Wanna make sure its herm?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megan23247

Sexy Female Grower
Reaction score
Before I throw it out. It WAS the strongest plant I had but pretty sure its a herm now. It happened so fast. :( I checked for light leaks and there were none. I'm guessing bad genes maybe, although these are Northern Lights seems like it should have good genes by now. :confused:

I'm well aware of the very debatable "reasons" of why plants hermie BUT those reasons arent good enough for me! lol. Why did this happen do yall think? Had one plant herm on my last grow but after reading more on the subject it seems it was to be expected considering it was bagseed. :rolleyes: But like I said, this plant came from what I am assuming is a good line of genes and had NO RIGHT to herm. lol

Not really looking for any concrete answers, although I would love some, but I am kinda curious as to why it happens even when the plant seems to be under optimal conditions.

Thanks for the help. :D

This may be a stupid question BUT does this mean that the clone is probably going to be hermie? Which if it did turn hermie cause of stress how could it "pass" the stress on to its clone?

herm 004.jpg

herm 014.jpg

wow. sorry to hear this megan. i would also like to know , if you take a clone when your sure of sex, and this clone is in veg, then the donor herms for whatever reason, what are the chances of the clones NOT herming? good question megan...

ok don't quote me on this but heres what i've taken from everything i've read on it.. any plant can hermie its a matter of how much stress the plant can indure before it makes the change. the clones from the hermie will be just a easy to turn as the donor. im sure from time to time that gene sticks its head out no matter what strain its in. if im wrong please tell me because this is based on what i've read and how i understood it.

WAIT!!!! take better pics if ya could megan this site needs better hermie pics like a closeup. i cant find any decent closeups of a hermie plant, thanks.

Sounds .."sound" to me slomo.
The clone is an "exact" genetic replica of the donor. Though if not exopsed to the same form/amount of stress, that caused te donor to hermie, it may not.
BUT why risk it?.. You know it has that tendancy. Scrap it aand use cutts from a different donor..IMO

yeah i read all them i cant zoom in on the balls though thats why i cant tell the difference between them still and luckily havent had one yet. i zoomed in on megans and still cant see em i got bad eye site but idk, megan could you use that nice camera i read you have to take a nice focused closeup for me. i got some bagseeds that arnt known genetics so not sure how stable and just want to be able to identify hermie first signs.much thanks, toke

Another question...

Is it true that if you have your plants on a light cycle of 18/6 that during the 6 of dark it has to be compleatly dark as dark as when she is in 12/12? If so then I know now why I have a herm. BUT it doesnt make sense to me if this is true cause some people keep their plants on 24 hours of light and never go 18/6 cant imagine doing that if you need total darkness during the 6 but I could be wrong.

And yes toke ill take some pictures tonight for you and get them posted no prob. Would of used it earlier but boyfriend isnt home yet and I have no patience and needed answers asap. lol

sorry megan cant answer your quistion but what you said makes sense to me i always use 24 hour lighting for veg, and some times had to turn off some of my earlier not as stealth setup for family visits and havent had em herm on me knock on wood.

& thanks for taking some pic, cant say i ever have been excited to see pics of balls untill now haha.

The Hemp Goddess said:
ROTFLMFAO--Hick, I just love that picture. There it is--that little bit of manhood sticking straight out from the stock--somehow looking very proud of itself...

and what wrong with beeing proud?:p

megan...you can have light laks in veg and no harm will come..as long as the light cycle is consistant...no interuptions...well few..:) ...as far as your hermie..were they all same strain? did you have light diruptions while in veg?...

I feel for you Megan..I'm growing N Lights #5 and had a similar problem with one of my plants. Complete Unfair **. I don't think I had light leaks at all. I've since put the plant outside (didn't have the heart to kill it) and am keeping a close eye on it. Good luck & I hope my 2 remaining plants don't do the same thing....

Any kind of stress can make a plant herm. If your lights aren't on a consistent timer or done manually, if your room experiences weather changes like 15degrees or more, or light leaks into rooms, or wierd nutrient changes. Try to keep everything consistent and on schedule all the time.
this is so important IMO.

Thats a full blown male ya got there. Nothing hermie about it. Even on the first pics you posted i could tell it was a male. You want to remove that plant from your grow room before it pollinates every other plant you have. And then you will have hermies!!

420FREEDOM said:
Any kind of stress can make a plant herm. If your lights aren't on a consistent timer or done manually, if your room experiences weather changes like 15degrees or more, or light leaks into rooms, or wierd nutrient changes. Try to keep everything consistent and on schedule all the time.
this is so important IMO.
If temps are too high, stress can ensue, but temperature fluctuation within reasonable boundaries (ie. not too hot and not too cold) is fine. It is one of the things that encourages color change, and it also happens naturally outdoors.

Hick said:
hmmm... is anyone else having troouble seeing any pistils on that plant?..
I see new growth and the leaf spurs, that every plant has, but "I" don't see any female flowers...
Look at the first pic, on the node beneath the purple box, directly to the right of the main stem -- it appears as if there are two pistils emerging from a calyx. But taking into account the non-close up view and the lack of others, it's probably just a male and my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Latest posts

Back