why are they dying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moses781

Reaction score
hello people my clones just wont stay alive i have a good root hormone and they just keep dying a few minutes later they areout why what am i doing rong

if your cuttings are dying hours after you take them then that means 1 of a few things.

Your utensils are not sterilized and are passing on pathegens to the cuttings or you are getting air bubbles in your stems or the humidity is too low.

What do they look like when they die? A little drop is expected in the first day or so, but they will usually pick back up. Do the stems get mushy or do they stay firm?

a list of possible problems.....
the branch you've chosen may not be 'thick' enough, or healthy enough
the cut is too blunt.
too much air gets to the cutting.
water's not ph'd
doesn't immediately go to a humidity level of around 80%+
needs a cfl if anything and needs to be as close as can be to the plants without hesitation of heat burns.
or maybe it's just not a strain that likes to be cloned.

hopefully I helped.

-cv-

i made sure that i cleaned the utensiles really really well with hot water and antibacterial soap but they droop 20 minutes after they are cut i just put them with the rest of the plants in the veg room should i put them some wheree else??????

good ole alcohol is the best thing to use to sterilize your blade, i find. A bit of droop is normal, maybe you need a dome to get the humidity higher. Do you let the cuttings sit in ph'd water before you make your final cut? Get some B1/ seaweed/ kelp extract and soak your cuttings in that before making your final cut, and make the final cut underwater

could be lots of things :)

one things for sure tho
:postpicsworthless:

:D

I would just say try and get your humidity higher but just wait and see what happens, see if they pick back up by tomorrow

you need a humidity dome, 10 responses and no one suggests this??? Keep the dome on the plants for 3-5 days, airing out the plant for 5 minutes twice a day.

i dont use domes, just mist it lightly and leave it in the veg room on the floor getting indirect light from the hps. it will droop some - suck what water it needs out of the leaves and start forming roots it the clone was prepared correctly. i make my 2nd cut after the clone is taken underwater- then directly into rooting hormone then into medium. just make sure a scab doesnt form on the stem, on the clone and the medium is wet and your good.

make sure you have enough foilage on the cutting- this is a simple mistake anyone can make.

I would say that the humidity is your problem. They need high humidity. Either get a dome or mist them a few times daily and they should perk up in a day or two. Just my thoughts. Keep us posted. Take care and be safe.

gagjababy said:
you need a humidity dome, 10 responses and no one suggests this??? Keep the dome on the plants for 3-5 days, airing out the plant for 5 minutes twice a day.

I don't use a humidity dome, but I think that you should re-read my post #5

Since they are drooping almost immediately, I think that you are getting an air bubble in the stem. I do like TofA--I make my second cut underwater.

gagjababy said:
you need a humidity dome, 10 responses and no one suggests this??? day.

once again

a list of possible problems.....
the branch you've chosen may not be 'thick' enough, or healthy enough
the cut is too blunt.
too much air gets to the cutting.
water's not ph'd
doesn't immediately go to a humidity level of around 80%+ (using a humidity dome)
needs a cfl if anything and needs to be as close as can be to the plants without hesitation of heat burns.
or maybe it's just not a strain that likes to be cloned.

you would to tons better if you used rooting solution.
and keep the rock-wool constantly moist.

hopefully I helped.

-cv-

Latest posts

Back