Who created this website?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Puna bud

Reaction score
I totally support Pakalolo websites. But I'm having a hard time fully excepting the name "Marijuana Passion"! Why? The name "marijuana",is totally offensive to anyone who supports the use of medical cannabis!

Listen, I've been using Pakalolo(hawaiian for Cannabis) probably longer than most of the poster here have been alive! I smoked my first joint back in 1967,and haven't looked back once, since then.

I've been a guerilla farmer for years. I'm also a Cannabis Breeder(backyard Botanist) for close to 20 years too. But getting my state "blue card", has allowed me to come in from the cold! For me it was the single greatest move forward in an attempt to eventually decriminalize Cannabis use, and of course ultimately legalize it!
I fought through all the "Pakalolo Wars" of the 70's on Maui, and in the process lost both property & home in Lahaina Maui. So I take some offense in the use of the word "marijuana", which is slang, and was created by the very people who wish you never smoke the evil weed!:rolleyes: To this day, the use of the word "marijuana" immediately brings up a negative image in the media! That is why people opposed to this magical plant, constantly use the term "marijuana". So I find myself really having a hard time with this name. Knowledgeable people on the right opposed to the use of Cannabis have to be snickering at the name of this website!

I would truly wish the owner/creator of this website would seriously consider changing the name. If the owner is serious about his passion,and who love to see it legalized in his or her lifetime. Please get rid of the name marijuana!!!!

How do most of you members feel about this?

Hey Puna, welcome to MP. I think that you're getting a little upset over nothing. We have a great community of growers here (plenty of medical growers included)

I think it's a great name, and this site really stands out from all the rest. Take a look around .... I'm sure you'll agree. I can't speak for others but I doubt many others have a problem with the name either.
If the owner is serious about his passion,and who love to see it legalized in his or her lifetime. Please get rid of the name marijuana!!!!
How on earth does the word "marijuana" have anything to do with whether it is legalised or not ?

I don't think your in from the cold yet my friend, not yet. Hawaii only has an ounce limit with a MAX of 7 plants. Your telling me you have been an underground grower who now only grows up to an Ounce? Cmon meow.

First off, Your own state laws governing Meidical Marijuana has the word "marijuana" in it several times. MMJ is a RECOGNIZED term in the Medical community. It is not totally offensive to ANY one I know in the industry, that is for sure.
Also, "marijuana" does not conjure up negitive images because of the term. Watch "Marijuana Nation" tonight on National Geographic @ 10pm pst. It is not called "cannibis nation". And yes, it is pro MJ.

And you talk of how "slang" makes you upset. Yet you use "Pakalolo", which is also slang. Your making no sense my friend.

Now, please don't take offence man, I have been a part of the Medical Marijuana scene here in Cali since '96 and we have come LEAPS and BOUNDS since then. And not once have I heard of a "name change" to gain support of ignorant folks.

NorCalHal said:
I don't think your in from the cold yet my friend, not yet. Hawaii only has an ounce limit with a MAX of 7 plants. Your telling me you have been an underground grower who now only grows up to an Ounce? Cmon meow.

First off, Your own state laws governing Meidical Marijuana has the word "marijuana" in it several times. MMJ is a RECOGNIZED term in the Medical community. It is not totally offensive to ANY one I know in the industry, that is for sure.
Also, "marijuana" does not conjure up negitive images because of the term. Watch "Marijuana Nation" tonight on National Geographic @ 10pm pst. It is not called "cannibis nation". And yes, it is pro MJ.

And you talk of how "slang" makes you upset. Yet you use "Pakalolo", which is also slang. Your making no sense my friend.

Now, please don't take offence man, I have been a part of the Medical Marijuana scene here in Cali since '96 and we have come LEAPS and BOUNDS since then. And not once have I heard of a "name change" to gain support of ignorant folks.

ooooooooof

Puna bud said:
I totally support Pakalolo websites. But I'm having a hard time fully excepting the name "Marijuana Passion"! Why? The name "marijuana",is totally offensive to anyone who supports the use of medical cannabis!

