When to transplant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve1

Reaction score
My girls are 3weeks old today. I know every seed, strain and plant are different and grow at different rates. I can’t believe I was worried about how slow they were growing. They have very thick and sturdy stalks and are doing great. When would y’all suggest transplanting into bigger pots? Oh and there are some water spots on the leaves in the photo that I removed. Thanks

Attachments

• 9BDD0078-DD04-487C-8758-64EE8C6C23AA.jpeg
    9BDD0078-DD04-487C-8758-64EE8C6C23AA.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 44
Good rule of thumb is to transplant when the plant is as big as its starting container. Im in a flood and drain setup so it doesnt matter for me. But in a handwatering soil grow its generally recommended to let them get a little bigger.

If the roots are showing in the drain holes then it’s usually a good time to repot.

I’ve seen plants bigger than yours still in Solo cups but it’s usually from the more experienced growers. I typically transplant when they are about the same size as your largest.

Practicality says you will have to wait a little to do it easily because the level of your soil compared to the rim of the cup. I like to be able to pop them out and catch them with all growth above my hand between ring and middle finger.
I started them at that level because in the past I've had to add soil to the cup for support. Not these girls!

I hear ya, sometimes they stretch, but it’s not a sound practice. Can cause dampening off. Once the plant decides where the surface is I wouldn’t mess with that.
That's what was happening before, They would stretch to a point where they would flop over. Last grow was better and I've learned a lot since then. Thanks

When u have to water like every 2/3 days then they usually ready for a upgrade. I try to run about 2/3 week and then go to Slightly bigger square for another 3wk and then transplant to 5gal.

When u have to water like every 2/3 days then they usually ready for a upgrade. I try to run about 2/3 week and then go to Slightly bigger square for another 3wk and then transplant to 5gal.

I had understood that transplanting more than once is a bad idea. However, I was thinking that the slower growing sativas might be better off in an intermediate pot, move to a one gallon from the solo cup, because my local weather is very unpredictable (hot, cold, wind, fog, windy fog, etc.) through June. In the gallon container, I can move them around and keep and eye on mold, fungus, what-have-yous. After that, usually sunny and warm and then the sativa gals can take their sweet time to harvest. (It took an Ethiopian about 8 months to get there.)

One more question...for now: any tips on how to transplant without the soil dropping off of the roots? I've never killed a plant doing this, but seems like asking for trouble to disturb the roots so much. Wonder if pressing down on the soil a bit to compact before decanting?

I had understood that transplanting more than once is a bad idea. However, I was thinking that the slower growing sativas might be better off in an intermediate pot, move to a one gallon from the solo cup, because my local weather is very unpredictable (hot, cold, wind, fog, windy fog, etc.) through June. In the gallon container, I can move them around and keep and eye on mold, fungus, what-have-yous. After that, usually sunny and warm and then the sativa gals can take their sweet time to harvest. (It took an Ethiopian about 8 months to get there.)
I like transplanting four times from solo, 1 gallon, 3 gallon, final pot I use fresh fox farm frog dirt and don’t have to feed much in veg adding fresh soil. I think giving the roots time to catch up to each pot size create a better final root ball With a better chance and healthier roots but that is just my opinion

My girls are 3weeks old today. I know every seed, strain and plant are different and grow at different rates. I can’t believe I was worried about how slow they were growing. They have very thick and sturdy stalks and are doing great. When would y’all suggest transplanting into bigger pots? Oh and there are some water spots on the leaves in the photo that I removed. Thanks

wait two more weeks

One more question...for now: any tips on how to transplant without the soil dropping off of the roots? I've never killed a plant doing this, but seems like asking for trouble to disturb the roots so much. Wonder if pressing down on the soil a bit to compact before decanting?

the secret is plenty of roots and then pop them out form the bottom when the plant soil is completely dry

I like transplanting four times from solo, 1 gallon, 3 gallon, final pot I use fresh fox farm frog dirt and don’t have to feed much in veg adding fresh soil. I think giving the roots time to catch up to each pot size create a better final root ball With a better chance and healthier roots but that is just my opinion

about the same here

16 oz beer cups to two gallon pots and then into the ground

Thank you!

about the same here

16 oz beer cups to two gallon pots and then into the ground
Was trying to decide to put my outdoor plants in big pots or in the ground I thought maybe I could control what gets in the dirt better in pots there is a lot of life in my soil here some good like lots tons of earthworms and some not so good like cinch bugs and root eaters. They didn’t bother my garden veggies much in fact the garden last summer produced abundantly. Just don’t know how the critters both underground as well as on top will act with pot plants and would like to be able to move them to safety if needed. Your thoughts on taking a chance in the ground or what size pots if not. Maybe I could try both

Yep, like Big said. Let the pot dry out as much as possible before up potting.

Was trying to decide to put my outdoor plants in big pots or in the ground I thought maybe I could control what gets in the dirt better in pots there is a lot of life in my soil here some good like lots tons of earthworms and some not so good like cinch bugs and root eaters. They didn’t bother my garden veggies much in fact the garden last summer produced abundantly. Just don’t know how the critters both underground as well as on top will act with pot plants and would like to be able to move them to safety if needed. Your thoughts on taking a chance in the ground or what size pots if not. Maybe I could try both

take a chance and do in ground , with one plant , see what happens

I think that’s a good idea. I’m not sure anything will work in my yard as I’m limited with a lot of shade although i do have sun in a few places for a few hours that might work. Just don’t have any all day sun except where my veggie garden is in the side of my house viewable to everyone that drives past my house. The more private back yard has mostly shade except around my deck I have a flowerbed I’m moving two azalea plants to make room for two hooch plants. I guess one in a large pot (what size pot?) and one in the ground 😊

I still have my tent for back up with flowering all the time and a veggie area inside too. Will hope that both inside and outside plants do well

Latest posts

Back