ventilation questin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba_Smokes

Stop Snitchin
Reaction score
so im new here in the process of geting my card and im been researching and planing out my set up and im wondering about ventilation it gets 110 degrees in the summer time and and in the low teens in the winter do i need to worry about it geting to hot what about to cold do i vent the light to the out side how do i keep it from getting to cold in the winter cuz of the vent what about geting to hot in the summer

I am faced with the same problem . Today it is 20 degrees F so I am pulling air from the heated part of the apartment and running a thermostat ed heater in the grow area. For me heat is way better to control that cold weather .

Yes you are going to want to vent your light either outside, to another room, or your attic... I do HVAC for a living and one of the first things we learn is this, when talking about air there is no such thing as cold, there is just lack of heat, this is how an air conditioner works, it doesnt cool the air instead it removes the heat... So the best was to keep your growing room cool is to remove heat from it.....

In the winter its really easy, a small space heater with a built in thermostat works well.... Heat is very easy to make.. You can also get a speed control for your fan on your light, in the winter you can slow the fan to where the light warms your grow room. There are also marijuana strains the like cool weather.... Most Indicas when grown in cold weather will turn purple...

pulling hot air from the house that sounds like a good idea i got another questin my orignal plan was to grow in my closet its 5'4 L x 5'1 width but my main concern is its only 4'11 high i just dont think that could be tall enough do you think im gonna have to scrap that idea and come up with a new plan

No 5 foot tall is plenty, just remember to stay with short strains, play around with LST and super cropping your plants to keep them low but still get a good yield... My grow tent is only 5 feet tall...

If you have a low space you simply put your plant into flower earlier to keep it short :)

Some people grow inside a computer case ;)

:peace:

To flower very early it would be a good idea to have a small space for a mother plant so you can take clones, the clones will be a mature plant as soon as they root and you can flower them anytime....

I prefer nice fat colas and with my medical marijuana card Im limited to 6 flowering plants and 12 vegging plants, because of this I do super cropping, LST, SCROG, anything to get my yield per plant up

I could only wish for "cold" problems. I am in the sub-tropics and heat is a mother. I'm in 4.5'wx8'dx8'h w/2 600w lights. I exhaust thru my lite hoods, channel all the AC from the house that I can without having problems in the rest of the house, intake thru the cooled house--and I will still go over 80 if I don't watch it, even on cool days. So i got an 8000btu personal space AC. It ran about $225 from an online vendor. It's not great, but it seems to keep me about 77-80 on hot days. It's all about balance and stoner-engineering--you will find some very clever folks on this site with some very clever solutions to your problems. Listen to them and not newbies like me. I'm still searching for the perfect balance and still in the stoner-engineering phase, but these guys here have not failed me yet. Good luck.

well thanks for all the usefull info if i can veg it longer and then force into flower while its bigger im i looking at a way higher yeald if i am i might just have to construct a grow room in spare room or maby the celler see i can only have 15 plants to stay legal so i figure 1 mother plant and 7 clones and the 7 flower and keep the rotation so i want to have higher yealds cuz ill only be able to harvest 7 plants

Ok, is 65 to 75 like the "perfect" range u strive for? My question is: if we're trying to duplicate outdoor grow conditions, summertime growing in many parts of the country(USA) are way above the 65-75 range. I'm having a hard time keeping my temps. under 90f with (2) 250MH and (6 )26w cfl. But they're one month old and thriving in these conditions. I have a vent and a fan blowing on them is all. I've grown the past 2 yrs outdoors with great results but this indoor grow seems to be a lil tricky or are we over complicating to get perfection? These plants look great with this high temps-Thanks in advance

Hi Johnny, What size is your exhaust fan? It probably should be bigger.
Remember the Sacred Herb grows really well in HOT DRY climates-so that is the world we are duplicating inside-Warm to Hot, Med to low humidity, Sunny with a nice breeze! Like a beach in Mexico, dude. By the way all this stuff
about "Mexican dirt weed" is crap. Where I lived they knew what dey was doen, mon. The intake and exhaust should be the same size-move out the stale air and bring in the new...:)