Listen, I've been using Pakalolo(hawaiian for Cannabis) probably longer than most of the poster here have been alive! I smoked my first joint back in 1967,and haven't looked back once, since then.

I've been a guerilla farmer for years. I'm also a Cannabis Breeder(backyard Botanist) for close to 20 years too. But getting my state "blue card", has allowed me to come in from the cold! For me it was the single greatest move forward in an attempt to eventually decriminalize Cannabis use, and of course ultimately legalize it!
I fought through all the "Pakalolo Wars" of the 70's on Maui, and in the process lost both property & home in Lahaina Maui. So I take some offense in the use of the word "marijuana", which is slang, and was created by the very people who wish you never smoke the evil weed!:rolleyes: To this day, the use of the word "marijuana" immediately brings up a negative image in the media! That is why people opposed to this magical plant, constantly use the term "marijuana". So I find myself really having a hard time with this name. Knowledgeable people on the right opposed to the use of Cannabis have to be snickering at the name of this website!

I would truly wish the owner/creator of this website would seriously consider changing the name. If the owner is serious about his passion,and who love to see it legalized in his or her lifetime. Please get rid of the name marijuana!!!!

How do most of you members feel about this?

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

I'm sorry, but this is one of the silliest posts I have read in a long time. I don't know why you think that the name "marijuana" is totally offensive to those supporting MMJ (ummmm that stands for medical marijuana), but you are simply incorrect. More and more states pass MMJ laws every year. You can rest assured that your opinion is probably not going to be shared here. We call it marijuana, mary jane, pot, dope, cannibis etc, etc (but never pakalolo). You seem to be telling us we should be using some Hawaiian name for marijuana?

I also took my first toke in 1967 and haven't looked back, either. You may be surprised how many children from the 60s are on this site. I think it ialso rather cheeky to come to a site you have never been to before and suggest that we change the name because you don't like it? :rofl:

If you want to hang out here, there are a lot of friendly, knowledgeable people with tons of growing experience. But it is so rude to come to someone's place for the first time with such silly criticism.

Hey I read your post man, but I also read everyone elses and they have some very good points.

I am only 23 but have never heard cannabis be called Pakalolo before. I have heard, maybe, most other names for it, but I have never once before heard that marijuana is offense for it? Sorry, you seem like you have good intentions but you have to respect what other people believe and have been brought up to believe in their countries :)

jdmnismo300 said:
ooooooooof

hehe that made me giggle!

Puna bud said:

It's been like 10+ years since I have heard ANYONE call it Pakalolo...

I remember my days in Wiamea Elementy on th big island...
4th grade in a K-8 school...
Seemed normal for kids to wear sweatshirts and tee's that had prints of WEED on them with "Pakalolo" in cursive over the top of the image...
I remember being in the field and watching a LEO demonstration of how they drop guy's in on line from a chopper, he cuts a bundle, ATTACHES HIMSELF TO IT, and lifts off.

All in 4th grade elementry, guaranteed the whitest kid in the whole school.

Literally...

I will never forget one of the few pieces of useful information my dad gave me; "Man...they got plants there that go from seed to smoke in 30 days".

Marijuana is the adopted mexican (or native american, details are..complicated) as Pakalolo. Name changes mean nothing to people only concerned about money, who will ultimately decide the outcome of cannabis legalization.

If anything, the correct blanket name for this particular PLANT could be Cannabis.
...and yes, Hawaii has a ways to go before anything changes there.
I NEVER sweat police anymore. They have even seen my grow(s) and could care less.

Besides, changing the name of this site, which is based in Holland(?) and operated by someone who runs a pretty tight ship that has been functional for quite some time now.

Perhaps you could start a small "Pakalolo Passion" (I see the sexy in THAT rhyme) on your home PC and build from there?
Start small, learn about forums, get some buddy's to join and see where it goes.

