Watt usage busts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffca

Reaction score
what is this i hear about the electrical companies reporting increases in kilowatt usage in a household to cops?

do they only report the increase if it is like really high if you had like 50 plants or would they notice an increase with just 1 400 watt light and like 5 plants?

They report heavy usage only, a sudden change, a normal 2.4 children family suddenly using enough electricity of a 12 family.

jeffca said:
what is this i hear about the electrical companies reporting increases in kilowatt usage in a household to cops?​

do they only report the increase if it is like really high if you had like 50 plants or would they notice an increase with just 1 400 watt light and like 5 plants?​

If you change all your bulbs in your house to energy efficient bulbs (11w) it will help you alot thats what I have done and make sure you keep other electrical equipment off standby, if your not using it turn it off.

One lucky thing for me is they will just think we may be using the airconditioner, however that never gets turned on

so they can't tell where the kilowatt usage is coming from in the house?

no,i dont think so,the only way they know your kilowatts is from the reading on your meter.when your running a bunch of random different things throughout your house,it just makes your meters disk thing that goes in circles move faster.i'd suggest unplugging the washer and dryer and anything else for taht matter when your not using it.even though somethings plugged in and off.it stil draws a small amount of energy.also,check your hot water heater,its its turned up all the way,turn it down a notch,you dont need to shower in boiling water (expecially not in the summer) and as for the usage goes,anything more than a 1000 watts per room might throw up some red flags,but in the beginning of the summer,normally,most everybodys usage goes up do to so many people using a.c.

Look at the wattage of your appliances. Coffee maker 1200 watts, water heater 1650, microwave oven 1000, a stand alone elec. heater or room AC 750-1500, light bulbs.. ;)
Swapping out 5, 100 watt incandescant bul;** for 5, 25 watt flourescent gives you a significant reduction, to counter balance a 400 useage...;)

jeffca said:
what is this i hear about the electrical companies reporting increases in kilowatt usage in a household to cops?​

do they only report the increase if it is like really high if you had like 50 plants or would they notice an increase with just 1 400 watt light and like 5 plants?​

I think it's a [change] thing. IE., if you were using $100 and now use $200 it may set up a red flag. Or if you use way way more than the previous amout used in that location, if you are new.:eek:
I dont think a 400w lamp used continuously would raise the flag, however, you could easily mitigate the increase by conserving elsewhere with cfl's and bad habit modification.
Lots of Folks use space heaters and mine is 1500w. If that dont bring LEO running to every old folks place, I think you are safe with a 400w:hubba:

Puffin Afatty said:
I think it's a [change] thing. IE., if you were using $100 and now use $200 it may set up a red flag. Or if you use way way more than the previous amout used in that location, if you are new.:eek:
I dont think a 400w lamp used continuously would raise the flag, however, you could easily mitigate the increase by conserving elsewhere with cfl's and bad habit modification.
Lots of Folks use space heaters and mine is 1500w. If that dont bring LEO running to every old folks place, I think you are safe with a 400w:hubba:

IMO I dont think even a $100.00 spike is going to set anything off, so many reasons your bill can jump $100.00.

Have you ever had a woman move in with you? bill will jump $100.00 right there.
The good thing is you can ditch your woman and setup a 1000 watter without ever noticing a jump in your bill. lol

eah if they were worried about 400 watts then they would be busting all the AC users. Maybe some of the kids are getting older and using more electricity etc. I also have heard that they have software to see spikes and schedules like 12/12 but in reality electricity is widely used by some many people for so many things. I think if you are under suspicion the electric may help them get a warrant but I wouldn't worry.

The only way your going to get busted for a wattage increase is if all of a sudden your wattage just sky rockets over night. If you were at a 2 on a scale of 1 -10 and then all of a sudden jumped to a 7, it is going to grab attention.

Just be smart about your consumption while growing. I UNPLUG things I am not using to help alleviate my consumption while I am growing. I turn of lights I am not using, and I try to regulate my heating and air conditioning usage. You can mask your grow consumption inside of your normal consumption if you just adjust things around. When I grew, I think my overall bill jumped up, at the most, three dollars a month because I would constantly be leveling off the scale. If I needed X amount of electricity. I ensured that I would turn off and unplug enough equipment in my house to free up that X amount without having to add additional consumption charges to the house.

Yeah, i wouldnt think during this time of year that so many red flags would be thrown up. even if your bill did go up quite a bit there are too many things to think about. they would also have to think that kids are home more and they never shut anything off. I would have to think that it would be other seasons that would be more of a worry. i would worry more about someone snitching on ya, or a strong smell coming from your house.

ok I have read some about the wattage and to make things short and simple, think of it this way:

WAY TO NOT GET CAUGHT:
Add one 400 watt bulb. No one will ever notice, even if it runs 24/7. One bulb is enough for plenty of plants so you're probably set.

WAY TO GET CAUGHT:
Add one 400 watt bulb. A week later add five more 400 bulbs. Two more weeks later, add five more 400 watt bulbs. This is the only way to get caught. ONE 400 watt bulb is not going to raise any flags.

I'm high and this is the best way I can explain it.

Hope it helps.

Latest posts

Back