Trimming fan leafs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maryjanenewbie

Reaction score
Is it OK to trim some of the fan leafs that block light from bud sites? Any suggestions? Are there any threads that address pruning?

I have taken a light branch and put it between branches to spread them out and let light in...easy.....no damage to plant. some people bend and tie them...

slow down i would not trim fanleaves til harvest cuz they are still needed to continue photosynthesis which is where plants get energy to grow fatter and more dense buds.if they are yellow then i think that is a different story

No, do not trim fan leaves. The fan leaves the the little solar factories that turn light into thc and other good things.

As everyone else has stated, trimming leaves isn't a good idea if you want to have max yield. I prefer tying them back to allow more light to lower bud sites and branches. Last year on my outdoor crop I trimmed a lot of fan leaves off of 2 plants and left the other 4 with all their leaves(except for really yellow leaves and dying leaves). I just tied them back. The difference in yield between the trimmed and untrimmed plants was huge. However if there is a really big leaf covering a lot of other leaves and it can't be tied out of the way, I would remove it. Just my opinion on the subject.

I got yelled at for triming fan leaves before. I guess its a big nono unless they are gonners anyway.

Don't trim...oh, let me say that again, no soigne, no potare, no trim...(french, italian and ENGLISH!!)

I only say it because I 've messed up bad in the past by trimming

THANK YOU!!! I have some GIANT fan leafs (some blades are 2" wide) but I have heard not to trim, so I haven't trimed anything, not even yellow bottom leafs. I'll just continue to move the tops up over the leafs.

holly cow...you got a jungle growing there maryjane....it looks to me like your biggest problem is gong to be smoking all the pot you are going to have...nice job

maryjanenewbie said:
THANK YOU!!! I have some GIANT fan leafs (some blades are 2" wide) but I have heard not to trim, so I haven't trimmed anything, not even yellow bottom leafs. I'll just continue to move the tops up over the leafs.
The way to trim leaves is to only remove leaves that are at LEAST 50% dead. At that point, the leaf is costing the plant more than it can produce *for* the plant and should be removed.

That means dead leaves only. If they are yellow, leave them on. They still help with Photosynthesis. Only when they are more then HALF dead, remove them.

Never take healthy leaves off of a plant so that light can reach lower. It's like cutting off your ears so your fingers will be healthy. Doesn't work that way in the plant world either.

Good luck to you! Nice garden you have there!

Yeah those plants look very healthy...I wld not mess with them..and I wld not trim off any fan leaves for sure...I do like stoney said...if the leaves are dead and dried up they come off...if not leave them alone...nice plants you got there...

Latest posts

Back