turning male in veg?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lavey

Reaction score
ya so my questions is can your plants start turning male during veg stage? i have it under fluorescents on 18 hours of lights on. there appears to be little groups of balls growing on pretty much every node. i have 5 of the same strain in veg stage and only one of the plants have this on it. i have pics but my camera cant focus to get a good pic.

male2.jpg

Sorry mate that photo is far too unclear for me to see.:eek:

So you got 80% females? Sounds good to me considering my last grow.

If it's got balls, it's a guy. No reason to over think it.

Albrecht said:
If it's got balls, it's a guy. No reason to over think it.
What if the plant is a dike? It can't help but have imaginary balls.

so your saying its possible for the plant to start turning male while still in the veg stage?? i guess thats my main question.

Absolutely... all marijuanna will pre-flower when it becomes sexually mature, regardless of the light hours.

Lavey said:
so your saying its possible for the plant to start turning male while still in the veg stage?? i guess thats my main question.

The plant doesn't actually "start turning male". It is showing sex. Many plants will indicate sex while still in veg. I took a male out of my vegging room last week and it was on 24/7 light.

Hick said:
Absolutely... all marijuanna will pre-flower when it becomes sexually mature, regardless of the light hours.

ok thanks! that answers my question.

Can't tell much from this photo mate, can you take a better one maybe? :)
I'd say yes, on 18/6. it should take a while obviously, but as long as the plant is getting some dark time, well, let's just say it can get over excited and *things* can happen (just like in real life) ;)

Driphuse said:
Can't tell much from this photo mate, can you take a better one maybe? :)
I'd say yes, on 18/6. it should take a while obviously, but as long as the plant is getting some dark time, well, let's just say it can get over excited and *things* can happen (just like in real life) ;)

ha ya, thats kinda what i was thinking about the dark hours and the plant getting ahead of itself. so hopefully my others will be females cuz they're not showing male sex, but i guess i wont know untill flowering..

if you veg them long enough then they will show before flowering

slowmo77 said:
if you veg them long enough then they will show before flowering

hmm.. im in the third week of veg and only one is showing sex. so how long is long enough? im planning on cloning the females and keeping the mothers in veg their whole lives.

depends on the strain. some show in six weeks some take longer if your planning on taking clones then take some from each now and flower the clones. is easier than waiting on your mother plant. jmo

slowmo77 said:
depends on the strain. some show in six weeks some take longer if your planning on taking clones then take some from each now and flower the clones. is easier than waiting on your mother plant. jmo

ok good idea. i think i will start to take some clones now and do what you suggested.

Lavey said:
hmm.. im in the third week of veg and only one is showing sex. so how long is long enough? im planning on cloning the females and keeping the mothers in veg their whole lives.

I think that 3 weeks is too early to show sex. From the picture, it doesn't look like you have alternating nodes yet. I would make sure that this isn't just new growth before I cut it down and discarded it.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I think that 3 weeks is too early to show sex. From the picture, it doesn't look like you have alternating nodes yet. I would make sure that this isn't just new growth before I cut it down and discarded it.

it started to grow bigger and more balls, like clusters in just a couple days. so im positive now its male.

Lavey said:
it started to grow bigger and more balls, like clusters in just a couple days. so im positive now its male.

This is a plant that is only 3 weeks old? Do you have alternating nodes?

ive had lots of plants around three weeks withot alt. nodes show me there sex...though never females just males.

ya 3 weeks old seedling. it was like over night the balls appeared and spread in groups.

Latest posts

Back