Two plants in one bucket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IDontSmoke

Reaction score
I got some bagseed, and I'd like to be efficient - Do you think it would be possible to grow two plants in each of my five gallon pots until I grow them to the point where I can sex them? If I lucked out and got four females, obviously I'd cut two down, but if I ended up with two in one would transplanting even be possible or would the roots choke each other out?

Thanks for the help!

If you use the 5 gallon buckets, it would probably work. However, I would recommend against it. It's harder to control. Sometimes different plants require slightly different fertilizer ratios.

I did it my first grow and it was a nightmare. I had two plants die from overfertilizing, but the other plants that were in the same bucket did very well. Luckily the ones that lived were female.

If you choose to do it anyway, you will not be able to transplant them after they get over 6" tall. The roots will be all tangled up.

Thanks! Fortunately however, I think the seeds are all the same variety - at east that's what the guy who gave them to me indicated. Any advice on soil testing? I know generally slightly lower pH values increase the liekihood of female plants, but where can I find a decent (cheapish) soil test kit?

Thanks again!

IDontSmoke said:
I think the seeds are all the same variety - at least that's what the guy who gave them to me indicated.!

Mine were too. I got mine from the breeder and they were the same strain from the same mother/father. It is just that even within the same strain there are differences as well.

As for testing the soil, I got the exact model that Firepower just mentioned, but I got it at the local hardware store. While it's not as good as a digital one, iIt works fine. Just make sure the probes are cleaned.

I don't grow in soil anymore. I decided hydro was better for me.

Happy Growing!

If you want to grow 2 to a pot, in soil i'd recommend a totally organic fert program. Try something that doesn't burn your plants. Earth Juice have a good line. Remember that you need a gallon for every foot of growth so for a 5 gallon I wouldn't exceed 2 2 1/2 ft tall plants. Good luck!

Yeah I used very little fertilizer during my first grow and it worked well. I don't plan on maturing two plants per bucket - rather I'd like to have two females.

Latest posts

Back