under-watering?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuggy4105

The grass is greener...
Reaction score
hi ppl,
I think i may be under-watering one of my gals, does anyone have any signs that would be apparent visually, showing that under-watering is occuring?
any feedback greatly appreciated, cheers man:confused: .
:stoned: :48: :stoned:

Well, typically leaves that droop and appear to have a "dry" look are signs of under watering. Leaves that begin their tip down where they met the branch, will also be a sign.

Over watered can look very similar but the leaves will not droop down heavy. The leaf stem will be rather bowed looking (instead of straight out, or kinked down from under watering) and the leaf itself will look heavy.

Both are one of those things you have to experience yourself to truely understand how the leaf looks dry or heavy.

Just curious, why do you say its under watered? What are you seeing? is she droopy every time you water? how often do you water?

Cheers for the feedback man.
I water every 3-4 days, i like to let the soil dry out quite a bit.
They`re seedlings, only 3 weeks today, i noticed on the "cosmic nights" one was browning at the tips of the leaves.
when i saw this i thought it was lack of nutes as this plant had very quick growth,i had to transplant into a larger pot it was growing so fast.All the others are a good week behind, although none of those have any adverse signs whatsoever,they look good in fact. So i then began giving nutes "baby-bio" NPK 10.9-1.4-1.9, half the recomended dose an the bottle.
After a few days i thought it was "spreading and not clearing up",i then stopped nutes and gave streight water.
my soil mix is sterile soil, half cup of worm castings/1gallon soil, pinch of bone meal/1gall, lime 1 tbs/1gall and that`s it. And all the other "cosmic nights and widow skunk" ladies are looking great:cool: .
I`ll keep it on only water for now,oh yeah BTW, this morning i noticed that the leaf on the second set of 5-pointers, was curling up with no discolouration?
any ideas dudes:confused: been stuck on this for ages, here`s a couple of pics and let me know what you think.... pics 4-5 are "cosmic nights" which i suspect are as the result of under-watering???

praktrica.jpg

praktrica 027.jpg

praktrica 029.jpg

praktrica 041.jpg

praktrica 043.jpg

I dont get browning edges from under watering, if I did every solo cup plant I ever flowered would have been brown, bottom to top. I've seen it from to much P or from under feeding all nutrients.

could definately be the under-feeding, the growth was extremely fast with this one and i had to transplant early,i had given them no nutes. when i first noticed this i automatically thought it was lack of nutes, in fact i posted on the forum what would the signs be but gotlittle feedback.
Start back on half nutes tomorrow with NPK 25-15-15, and see how they fair.:ccc:
Although i did add a pinch of bone meal NPK 4-20-0.:confused: :ccc:

i dont think you should start nutes so early , i didnt with mine till dead on a month but you have bone meal in there anyway so should be fine , most soilhas enough nutes for 6-8weeks.

the color in leaves ive had 1 problem with just 1 leaf that got too much light directly on it to caused it to go brown.

And the size of the plant, im going with the pot size , the smaller to start the better it will be , soon as it has a fair good amount of roots id swap it into the bigger pot say (1month) from seed into growing , then it can establish the room in the pot quicker & shouldnt slow down any process of it being stressed , hope this helps mate , im learning as best as i can :)

umm since this was about watering lol id have to say that leaving it to dry on the top is okay but i would water it & then put some water in the dish underneath it that way it will absorb what it needs to through the roots

Thats not a good idea bro could cause problems your never suppost to leave standing water underneath the pot!!

hmm not what i see in other plants , helps the root get water when it wants it , and considering i use MG it spits out the water that it dont need into the bottom anyway :)

It is okay to leave water in the saucers under the plants, wick system. Just make sure you let the saucers dry out in between waterings. I have done it for years with no problems. You could always set up a wick system to water from the bottom if you wanted. I would let the plant use up the nutes in the soil before adding more. I usually don't add nute in soil for at least 6 weeks.

but this was "srerilized soil", i added the nutes myself.:confused:

try it without them for a while , should be fine how you have it for now just dont add anymore for a while :)

Latest posts

Back