What to do about rising electric cost?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please help or I might have to shut everything off just to afford my month bill......

I can not afford to loose all my work. I invest over $25k..........

I have 7 fixtures running + attic fans + 5 ton AC unit + 16 pumps + CO2 + an RO filter system and A 24/7 Ip camera set up

I'm just not sure, but the longer this goes, the more it appears an elaborate charade' to get the product attention. (a similar charade as the LED lights fiasco)
I mean comon'.... if you invest $25,000.... you wouldn't foresee, anticipate future electrical costs???.. $25000 invested ..and can't afford a measly $600 bill?
Something just doesn't 'gel well'...:confused2:

wow.

with 25k I would have installed solar arrays and a battery bay to take myself off the grid.

Man, with that kind of investment, I may have attempted to tap into the earths heat by drilling a hole into the mantle...

How and why did you manage to spend so much money?

I have and often help design and build grow rooms often...I have yet to see ANYTHING cost more than 9 or 10k at the most.

...did you buy the gold plated ballasts?

Hick said:
..."stealing" electricity is NEVER a good idea. It not only reflects negatively on all growers, but also provides leo with "another" charge "when" you do get caught.
On any given day, you can find a headline reading about guys like you..
"Grow-op busted after worker discovers utility theft"... so now the uninformed believe that we are all not only pot smokers, but we are thieves as well.
"Most" of us here, are working, upstanding citizens of the community. Some are little league coaches, volunteer firemen, business owners, nurses, room mothers at school. The list goes on and on. "THAT" is the image that we should make efforts to convey/portray. Not further incriminate the growing community, by showing the world we are also theives.. "IMHO"... :)
Nothing is going to make the elec. co. report you/turn you in/prosecute you faster, than stealing their product.

WOW!!! interesting the way someone can make something sound good only if it suits them, but if it doesnt, they go to a MORAL high ground and look down their nose at it. Growing and using marijuana in most area's of North America is ILLEGAL, no matter the reason you rationalize it for yourself. Yet, using a device to reduce your powerbill by way of a product that was clearly explained to me before I purchased it that it does not steal or cheat in anyway, it simply is similar to inserting a device to your vehicle to have better petro consumption than the way it was manufactured, is that illegal and looked down upon also? I was sent an email by the sales person over there explaining the technology of this, it is not some bypass, diversion, or cheating item, it keeps them from over charging you because of spikes and surges. For example, when your a/c comes on, there is a huge spike when it comes on, then it goes down to normal consumption, this thing keeps that spike from happening and you from paying for it. For you, "theft" is too much of a disgrace sounding thing, yet for me, it is more of a disgrace to be known for using drugs, do you see how that sounds and how insulting it can be. I personally dont touch the stuff, I grow for my brother who is incapable of doing it for himself, the truth of the matter for either case, I am not injuring anyone or violating anyones rights (U.S. Constitution). I hold my head high because I do not use drugs, nor do I steal. I find it insulting that someone who does not have one or know anything about it will judge me as a theif on a forum based on illegal activity in most area's.

This comment goes to "leafminer" as well, which moral high ground are you on about what is ILLEGAL and ok, and what is ILLEGAL and not ok? I know for a fact that what I installed is not illegal. I dont care if you THINK you can make one for 5 bucks, I am happy for what I paid, because it was explained that there are people out ther that THINK they know how to make this, and they are talking before actually knowing what this thing is, it is not just some peice of metal jammed into that back of a meter or something, that kind of stuff will get someone hurt, killed, or homeless due to fire. I feel safer with this thing on my house for several reasons, I now have less risk of fire in my house because now I dont have spikes going through my house that could cause an electrical fire, I also am not worried about some jerk at the power company that smokes pot at home deciding that I am breaking some law because my consumption is above what he "thinks" it should be and rats me out to Law Enforcement so I get harrassed.

Just my honest opinion, did not expect to get flamed or to flame, or to judge or be judged in a forum like this. Just answered a question that I knew that answer to.

~HTR~

P.S. I also just noticed the post that this is a charade of some sort... I dont get paid by anyone to state my opinion, I am in the security consulting business and have been for over 12 years, I have no need to make sales for some internet site.

^^^^

There is a giant difference between "Stealing" and "Growing Marijuana" (which is kind of stealing from the govt')

You wan't to talk about moral integrity...why do I have to PAY MONEY for fresh, clean water?

