Which cloner seems to be the best?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highway

Reaction score
Turbo Kloner T24 or EZ Cloner 30,it seems to me that the Turbo Kloner with the built in fan(for temp. control) would work the best but not sure as I have not cloned before.

IMO, these are both horribly overpriced for what they are. You could make something pretty much the same for $40 or so. I don't really understand the function of the fan...

I was looking at them on Amazon.com and at the responses from people that bought them, they liked the one with fan to keep the temps. down.

I like the ez cloner as it works great if you keep the solution at the right temps. But I have also found, as THG said, You can build an "ez" bubble cloner that works just as good and is about $150-300 cheaper :)

Agree with THG and Hush. I built my own bubble cloner for like 30 bucks and it works great. All you need is a tote, air pump, a couple air stones and the hose.

I just use clear shoe boxes from the $1 store and T-12's hung from sawhorses. Has worked fine for many, many years.

It's not the equipment, but the grower.

Wet

I own the turbo Kloner T24. I love it. Works great. Easy to clean due to the rounded corners and angled sides. It's important to get all algae and things cleaned out and hard census seem to hold it in there. Just my opinion.

You can also just stick with some basics.

Flat tray, 3/4" bed of rinsed and adjusted coco coir spread across the bottom of the tray, adjusted rockwool or grow plugs, heat mat and a dome.

I have used many methods over the years and this has proven to be the most reliable and consistent for me. I get my cubes as wet as the will hold, pre warm them also. and then once my cuttings are ready and placed into my cube I slightly nestle the cube into the coco bed. This technique allows for more even heat transfer, and a balanced amount of water retention from the cube.

Thanks everybody for the insite but I'am leaning twards the Torbo kloner as I have alittle extra $ now.

highway said:
Thanks everybody for the insite but I'am leaning twards the Torbo kloner as I have alittle extra $ now.

I have a EZ clone and it has worked great but has also failed miserably.

It all came down to keeping it very clean, not just for keeping bad things at bay but to prevent the water from overheating.
What I found was residue in the spray nozzles, this restriction creates heat and in turn reduces the DO levels of the water.

You won't go wrong with a nice commercial cloner as they work great. Get yourself a nice meat thermometer that is used to stick into beef or turkey. Put this thermometer in one of the neoprene holder pucks and leave it so that the face of the thermometer is facing up. This is so that you can monitor the inside temp of the water and air within the cloner without having to turn it off and raise the top. You want to maintain a constant temp of 77-80f for best results. :)

I just can't see spending that kind of coin on something I could make for 1/5th the price. They want 155 bucks for a 24 site turbo kloner. I just got roots in 10 days using a 2 litter soda bottle that I cut in half. All I did was soak the rapid rooter plug, squeeze out the excess water, put my clone in it and let it sit for 10 days in the soda bottle. 5 days in I dipped the rapid rooter in water. That was it. No misting, no fussing. jmo

Hushpuppy said:
You want to maintain a constant temp of 77-80f for best results. :)

70f is what is stated in the instructions, I found this did work best for me.
This is from the instructions with the EZ clone.

IMPORTANT!! - Ok, now it’s time for water temperature. As with most aeroponic and hydroponic

systems, the EZ-CLONE was designed to be used indoors or in a temperature controlled environment.

When I was creating and first started using the EZ-CLONE, I noticed that if my water temperature was

getting over 80 degrees in the reservoir, the cuttings were prone to developing harmful bacteria. This

was usually in the form of a grayish-brown slime, and if not treated quickly, would kill all of my cuttings.

That being said, it didn’t take me very long to figure out that during warm periods of the year, I had to

keep the unit in an air-conditioned room or find another way of keeping my water at a suitable

temperature. My focus was keeping my water as close to 70 degrees as possible. This is where I was

seeing the best results and as long as I was cleaning the unit properly in between uses, my results were

very good, usually between 95-100%.

In an attempt to further the output of the cloning system during hot times of the year and achieve more
consistent results, I decided to try using a Water Chiller. These allow you to cool the water down
considerably without having to place the Cloner in an air-conditioned room. I thought about how much
energy was consumed by running an air conditioner in comparison to the amount of energy used by the
Water Chiller. Although a good quality Water Chiller is a few hundred bucks, it does use considerably
less electricity and it applies the cold water directly to the unit as opposed to trying to cool the air around
it. The amount of money that you save in air conditioning costs pays for the Water Chiller in no time at
all. It’s well worth the investment!
Anyway, I now use a Water Chiller instead of air conditioning. I set the Chiller temperature at 68
degrees and I get better results than I’ve ever seen. The cuttings root within 5-7 days, look absolutely
beautiful, and are able to be pulled from the unit in 10-14 days with about 100% success.

