very mad/upset, credit card question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeUpJohnny

Reaction score
to make a long story short:

I opened a credit card account with providian in 2003 and got a fixed APR percentage of 10...

providian sold to wamu

wamu just sold to chase

chase sent me a letter in the mail telling me my apr was no longer fixed, and they would be raising my apr to 12.24%

I called them very upset and they told me I should be lucky, a lot of people have been raised in the 20's...

how is this legal?

I never agreed to any change in my fixed apr...

this sucks...

:-(

Johnny

Wow that sux.

Never been in a dilemma like that so nothing to offer, sorry. :p

I opened an account in 1998 and they pulled the same garbage on me. I no longer have an account with them. I do not know how stuff like this is legal either.

same thing just happened to me johnny. still , your 12 is pretty descent, but that aint the point.

i thought this bail out money was to halt these things? what the???...bb...

I had a Chase 'Titanium" card.... 7% fixed for life, unless you screw up your payments of something like that where they can bump it up on ya. I had that card for several years and would roll other higher interest debts to that card and pay them off. A couple years back I get this little notice in the mail, you know the kind, the kind that you might just throw in garbage because it did not look important....

I happened to read that little postcard type of note.... It Was Chase Bank's notice saying they were discontinuing the titanium program and turning them all into adjustable rates and they rate would increase to 14% or something stupid like that..... Basically it said, if you do not want your account to roll into this program, you had to send them a letter saying not to change your account..... If you did not reply you would get a suprise on your next billing.....

I Wrote them a big ole letter and said I in NO WAY ACCEPT THE NEW TERMS IN MY 'LIFETIME' ACCOUNT!!!!!..... I still have a 7% card hehehe...

LESSON!!!! READ YOUR MAIL, NO MATTER HOW INSIGNIFICANT IT LOOKS!

Every time my card gets sold, I call them and say that i am going to close the account. A supervisor gets on and lowers the rate back down. If you say you have been a cardholder for 9 years they will defiintely deal with you. give it a try.

I did, and they told me it could be worse and there was "absolutely nothing they could do"

i have a 12.99% visa with a substantial limit that is for EMERGENCIES only...
Subscribe to the Pay-go method. If you want somthing save up for it...

We are living in a new world. The money is shrinking and the credit crooks are out to cover their losses. It ain't over yet - in fact, it's just beginning.

If you use your cards and don't expect to pay the balance in full each billing cycle, you may never crawl out of 'the hole'. Saying 'no' to the things you 'think' you need will eliminate having to pay them back.

Self sustainability, a simple cash system, and simple, basic living, cutting out the luxuries will be the way of the future for those who somehow survive this mess.

Coming next will be generations of taxes to cover the losses of 'big brother'. That will be a 'debt' we won't be able to 'pay our way out of'. It is going to be very disappointing to see how 'ingenious' they get to extort my hard earned money away from me. It will be going to the credit and financial crooks anyway.

And then I think about my little MJ grow........ I have to hide it and live in paralyzing fear of 'something' exposing my little secret. Just because I smoke a little to help me sleep at night, and relieve some chronic pain issues. I'm not victimizing anyone, or stealing their money.

Something is very wrong here.

PayPal. Can't say enough good things about them.

I have a Paypal "credit card", tho it is not really a credit card. It just transfers monies from your regular bank to your Paypal account as you use your Paypal card/account. No interest of course, as you are actually paying for what u buy, as we all need to do. The cool thing with paypal is online buying and thier auto card generator. Never had an issue.

Usually in the terms and agreements for almost all credit cards it will say that your APR can be raised any time they feel like it. They used to not do this but now with the economic times they are raising peoples APR's for no reason w/o telling them. Today I even read that cc companies are starting to lower ther customers credit limits below what is on the card. Causing people to default on their card without even knowing. There aren't any laws to prevent this taking affect until 2010.

I was going through my old mail since I've been back and today I found a letter from Chase telling me I needed to respond by Feb 20th to opt out of the new APR (therefore my account would be closed) but I was in Africa, so I never knew or had a chance, I called them and they said tough...

Chase=EVIL, I searched them and they even aided the Nazis.... grrrrr

I keep a savings tied to my checking so if i need to use it like a credit card i make sure i can replenish the savings acc and that its feasible. works for me but i have a credit limit max of what i put in which sucks when its down.

Latest posts

Back