What strain to grow in Oregon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His plan seem visable it just gonna need someone tending to it, was just courious on why not do it where you can monitor them?

Isnt tending to your plants the most important part of a sucessfull grow...?

IMO placing 100 femd seeds in the ground and coming back twice to check on them beofre harvest and pulling down LBs of good bud is nearly impossible...

Pipe dreams is the best I can come up with. The plants need regular watering, period. No way around that. You won't have any harvest, trust me. Find a closer place that one of you can visit weekly to water, feed and inspect for pests and you may have a chance of a harvest. Go small the first time, 10 will do it. Otherwise, you may as well toss those fem beans in the ditch. Not trying to be harsh, but there is just no way unattended seedlings can survive here from May till Nov.

I thought it rained a lot in oregon so watering didnt seem like as big of an issue..??

I've visited Oregon and am familiar with the autumn weather there. I have to agree with the guys above. Climate is not that hot in autumn and it is reasonably humid, but for an October 1 harvest a sat dom would be flowering since July 15 and the veg period is going to start around the beginning of May. So you'll need to cope with the summer temps . . . your own figures show only 1/2" of rain in July and same in August. Those plants would all die. Quite simple.
On the other hand if you can find a nearby water source such as the Russian River . . . but I honestly don't think there is any chance of survival till harvest, if you don't attend to their needs.

Well, goodness, it seems it is a consensus. I found another location with a bit better conditions:

May Average Max Temp: 65.3
May Average Min Temp: 39.6
May Average Total Precip: 4.72

June Average Max Temp: 71.4
June Average Min Temp: 44.5
June Average Total Precip: 3.17

July Average Max Temp: 77.6
July Average Min Temp: 46.6
July Average Total Precip: 1.08

Aug Average Max Temp: 77.5
Aug Average Min Temp: 47.5
Aug Average Total Precip: 1.83

Sep Average Max Temp: 72.9
Sep Average Min Temp: 44.4
Sep Average Total Precip: 4.53

Is there no way to get around the frequent watering? Are there no strains that are engineered for more arid environments? If ya'll are saying all the plants will straight up DIE in July then I suppose I won't bother, but if you're saying near only 10% will survive and those will be at only 50% their potential, I could live with that.

What do you have against watering the plants? It's not that hard to do. Yes, they will die in July if you don't. We went through a spell above 100 for a couple weeks this past July. They need almost daily watering at that time. You decide if the risk is worth it.

Simple fact is, you cannot grow high quality marijuanna without proper care.

I dont know aboat 100 plants , but good bud can be grown in the Eugene area with only 2 trips . The methed used is called barrel of buds. I first read about it in high times. :hubba: You take a 55 gallon food grade drum. you cut the top 3rd off and turn it upside down untop of the bottom 2/3 thats your reservoir.now on the top 1/3 that is your planter where you will be puting your soil later. Drill aboat 15 to 20 1/2 inch holes in the bottom. In each hole you place a 1/2 inch peice of nylon rope. These are your water wicks, they must reach all the way to the bottom of your 2/3 reservoir and most of the way into your 1/3 planter. Its basicly a hydroponic wick system. in the planter put 1/2 black gold potting soil,1/4 perlite, and 1/4 vermiculite. all avalable at Down To Earth. In the reservoir you want to fill with water and 1/2 strenth flowering hydroponic nutes general hydroponics floa 3 part works. It would work a lot better if you put in small plants instead of seeds but some seeds are bown to sprowt. I would use fem autos or a very fast indica. If you use autos you go back in 8-10 weeks,depending on strain and bam a barrel of buds is waiting for you. you also have to put a drain hole in the res. just below the planter so if it rains to much the plants dont get root rot. with autos it would be best to plant late may or early june so you can harvest before the deer hunters pick your dope for you.lol...I could not get the spell check to work because I am to EDIT sorry for the spelling. hope this helps. (PS) only a scum bag would boobytrap. plant in diferent sites and if one or two dont get ripped off or destroyed your good to go. There is no room for violence, and the magic weed.

home grow said:
I dont know aboat 100 plants , but good bud can and has been grown in the Eugene area with only 2 trips...

now this is a really intriguing idea! I love thinking outside the box. Anyone else have any thoughts re: this method or know anyone who's used it?