Thanks Hushpuppy,my grow rooms run about 80 to 85 degrees,40 to50% humid,the meat thermometer sounds great,soon as out side temps get lower here in the north east, the rooms will be in the 75 to 80 degree range and I think the turbo cloner will work fine. I have one room with a 400w hps for veg and the other room I have a 600w and a 400w hps for bud.I have been growing auto's for some time, with good success but I want to grow photos now and clone as I have many photo seeds and don't need the exposhire of buying seeds and I need the expectations of larger harvests and I need the challange of something new as I am in my mid 60's.

Hey Highway; Look around for a Metal halide bulb for the veg space (if your 400w ballast is electronic, it will run both MH and HPS) that puts out 6500k spectrum. Most MH bulbs put out 5000k which isn't as good because it has too much green light in it. But I have seen several that produce 6500k which is ideal for vegging. Grow Mojo for your cloning :) Also make sure to get some Clonex gel as it helps a lot with rooting.

Growdude: I am surprised that the guy would say 70f, but everyone has their own way of doing things. I'm not saying you or he are wrong, this is just my experience. I have had several situations where I found the 77-80f range produced better results for myself and others, without the issue of slime buildup. My Bro has an ez-cloner 40, I believe, and he was having a hard time with it taking a long time to get the cutting to root. He uses Clonex and has good aeration but wasn't getting but about 50%success and it took several weeks. His temps were in the lower 70s. I put the meat thermometer in it and we ran the temps up to right at 79-80f and he immediately went from 50% to 99% success and they were rooting within 7-9days.

I actually discovered this temp usage by accident with my bubble cloners. I was having trouble cloning in lower temps, and thought it was not enough light so I closed the door on my cloner cabinet and turned on another bulb in my T5 fixture. within a week I started seeing root growth, and I noticed the temps were staying right around the upper 70s. The second time I did cloning, it was warmer outside and I was having trouble keeping the temps down in the cloner so I turned off one of the bulbs and opened the cabinet to let in better air flow. The temps came down and the cloner stayed right at 80f. I was concerned about not having enough light but tried it anyway as having more light increased the temps. within 5 days I was seeing root bumps and within 7 days, I had new roots shooting out everywhere.

I continued to use this method of lower light and 77-80f temps with 95-100% success, and no sign of slime in the cloner. After this was when my Bro told me he was having trouble and I changed his to the higher temps. He has had solid success ever since (for over 2years now). I have told a couple other people who have had similar, better results. Maybe its strain specific with either my results or the cloner guy's results, or some other variable that one of us has missed, I don't know. :)

Built my bubble cloner for about $43.00 and it works WONDERS. Before my cloner, I got like 2 out of over 25 attempted clones (in 3 different cloning attempts) to take. The first time I used my bubble cloner I got 13 out of 22 clones to take and throw wonderful looking roots!

I absolutely love my bubble cloner, and if it weren't for Hushpuppy staying on me to keep cloning I would've absolutely given up by now! :D

I would not buy an EZ cloner, unless it was dirt cheap.. because at under $50.00, I had fun making mine and feel WAY more accomplished since I created it and it was successful.

HP I might give that a try if I break out the cloner again, recently been using RR in a solo cup of Coco mix and it works great.

Sometimes the simple things are just so easy to overlook. Less is more sorta thing.
Just a quick look back at the basic method mentioned earlier,( flat tray coco coir and some cubes.) not only is this option very cost effective and highly successful, it is nothing but easy when it comes time to clean.

Additionally, after countless thousands of cuttings I am convinced that rooting hormones/solutions are really not necessary for successful root set.

Again we all have our preferred methods.

Yes Golden Zia and so many others you may be right but we don't live in that world any more,we now live in a teck world where it changes daily and advances come quickly.I remember back 1985(like it was yesterday)when I changed my split window coupe for a new designed 85 vette,everyone said I was nuts,but the handeling,less back jarring ride and speed made it a home run(TECHNOLOGY).I respect everyones ideas,old values or new,but I want and look for results,and a bubble cloner showing such great results I must go with it.My opinon only,sorry for the rattiling on.

Latest posts

Back