Trouble in Paradise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcbud

Reaction score
I hate posting in this section. But I know with all you great growers, I will get some good ideas on how to handle this.

I found this yesterday going into the garden in the evening. It had been 24 hours since I had been in there and this is new, just happened.

The leaf tips on half the plants are black, with this one in the pic being the only one that I found that the black was lower on the leaf. The tips are also dry and curling. Not every leaf, but many. As you can see in the pic, the side leaf has damage too. (I posted two more pics in my journal too).

I am feeding FF Grow Big twice weekly. Over Night temps in the last couple nights have been lower than usual hitting 47f last night and cool as that the night before too. I had been planning on starting Old Age Bloom nutes this weekend.

The AK47, Albert Walker, the Mystery LST, Old Time Moonshine and the small new plants have not been affected.

It is showing up on the NL#5, Purple Diesel, Urkel (shown the the pic) and the Pre 2k Blueberry. All more Indica, I think, wider leaf than the rest of the girls.

Help me out if you can, has anyone seen damage like this before. I think it goes beyond nute burn.

Thanks guys, heading out now, hopefully you guys can give me some ideas and or solutions.

damage 2.jpg

I hate to say I don't know what is happening there but I'm not sure I have seen that before. I am thinking it may be the cold temps are affecting them. 47f is quite cold for these girls. I had some issues similar to that back last fall because of going from cold to warm then back to cold again, but my symptoms didn't look the same. I would say that you need to devise a way to maintain a low temp barrier of 60f. That is what I had to do. I had 2 temps switches for controling the temps in my cabinets. I had one that would turn my heater on at 60f and off at 70f and one that would turn my exaust fan on at 80f. it was a bit of a pain to set up and get right but it saved my grow :)

Leaf tips starting to burn/brown up and die sounds to me like your at the top of where you want to be feeding and starting to "nute burn" your plants. Back down the nutes a little and see if the new growth straightens up

Looks like a cold temp malfunction to me. Causing a deficiency in K and/or P.

I don't think cold temps because when I saw cold temp problems od the new growth was the first to show distress.

Looks like a lil too much of the good stuff. TC. A lil nitrogen nute burn. Backing off will help, like oZZman said.

I use FF products but stopped using it in the grow seeing they get enough goodies from the soil. And transplant if they look def., but seeing you're OD's a different story. But yeah, that FF grow big can be strong for the girls, ime.

:peace:

I have no idea but i am sending green healing mojo to the girls.

Ozzy is right about the cold temps affecting the new growth first. I forgot about that. That doesn't look like nute burn though if you look at the back of the one leaf where it has the darkened necrotic patches. It almost looks like leaf damage from chem spill or physical contact, and the necrosis looks kind of random rather than consistent on the tips of the leaves. I hate to say this but I am thinking it could be some kind of pathogen

:eek: And the fact of the matter is this plant is exactly that...my grow room in the winter can reach the high 40's at lights out when I'm not running my heater and never have seen the plants really take "shock" from the temp drop. Nothing that manifested at least...

First I want to thank you all for your feedback.

The area's effected are not spreading. The husband says it may be the spray he put on them, but I am wondering why it effected some and not the others and it took two days to show. Hushpuppy hit it on the head with chemical spill is a big possibility. Found out he mixed two types of herbicide together. So this may be the answer. I just wonder why just half of the plants are showing this damage.

I don't think it is temperature drop guys as MJ stops growing at 46f and I have found the growing tops will just lighten up some when this happens. And it did on all of them.

It could possibly be the nuts are a little strong. We do mix by the 5 gallon bucket and the ones showing the problem would have been in two separate buckets from the other plants. I think we are mixing five buckets a feeding now.

They are scheduled to be getting their first flowering nutes as soon as I go buy them and I think that will be today. That should take care of the possibility of Potassium or Phosphorous deficiency.

The problem has not escalated, the burned areas have curled and dried.

So very nice to have all of your input. Sometimes just talking to you guys helps. You all make MP a great friendly site for Growers. Thank you all.

If he sprayed and the sunlight hit the leaves before the water in the spray evaporated that would explain it. The sunlight caused the water droplets to boil off and in the areas the water droplets were the plant matter was basically cooked. This now dead plant material would take a day or 2, to died off and start to decompose.

Ozzy, he sprayed in the evening, the sun was down for sure. He also pointed out to me how the drops would be drips on the ends of the leaves. Thanks again.

It does not seem to be spreading, so......Im gonna chalk it up to chemical burn. Or P n K deficiency. I just have never seen anytime where the plant matter just turned black like that, no brown, no gold, total black.

I am glad that we can be a help to each other. I too am thankful for this "forum family" of growers. My bro is real thankfull as I have learned sooo much here that he has been able to apply to his grow as well. :)

Latest posts

Back