Hurry 'cause I like that name and I may steal it....

i find the name offensive so change it to '420something' or 'something420' like all the other weed sites:p:hubba::confused::rolleyes:

NOT

great name MP:p:D

pkj

First, I don't think he was suggesting we name it Pakalolo. In fact, I KNOW those weren't his intentions. He is simply bringing up a VALID point that the plant species is called cannabis sativa (or indica), yet this site uses a term created by anti-cannabis advocates in the 1930s.

I do agree that it isn't viable to change the name, but that's no reason to excuse his argument.

In fact, a lot of you that replied are the ones who are being silly.

For example, The Hemp Goddess: Although it remains true that if you call a plant in the rosa family something else, it still is a rose in the end; this type of argument is totally ad-hoc. If I call a Betty Boop a Blue Moon rose, I am wrong. That is why we have different names for things, so we can be specific. Cannabis is the plant, hemp is the useful form of the cannabis plant fibers, and marijuana is the derogatory term placed on getting high off the cannabis species. So you are the one with a silly criticism.

NorCalHal: "Also, "marijuana" does not conjure up negitive images because of the term"... That is strictly your opinion and just because some documentary is pro-cannabis, yet uses the term marijuana, does not mean that you are somehow right. The fact remains that the word 'marijuana' was created by people who wanted to crush it. Hemp had been used extensively throughout history, but once they created the term marijuana and attached it to the hemp industry, hemp suddenly declined in production and uses.

The Effen Gee: "Besides, changing the name of this site, which is based in Holland(?) and operated by someone who runs a pretty tight ship that has been functional for quite some time now."
This sentence is incomplete, your main clause of "changing the name of this site" needs a subordinate clause such as "would be really confusing", for example. Basically, you don't say the outcome of what changing the name of the site would do. Basically, there is no point to your argument.

And runbyhemp: What the original poster meant is that marijuana has such a negative connotation that it would be harder to legalize marijuana than to legalize cannabis, despite it still referring to the same plant.

So although I agree that marijuana is not the best term (in fact, most likely the worst) for referring to the cannabis species, I also agree that a name change would disrupt the orderly conduct of this forum. But to start accusing this guy of being rude or stupid when he has a valid point is absurd.

The members above seem a bit close-minded... which is weird since it takes an open-mind to try drugs.

And runbyhemp: What the original poster meant is that marijuana has such a negative connotation that it would be harder to legalize marijuana than to legalize cannabis, despite it still referring to the same plant.

Depends on where your from man. Nobody over here calls it marijuana. You either get arrested for cannabis or "herbal cannabis".

If that's the case I reckon it would probably be easier to get "marijuana" legalised here than "cannabis"

And either way, regardless of what it is called, the name will have no affect on legalisation whatsoever.

There is more to legalization than just policy reform, where I concede that the name does not really matter. But policy reform comes as a result of public opinion, and marijuana is given a negative connotation in the (Western-culture) media so it will be hard to persuade the public otherwise.

LegendaryGT said:
For example, The Hemp Goddess: Although it remains true that if you call a plant in the rosa family something else, it still is a rose in the end;

The actual Shakespeare quote is this: "A rose, by any other name would smell just as sweet" And sorry but THG hit the nail on the head, who cares what its called, this site is friggin awesome!

"... yet this site uses a term created by anti-cannabis advocates in the 1930s..."

The thing is that there are very few people that actually know that the word marijuana was coined in the 30s as a negative term. Today, it is a widely used and accepted synonym for cannabis with no negativity attached to it. I think it is a naive assumption to think that if we called it cannabis rather than marijuana, that legalization would be easier. There is just nothing to substantiate this.

And while I am glad to know that you know the posters intent, I took the post an entirely different way. I found it pretentious and rude--IMO, he was telling everyone how stupid he thought we were (Quote: "Knowledgeable people on the right opposed to the use of Cannabis have to be snickering at the name of this website!"). I, for one, am proud to be a member of Marijuana Passion.

I feel more like we are "claiming" a previously offensive term as our own, using it with each other, much the way the African American community and the LGBT communities call each other, endearingly, by terms that those outside the community would consider slurs .... perhaps? :joint4:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back