Thanks!

I forgot to say that the 1/2 inch nylon wicks in the barrel of buds should be the kind with lots of very small strands making up the rope, and in the planter you should unravel the ends. You dont want to use rope that can rot . later.

j2x, just where are you in coast range. I live so. of coos bay. We have a nice
saliva that's done in Oct. If your a card holder you may buy clones (for sure ladies) in coos bay. I'd look for a so.hill side near a creek, around blackberries (bb) bushes. You burrell a zig zag tunnel into the bb's. Every so often you clip a hole in the bb's. Plant 4 seeds per hole and tunnel on to the spot. Remember the (year round) creek comming above your patch. Well later on in summer your ladies will need water. Run a black hose to creek for the patch. By this time you'll fall in love with the ladies and will want to camp out.Peace out from Coos Co.97420

Lol at this thread. Dude, if all you hope for is 10% and would be happy with a couple lb's. Then go buy some indoor gear and do your homework. Couple lb's is no prob. Either way GL.

420benny said:
. Any strain that starts with AK is an auto strain.

I have nothing to add to this thread other than when I was reading through it I found this statement, and it is not true. Although there are now several "auto" AK varieties, the original AK47 is not an autoflowering plant, and is still avaliable itself, along with many crosses that will not automatically flower. If it does not say "auto" AK then it is probably the regular variety. The name AK47 was derived from one hit and you are done, it had nothing to do with auto. AK was avaliable way before the auto fad ever started.

I'm not trying to step on your toes Benny, and genuinly enjoy your company here...I just didn't want anyone makeing the mistake of thinking AK had something to do with autoflowering....peace

Since I'm at it, to the original poster: I have grown outdoors for 20+ yrs, you will have very little success starting from seeds outdoors. You should at least germinate them indoors under a floro, and then move them out once they are hardened off. I had some success using time release ferts so that the plants are fed everytime it rains. However, if and when you have a dry period of more than 10 days you are going to have to go out and put water on your plants. You will have to visit your grow a few times, to water, treat for pests, and weed out males...or when you go to harvest, you will have little to nothing. If you try to do this barrel trick, please be sure to clean up after yourself after harvest...if it isn't biodegradable, clean it up, for that matter pick up any trash you see while out in mother nature. We growers need a healthy earth to grow...keep it clean, and leave it better than the way you found it. Please, we already have a bad enough image, we don't need to add to the environmental problems.

legalize_freedom said:
please be sure to clean up after yourself after harvest...if it isn't biodegradable, clean it up, for that matter pick up any trash you see while out in mother nature. We growers need a healthy earth to grow...keep it clean, and leave it better than the way you found it. Please, we already have a bad enough image, we don't need to add to the environmental problems.

:yeahthat: :48:

legalize_freedom said:
I have nothing to add to this thread other than when I was reading through it I found this statement, and it is not true. Although there are now several "auto" AK varieties, the original AK47 is not an autoflowering plant, and is still avaliable itself, along with many crosses that will not automatically flower. If it does not say "auto" AK then it is probably the regular variety. The name AK47 was derived from one hit and you are done, it had nothing to do with auto. AK was avaliable way before the auto fad ever started.

I'm not trying to step on your toes Benny, and genuinly enjoy your company here...I just didn't want anyone makeing the mistake of thinking AK had something to do with autoflowering....peace
----------------------------------------------

No problem. Thanks for being nice about it. I thought that AK and auto were interchangeable terms. I will fix that from now on. I am an auto noobie:D

LOL...I'm an auto newbie to, never have grown them, but I have been around for awhile to know that AK was here way before the auto plants were avaliable. No need to thank me for being nice about it, I think thats the way all mistakes should be addressed personaly, you didn't know, and now you do. I've been doing this stuff for a long time, and the only thing that I do know for certain, is that I don't know everything! We are all always learning, and I'm happy I caught that little mistake, so to help you! Happy new yr bud!

Latest posts

Back