What's wrong with my babies? Help!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xJuniperx

Reaction score
Currently growing a strain called Chrystal - a mix between white widow and northern lights. These plants are about a month old, perhaps a bit less. About a week ago, one-at-a-time, they started experiencing yellowing around the edges of the lowest leaves as well as some curling.

When the problem was in its early stages, I added extra water and nutrients, which helped a bit with the curling, perked the leaves up, and caused brief rapid growth. However, shortly after, other leaves started to experience the same symptoms. I'm not sure whether to continue adding extra water and nutrients, as I'm afraid of drowning them or causing nutrient burn.

I've done a lot of research but can't quite figure out what the problem is! Hoping you guys can tell me by looking at these pictures! Thank you so, so, sooo much in advance.

2011-09-19 01.16.48.jpg

2011-09-19 01.16.56.jpg

2011-09-19 01.17.06.jpg

2011-09-19 01.27.26.jpg

;) Don't worry, I'm pretty sure those are just the baby leaves coming off. I forgot the name of the first set of leaves any MJ plant grows ,but i think its normal for them to yellow and fall off because as the plant matures it develops more complex type leaves and does'nt require the starter leaves anymore. Like training wheels, eventually they come off.
I'm Pretty sure thats' what is happening, perhaps if sumone knows differently?
As long as its' just those two beginner leaves-no sweat, but if you see more yellowing then you might have an issue that you can correct, also i would go back to the way you were feeding before, as you don't want to overload on the N as it does'nt or should'nt really require more. right? :)

Just to be efficient ,they are called Cotyledon leaves.
The "cotyledons" are what's left of the seed after it splits open and the tap root grows downward. The seed, with it's split, open, shell (like a little "hat") gets pushed upwards, above ground. The shell falls off revealing the cotyledons or "seed leaves", they are like the two halves of a peanut or a dried bean. They contain all of the stored energy to get the plant going - shriveling up and falling off in the process. They are the first two, small, round, thick leaves. The plant continues to grow upward from these "seed leaves" untill you get the first set of, familiar, "true leaves" (narrow and pointy with serrated edges, usually with three "fingers").

I'd not call this normal, never happens to me. May be a few things, what's your watering habits? Are you spilling water on the plant? Feed schedule? Fill us in with info so we can help better.

This is not normal or desirable. They are also quite small for a month old. What are you feeding them and in what concentrations. I believe that the third pic shows definite sights of nute burn. Babies do not need much feed at first. What is your soil mixture? Did it have nutrients in it?

PH and ppm of your water and or feed? Looks like nute burn or/and a ph problem. Jmo

Solanero said:
Just to be efficient ,they are called Cotyledon leaves.
The "cotyledons" are what's left of the seed after it splits open and the tap root grows downward. The seed, with it's split, open, shell (like a little "hat") gets pushed upwards, above ground. The shell falls off revealing the cotyledons or "seed leaves", they are like the two halves of a peanut or a dried bean. They contain all of the stored energy to get the plant going - shriveling up and falling off in the process. They are the first two, small, round, thick leaves. The plant continues to grow upward from these "seed leaves" untill you get the first set of, familiar, "true leaves" (narrow and pointy with serrated edges, usually with three "fingers").
You are correct about the cotyledons my friend, but incorrect that the leaves dieing here are cotyledon loss. These plants have long lost their cotyledons and are up into normal growth. This leaf necrosis is looking very much like nute burn. From the look of that soil, I would say that the soil is very rich in nutrients(too rich) for young plants. One should never start out plants in rich or prenuted soil.

It is possible that is heat/light burn but I am more inclined to say nute burn. What kind of soil is that and did you start them in it, and have you done any feeding before this recent one?

I don't think is the soil. If was soil the damages would be visible earlier IMO.

O.k - Sorry Orange , i was tryin to help ,...i really only saw the one pic with the wilted first leaves, i will refrain from giving advice that i am not 100% about, or be more careful at least. At least i didnt tell her to do something crazy.
Well, i learned something here if you did'nt:)
Peace and good growing.

Chrystal - what a nice strain name.
I'll be sure to grow it one day :)

Any-who, I did come across this problem in the beginning, it appears to be over fed with nutrients , you stated that you added " EXTRA" nutrients?

cup of ?'s

How far do you have your light ?
How Often do you feed and how much?

My first thought of any wrong symptoms I cant quite figure out with my girlies I tend to just go ahead and flush them and feed them with water for a week- but that's just my routine.

When using nutes in container growing I belong to the less is better than more school. I've burned my share of plants over the years. Try to follow a schedule and maybe mix the nutes at about half strength. Right now you may try flushing the soil and then give it a wait and see. Good luck

Solanero said:
O.k - Sorry Orange , i was tryin to help ,...i really only saw the one pic with the wilted first leaves, i will refrain from giving advice that i am not 100% about, or be more careful at least. At least i didnt tell her to do something crazy.
Well, i learned something here if you did'nt:)
Peace and good growing.
No worries Brother :) We all get one wrong no and then. :)

Latest posts

Back