Hippy, rite now, all i have is a screen window about 12 x12 with a circulating air fan on the 6 plants. And a few bottles of water betwwn the plants. I think if i cut another hole about the same size and put a fan drawing out the air might be what ur saying and probly a good thing. Rite now, it does feel like a beach in there -i'm in Playa del carmen-haha i wish ---i was just curious about why i keep reading about keeping temps. in the 65-75 range?? I will put an exhaust in though to keep air fresh. Like i said in previous post though, they seem to be doing really well in the 86-92 range and cooling off at there 6 hr. dark period. Its fun, lotta reading and great people/info here-Thanks

I'm in the tropics too, though not sub-tropics. It's against the house rules to drill a 4 inch hole in the wall to get a/c air to cool the HPS :D. I built a Hemp Goddess DIY cool tube for 2 150 watt HPS hooked up to a 4 inch inline duct fan. I can only draw air from the outside through a small window in my side garage door (I vent the hot air through the same window as well). Here are the facts of life given my circumstances:

:D it's simply too hot to flower during the summer months;
:D with good planning (mother plants and clones), you can get 2 crops in during the 5-6 months of winter/cool weather - plenty for my personal use;
:D I flower during the 12 coolest hours of the day (9pm - 9am);
:D I veg with CFLs during the 18 coolest hours of the day (6pm - noon);
:D I'm able to cool CFLs during the summer to keep a few mother plants in veg;
:D during my first grow last summer (when I figured all this stuff out) I routinely had temps in the low 90s - no hermies and I don't think anyone would complain about smoking what I grew.

Johnnyrotten123 said:
Ok, is 65 to 75 like the "perfect" range u strive for? My question is: if we're trying to duplicate outdoor grow conditions...

You are operating under a misconception. We are not trying to duplicate outdoor conditions. Since we are controlling the environment, we are striving to provide the absolute optimum conditions.

Johnnyrotten123 said:
Ok, is 65 to 75 like the "perfect" range u strive for? My question is: if we're trying to duplicate outdoor grow conditions, summertime growing in many parts of the country(USA) are way above the 65-75 range. I'm having a hard time keeping my temps. under 90f with (2) 250MH and (6 )26w cfl. But they're one month old and thriving in these conditions. I have a vent and a fan blowing on them is all. I've grown the past 2 yrs outdoors with great results but this indoor grow seems to be a lil tricky or are we over complicating to get perfection? These plants look great with this high temps-Thanks in advance

Jonny, you have to remember that there are TONS of co2 in the air outside which allows the plants to grow at such extreme temps.

solarz

TY all. Art especially. Changing times for when light cycle is on will definitely cool things down. I shudve thought of that for sure. Then agin, its tempting to let them run their course at this 86-low 90s for the rest of the veg. time which will be only a few more weeks. They're really healthy which prompted my question . I can and will put in an exhaust same as screen window size and see if that brings temps. dwn. Finish the veg. then flower under same hours as Art does his- thanks agin

MindzEye said:
To flower very early it would be a good idea to have a small space for a mother plant so you can take clones, the clones will be a mature plant as soon as they root and you can flower them anytime....

I prefer nice fat colas and with my medical marijuana card Im limited to 6 flowering plants and 12 vegging plants, because of this I do super cropping, LST, SCROG, anything to get my yield per plant up

Crazy question, but im really blazed right now and im just curiously wondering how much yeild does that put out per flowering session after all that training and vegging?
for some reason i just had to as this question man:bong:

solarz said:
Jonny, you have to remember that there are TONS of co2 in the air outside which allows the plants to grow at such extreme temps.

solarz
My friend i have some fat colas developing on 4 plants, and the temps stay in the 90 when the hps is blasting at about 8 inches above the even cannopy, with a fan blowing accross the tops. with a 4 inch blowing up from the floor up into the cannopy, 8 inch exhaust, 6 inch intake.
they love it. i like to think it has to do more with air movement:ignore:

Latest posts

Back