

ArtVandolay said:
I'm having a hard time telling clear from cloudy trichs but my ice plant definitely looks like trichs are about 10% amber. Time to cut?
Hey Art, thc is naturally clear. By this, I mean really clear. No color at all to it when it's freshly made. You can see right through it.

At near-life-end for MJ plants, the thc containing resins of the plant start degrading. The first sign of this degradation is when the resins turn cloudy. Instead of a perfectly clear tiny drop of wonder, you won't be able to see through it. It looks hazed to opaque like a frosted window. Still white colored, but hazed or cloudy.

Then, when it degrades some more, it starts turning yellowish. You'll first see a very slight discoloration that almost isn't there. Then, as the days go by, you'll see them turn darker and darker "Amber" or golden colored.

When the resins are perfectly clear, the thc is at it's most psychoactive.

When it's turned very, very dark brown, it won't get you high at all. It's dead.

Between those two points, it goes from Clear to hazed, to real cloudy to totally opaque to totally opaque with a slightly yellow tint to more of a darker yellow tint to gold to really dark gold to slightly brown to real brown.

I prefer my weed at harvest to be part clear, about half cloudy and about half light gold.

Keep in mind that this is an AVERAGE OVER THE ENTIRE PLANT. You might have one area that's all gold and another that is all clear. For the most consistent high, take one branch at a time, starting with the one that is perfect for your preferences. Then, as the next few days pass, harvest each branch as it reaches that same point of coloration.

What did it feel like cutting her?

I always feed a tint of sadness after looking after them for so long.

I still have the ww and bb :D but I know what you mean. This is my first non-bagseed grow and I feel like a kid at Christmas.

ArtVandolay said:
I still have the ww and bb :D but I know what you mean. This is my first non-bagseed grow and I feel like a kid at Christmas.

Aint it great..No more street crapola.:hubba:

that street crap has the potential to turn from dirt to gold. :hubba:
i grew many different bagseed and always seem sativa dominant. but i had some very sweet plants.:rolleyes: some better then a few of nirvanas strains.
but it is nice to know what your growing for sure. wait till you start crossing strains it gets even better when you grow something you made. and it turns out killer :D
hope you dont mind me showing some pics of a killer Mexi brick bagseed plant. i just want to show what crappy brown pressed bud can become when grown proper. :cool: now this came from some real dirt most of the seeds were crush and most were not ready but i got 5 nice seeds from the bag 4 poped only 2 were fems here thay are
pic#-1 3/4 oz. from a single cola in a tiny container with just hydroton watered regularly.
pic#-2,3,4,5 in a waterfarm 10oz. cured

HPIM0572.JPG

HPIM0579.JPG

HPIM0585.JPG

HPIM0586.JPG

HPIM0591.JPG

Pothead420 said:
that street crap has the potential to turn from dirt to gold. :hubba:
i grew many different bagseed and always seem sativa dominant. but i had some very sweet plants.:rolleyes: some better then a few of nirvanas strains.
but it is nice to know what your growing for sure. wait till you start crossing strains it gets even better when you grow something you made. and it turns out killer :D
hope you dont mind me showing some pics of a killer Mexi brick bagseed plant. i just want to show what crappy brown pressed bud can become when grown proper. :cool: now this came from some real dirt most of the seeds were crush and most were not ready but i got 5 nice seeds from the bag 4 poped only 2 were fems here thay are
pic#-1 3/4 oz. from a single cola in a tiny container with just hydroton watered regularly.
pic#-2,3,4,5 in a waterfarm 10oz. cured

Yes I know,,I am growing my 5th and 6th clone from some very good Bagweed. Nice Sativa Strain. But now its mine and Harvested correctly.:hubba:

Pretty modest White Widow harvest. I'm afraid to own a scale - does anyone have a guess on the weight? I haven't grown enough to know how much better I should have done.

Any hints what I can do to make the buds bigger and more filled in?

WW1 (640 x 480).jpg WW2 (640 x 480).jpg

half oz?

make it better? hmm.... ok i know, 1000w of hps light is a good start, lol.

dude let me know how that ice smokes, im growing it right now and ive got 4 different female phenos that im dealing with, weird, one very sativa, one 50/50 and two bright neon green short little ice plants that look like miniature sativas, so i guess 3 phenos really but yeah, keep us posted.

ArtVandolay said:
Pretty modest White Widow harvest. I'm afraid to own a scale - does anyone have a guess on the weight? I haven't grown enough to know how much better I should have done.

Any hints what I can do to make the buds bigger and more filled in?

View attachment 108071 View attachment 108072

What kinda lights are you using and how many Lumens?

10 zones off the plant watching Obama on tv? looks like dry would be a heck of lot less.

ive had plants that looked like that and didnt get ten zones. But, you may be right, who am i to judge from a picture.

I have a dual 150 watt HPS (30,000 lumens total) in 28" x 16" (3 sq ft) space.

ooh, yeah, your gonna need more light man, or else i would say that youve done very well with that amount of lighting, the bigger hps lights really penetrate that canopy to get down in those leaves and get the weight on, with that amount of light i dont think you should be growing spears, rather lst'ing your plants to make most efficient use of your lighting.

Latest posts

Back