HHMMMM???

because you live in an area densely populated enough that there isnt abundant naturally occurring clean water so you pay a company to transport clean and deliver it to you at a nominal fee. you are paying for the difference in water quality as there is no way to sustainable consume fresh water that isnt processed with 6.3b on this rock.

of course you could always go to the red motherland, where communist water meter pays you!

The Effen Gee said:
^^^^

There is a giant difference between "Stealing" and "Growing Marijuana" (which is kind of stealing from the govt')

You wan't to talk about moral integrity...why do I have to PAY MONEY for fresh, clean water?

HHMMMM???

Lets examine what you just said, first, there is a difference between stealing and growing marijuana... what is the difference if they are both considered to be against someones law? Second, having to pay money for fresh, clean water, if you were to purchase and/or create a device to process and clean the water coming from your tap to be as healthy as the water you get from a clean river in the hills, is that cheating the water company that is sending you in their opinion fresh, clean water? And to save the pipes in your house, you connect this device to the main line? That almost sounds like theft huh? If I am attaching to the main line, I must be doing something illegal? Just saying things off the top of my head, as I said before though, I find it interesting how someone can rationalize something that suits them, but if in their opinion, they dont like it or find it not in their own moral area of agreement, they judge THAT person as being the "bad person" or simply look down their nose at them... My mom used to call that... the pot calling the kettle black.

~HTR~

We are not talking about man's laws and the legality of growing or theft--we are talking about morals, right and wrong. If you do not see the moral difference between growing a natural substance that is legal in many places and stealing...well, I am speechless.

The water issue is about moral integrity not stealing.

If you have guilt issues with "your masters" who seem to be a bunch to be feared (not by me though) than you need to take that up with yourself.

Not here.

Growing weed in your house or on your property is not stealing. In fact you are STIMULATING THE ECONOMY because if you are doing things right...

...it's EXPENSIVE.

I agree, saving power would be great, but I don't think attaching a large capacitor to your house is going to effect much.

We turn on our lights @ 10% (we use dimmable 600 watt digitals) and then SLOWLY increase the light intensity.

Works like a charm.

Tips:

Insulate your room.
Vent well and EFFICIENTLY.
DITCH THE THOUSAND WATT LIGHTS!!!!!
Get a PH meter
Use Mylar or white paint...everywhere.
Run 16/8 then 12/12 to save power
Open the doors and let your room heat your house, which rocks by the way.
Purchase more effective and efficient fans.
Get a thermostat up.
Put your fans on timers, only need a small circulator for the dark right?

Now drop all this "we are doing a disservice to our society" crap and save that for the D.A.R.E. preasentations to scare fifth graders.

No guilt for what I do here and.....

ABSOLUTELY NO GUILT FOR RIPPING OFF THE MAN. EVER. PERIOD.

Water is not property, it's a resource and could be free to all.

I'm going with bb, turn off the powerstrips to the computer and TV, anything that is "instant" on is pretty much "on" all the time. Heating with the lights from the grow room is also good advise.
I live in a place that prolly has the cheapest power in the nation and my bank of floros raises my bill about $20 a month. Good to know now, that a 1000w light is not preferable to the 600w.
Good luck to you.

The Effen Gee said:
The water issue is about moral integrity not stealing.

If you have guilt issues with "your masters" who seem to be a bunch to be feared (not by me though) than you need to take that up with yourself.

Not here.

Growing weed in your house or on your property is not stealing. In fact you are STIMULATING THE ECONOMY because if you are doing things right...

...it's EXPENSIVE.

I agree, saving power would be great, but I don't think attaching a large capacitor to your house is going to effect much.

We turn on our lights @ 10% (we use dimmable 600 watt digitals) and then SLOWLY increase the light intensity.

Works like a charm.

Tips:

Insulate your room.
Vent well and EFFICIENTLY.
DITCH THE THOUSAND WATT LIGHTS!!!!!
Get a PH meter
Use Mylar or white paint...everywhere.
Run 16/8 then 12/12 to save power
Open the doors and let your room heat your house, which rocks by the way.
Purchase more effective and efficient fans.
Get a thermostat up.
Put your fans on timers, only need a small circulator for the dark right?

Now drop all this "we are doing a disservice to our society" crap and save that for the D.A.R.E. preasentations to scare fifth graders.

