What will yield more?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilbudd

Reaction score
4 plants in a 3x3x4 area vegged for 5 weeks and then flowered

or

9 plants in a 3x3x4 area flowered from seedling

Pick your poison.:p

i would think the same for each, or maybe more with bigger 4,

I'm wondering myself, if i should do 4 plants in a 6x6 or 6 plants

Oh, I forgot to add its under a 400watt HPS

I feel like you should get alot more growing 4 w/vegg., but I'm not sure maybe my instinct is wrong.

id say you'll get more if you have 4 plants that you veg for a month b-4 inducing flowering.theyd be larger plants,itd just take a lil longer to get the bud from them.

jmo,but i am going to do all my plants this way.this was by error that i found this out.i had 4 plants in with my flowering plant,due to the heat issue with my veg tent.after 2 weeks i transplanted into larger pots and they were lush.huge root ball and plant growth.short,stocky and healthy.i am putting my babies into the HPS tent this morning for 2 weeks to give them that jump that i got from my trial plants.might not be right.but if it works for you,do it is how i look at it.everybody has their own way of doing things.whatever works for you.this will be my system from now on.also 400 w MH & HPS

lilbudd said:
4 plants in a 3x3x4 area vegged for 5 weeks and then flowered

or

9 plants in a 3x3x4 area flowered from seedling

Pick your poison.:p

I think a better question is... Will you have enough vertical height to veg 4 plants for 5 weeks, while keeping them under a 400.

When taking the size of the light and distance required from the plants into consideration, you will have 2.5 feet at most of actual growing head space.

How do you plan on cooling this space?

sea of green!!! 6 1 foot plants yeild as much as 1 6 foot plant

city said:
sea of green!!! 6 1 foot plants yeild as much as 1 6 foot plant
I agree, Sea of Green would work beautifully with that height restriction. Flower from seed, four plants per square foot, 1-2 ounces per plant and you've got a space completely filled with thick colas with no room to spare.

i've flowered 4 that were vegged one month each. they were about 2 foot tall when finished, plus the bucket, so 3 ft. I had 4 of them in a 2x4 area (8 sq ft) and they did ok. One ounce per plant under 400 watts. they were seriously out of room in there though. i decided that i would never do so close again. Now I give each plant a 2x2 square to grow in at least. i wish i could figure out how to post pictures, i would love to show, any help out there? I'd appreciate it.

So far I've seen about 1- 1 1/2 ounces per 100 watt yield. w/o co2

Thanks everyone for your replies... As mass producer said, I do have height restrictions. Therefore I am going to go with the SOG approach. As for cooling, I plan on having two fans... one blowing in, and one blowing out.

4u2smoke... I know the bigger the plant the bigger the yield. However, in my question I asked if you think 4 vegged plants would yield more than 9 plants flowered from seed.

IlusionalFate... So if I do go with the sea of green technique... Do you think having a mother and cloning would be a better option that seeds? Also would 4 plants per square foot be too tight?

Once, again thanks all for your opinions.

I think that with height restrictions, you should look at LST and/or SCROG. With SOG, you are looking to grow tall single cola plants--I would be concerned about your head space.

You will get more out of 4 plants vegged longer than you will out of 9 plants done 12/12 from seed. The longer you veg, the bigger the plant, the bigger the plant, the more bud (generally speaking).

If you go SOG, it is far better to go with clones, since there will be no males to weed out.

:yeahthat: im preparing to do a scrog & i have 5' head room. i have 6 plants veggin that are 9-12" & will be under a 600w hps. if you plan on scrog use a screen thats no larger than 3'x3' for a 400w. let your screen fill up 75-80% & flip your lights. quantity of plants is up to you, i wouldn't do more than 9 though in 1 gal pots.

since i am buying a portable ac unit just for my grow tents,i am going to buy several fluros to hang on 3 sides of my tent,with the 400 watter.think i can squeeze more plants in this way.i love the sativa buzz but it takes so long to flower that i am going to go with a mostly indica strain for my mother plant.that way i can grow them about 12 inches then throw the switch on them.everybody want the best yield possible,but being new,it doesn't take long to figure out exACTLY WHAT YOU CAN And can not do.i have only 1 plant in flower due to males and hermies.but,i see now how i have to do this.i wasn't figuring on the height of the bucket,the space the reflector takes.put that all together and you better not get over 4-4.5 ft tall plants.thats why i will put my plants into flower as soon as they are 12 inches tall.sorry to run on like this,just buzzed,lol

lilbudd said:
Thanks everyone for your replies... As mass producer said, I do have height restrictions. Therefore I am going to go with the SOG approach. As for cooling, I plan on having two fans... one blowing in, and one blowing out.

4u2smoke... I know the bigger the plant the bigger the yield. However, in my question I asked if you think 4 vegged plants would yield more than 9 plants flowered from seed.

Once, again thanks all for your opinions.

My Bad:hitchair: my friend...i sometimes forget people and micro grows..sorry...I have not done the "scrog" but does sound like the way to go....i do like "LST"..for keeping plant Low...and it gets me close to my Girl:hubba: ..if I was to answer the question ..I would say 4 plants vegged, that are female, would yield more then 9 from seed....but its a toos up. you could get all Males from seed or you could get 9 females...I have not done 12/12 from seed...Maybe I will run a side by side this fall..thanks for the thread...KEEP M GREEN:D

Latest posts

Back