No guilt for what I do here and.....

ABSOLUTELY NO GUILT FOR RIPPING OFF THE MAN. EVER. PERIOD.

Water is not property, it's a resource and could be free to all.

The point I was making is that being judged on an item I answered a question about being told that I am stealing, when I know for a fact I am not is a bit unnerving, I used maybe some poor metaphores to make my point... but the bottom line is that unless you test something yourself, why would I be called a theif in so many words, you even got it wrong above... it is not a capacitor, and has never been described as one, yet... it is stealing? So far I have seen a lot of guessing on what I purchased, and no facts, one person has said it bypasses, or steals, the other said it is a capacitor, and that stealing is bad... what the hell?! I am not stealing, I am not trying to steal, I am not having denial about it or anything of the sort, the damn thing works for me, I never endorsed it for anyone here to go out and buy it or break any laws, I just gave my account and made a comment about spending 200 instead of 45k on a more socially accepted method of saving power, or doing all these, unplug your strips, buy more modern this or that, I just paid 200, took 5 to install it, and wham bam it works, and not by way of breaking any laws that have been inferred... sorry I posted an answer to a question. I'll leave it at that.

The Hemp Goddess said:
We are not talking about man's laws and the legality of growing or theft--we are talking about morals, right and wrong. If you do not see the moral difference between growing a natural substance that is legal in many places and stealing...well, I am speechless.

Repetative.... What is moral for you and what is moral for someone else is always going to be different, why push yours on me and me push mine on you is the point I was making... FYI: as said several times, I know I am not stealing, someone simply inferred I did and I take that as insult by someone who themselves rationalizes wrong and right or moral or immoral based on what suits them. I simply used metaphores based on what was talked about, even if it were completely my opinion or not does not matter.

What I am speechless about is the ignorant judgement based on ignorance... not meant as an insult, meant as the words actually mean. I would not debate politics if I did not know about the politician in office, so if you really dont know about what I installed, how can you intelligently base some of these comments as some sort of fact.

~HTR~

I'm done... I'll leave it alone, and it sucks this is how I made my first impression on a forum I hoped to enjoy.

Hold on a second and take a breath or two.

If this works for you, than what do you care what other people think?

I suggested a thread section dedicated to product reviews..

upon reading most of this thread I will assume it wont work in reality 'cause too many folks feelings get hurt. Perhaps it would not work.

If you say this Item works, effectively than you could leave it at that. Answer as many questions as you can and try to not get riled up when you feel attacked. Takes away from the item and the issue, saving power.

Led's get shot down constantly, I feel some of it is the helplessness that most of us are forced to use the most inefficient lights on the planet.

What do you mean I have to run 2400watts of power for 12 hours a day?

I really wish this problem could be addressed more and I feel as legalization for mediciane will help the industry develop itself and we will get those amazing new inventions that save the day...

For now I guess it's really a sore spot for most...Including myself.

..and please, don't give up on us.

hardtoremember said:
I'll leave it alone, and it sucks this is how I made my first impression on a forum I hoped to enjoy.
Okay, I appreciate an 'honest' review. But I have also been around theses forums long enough to know that the charades/scams that I spoke of, DO exist.
If I wrongfully accused you, I apologize.
But I question the legality of your device. If it's all legal and legit, why oh WHY, would the site be forced to remove it from their site product list? If I'm selling a "device" to improve your "petro" mileage, am I going to remove it from the market because Exxon tells me to?? If it isn't "cheating" or stealing from the service provider, why would "they" care?
I did get a copy of my TOS from the power company. It say this device is
illegal meaning a (2nd degree misdameanor) + a $300 meter reset fee.
Can Exxon prosecute me for swapping out my 4 barrel Holly double pumper for a 2 barrel FoMoCo?? No.
but If I attach a device to their gas pumps, that decieves or cheats them, by reciving "petrol" without paying for it.(your analogy)They most likely can. That would be "stealing", no?
If in fact, the 'device' actually allows you to consume "less" power, THAT isn't "stealing".. then the elec. supplier would not have a legal leg to stand on, in attempting to prosecute a consumer or distibuter of the device.
No different than Exxon prosecuting FoMoCo for distributing 2 barrel carb's.
Am I way off base here??

I'm sorry you toook such great offense to my "moral" high ground. But as I see it.. "a spade is a spade is a spade"... if you are recieving and useing electricity produced by a supplier without paying the supplier, IMO (and apparently in the eyes of the electical suppliers and many here).. it's stealing.
If you are useing "less" power/energy by improving "efficiency" that is not stealing...IMO
I fail ro see any middle ground. Either you are paying for the elec. you use or you aren't.

Hold on here guys,if you don't like what is written...don't read it(we still have a couple rights...)but me ,myself would like to know a-little something something about this.
1.Can your meter reader see the rpu190?
2.Can a person with no electrical experience install?
3.You said something to the matter of they took it off their site but still offer it,or something to that matter.You also said something about it NOT being ILLEGAL.I'm having mixxed emotions about that.
4.How could the electric company know your implicating this"rpu190"(***. the answer to #1 is no)
I'm interested but need to know more,thank you 4 your time.

Hick said:
Okay, I appreciate an 'honest' review. But I have also been around theses forums long enough to know that the charades/scams that I spoke of, DO exist.
If I wrongfully accused you, I apologize.
But I question the legality of your device. If it's all legal and legit, why oh WHY, would the site be forced to remove it from their site product list? If I'm selling a "device" to improve your "petro" mileage, am I going to remove it from the market because Exxon tells me to?? If it isn't "cheating" or stealing from the service provider, why would "they" care?

Can Exxon prosecute me for swapping out my 4 barrel Holly double pumper for a 2 barrel FoMoCo?? No.
but If I attach a device to their gas pumps, that decieves or cheats them, by reciving "petrol" without paying for it.(your analogy)They most likely can. That would be "stealing", no?
If in fact, the 'device' actually allows you to consume "less" power, THAT isn't "stealing".. then the elec. supplier would not have a legal leg to stand on, in attempting to prosecute a consumer or distibuter of the device.
No different than Exxon prosecuting FoMoCo for distributing 2 barrel carb's.
Am I way off base here??

I'm sorry you toook such great offense to my "moral" high ground. But as I see it.. "a spade is a spade is a spade"... if you are recieving and useing electricity produced by a supplier without paying the supplier, IMO (and apparently in the eyes of the electical suppliers and many here).. it's stealing.
If you are useing "less" power/energy by improving "efficiency" that is not stealing...IMO
I fail ro see any middle ground. Either you are paying for the elec. you use or you aren't.

I understand your viewpoint, but everything I have learned about the product I am using, you are not stealing, you are not getting more power for nothing, it makes it so you pay for what you use and doesnt allow spikes and surges to go through your meter, which is a huge amount of your bill.

INTHEDES said:
Hold on here guys,if you don't like what is written...don't read it(we still have a couple rights...)but me ,myself would like to know a-little something something about this.
1.Can your meter reader see the rpu190?
2.Can a person with no electrical experience install?
3.You said something to the matter of they took it off their site but still offer it,or something to that matter.You also said something about it NOT being ILLEGAL.I'm having mixxed emotions about that.
4.How could the electric company know your implicating this"rpu190"(***. the answer to #1 is no)
I'm interested but need to know more,thank you 4 your time.

No, you cant see it once you install it, I installed it and I am not an electrician, took me about 5 minutes, they sent me a video on how to do it when I got it. When I called h20, they said they were getting harrassed by a couple utility companies, but nothing legal happened, they just didnt want to deal with them, so they just sell it when people ask about it, one lady there said she would probably put it back on the site later. I have had mine on for over a year and have not got any hassle, my bill always goes lower in the winter anyway, thats when I put mine on, my biggest savings are over the summer because of my a/c.

I gave their website earlier to answer someone else, you prob should call them, they are the ones who sell it and can explain a lot better than me.

~HTR~

did you have to remove their "seal" or their meter in any way?

Kilowatt2008 said:
I have done almost everything....
I am asking anyone?
who knows anything about saving or reducing my power bill.
So i may still afford to keep on going?
I saw a product has anyone heard or used this devise on h20gardening.com
rpu190? if so let me know what you think??

Please help or I might have to shut everything off just to afford my month bill.
I USE CFLs FOR EVERYTHING. GROWING. SEEING. EVERYTHING.

i RUN MY LIGHTS 4 12 HOURS(8PM-8AM),SO I CAN REMOVE VEGGIN PLANTS (DURING THE NIGHT CYCLE)AND PLACE BY THE WINDOW.

Latest posts

Back