Withdrawal is real

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoner94043

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm close to 52 years of age and have smoked since age 14. I quit for health reasons and here to tell you all what I went through. I got sick to my stomach within 24 hours of my last bong hit. I sweated a lot even when it was cool. I had no appetite at all. I was to say the least "edgy" and "jumped" on people for no reason. All this in the first 72 hours.

It's been 40 days and the craving is still there. No other side effects are with me. They lasted a while, but after a couple of weeks I didn't notice them as much as I had. I will probably always have cravings for "one more" but mind over matter works.

I wrote this because friends have asked me these questions as they prepare themselves as they too are not going to indulge any longer.

If you are planning on slowing down or quitting altogether, expect some issues, and keep tylenol close at hand.

Maybe you were always just a nervous and grumpy guy but never noticed because you were stoned for 38 years? Just kidding that sucks man. But kinda makes sense in way. I mean I would freak out a bit to if I did something everyday for that long and then just bam one day quit. You are losing a big part of how you lived your life. With cigarrettes you get a physical addiction and you also get addicted to the habit of smoking. The same thing happens to animals that are kept on a daily routine which is then suddenly altered this will cause extreme stress and discomfort in an animal even manifesting itself as sickness.

Is it possible that its you that developed a mental addiction to cannabis and the state it puts you in or that cannabis caused a physical addiction similar to the way say nicotine or caffeine or heroin are addictive?

just remember..quiters never win =) no,im j/p congrads on droppin your habit.i myself couldnt imagine not being able to kick back and smoke some green.i love smoking and it doesnt stop me from doing what i gotta do.i know alot of people that just smoke and lay around the house all day..i think i'd wanna quit if it gave me this effect but i love bein high,it makes the time go by and i love the buzz.anyways,just thaught i'd throw my lil $.02 up.but if you feel more alive/happy not smokin,more power 2 ya =) -peace

Thanks mutt I never knew that, I almost never see the homepage though. To excited to get to the forums :p

Everything does seem to have consequences, and even though it was tough, it was expected and not that bad. Didn't stop me from going to work, or "playing" more or less just caught me off guard with these few minor withdrawal symptoms. I read some pretty ugly stories and as expected not every one has the same deal if/when they decide to stop smoking. Trust me, if not for some health issues I would more than likely be trolling the forums with a bong in my hand.

I am a huge advocate to legalize marijuana. I live in California where we decided it was legal but some Judge overturned our vote, not to mention the fed's getting their noses in where they don't belong. I'm also opposed to drug testing altogether. (Just so you don't think I'm trying to steer people clear of marijuana.) I highly recommend it actually and think this site is perfect for the community.
;)

Hey I think this is a good thread. They say its not addictive. I don't think it is except for psychological. I think though if you get your body used to ANYthing it will withdrawl from it in one form or another. Can't be anyworse than quitting smoking tobacco. :p

Stoner94043 said:
Everything does seem to have consequences, and even though it was tough, it was expected and not that bad. Didn't stop me from going to work, or "playing" more or less just caught me off guard with these few minor withdrawal symptoms. I read some pretty ugly stories and as expected not every one has the same deal if/when they decide to stop smoking. Trust me, if not for some health issues I would more than likely be trolling the forums with a bong in my hand.

I am a huge advocate to legalize marijuana. I live in California where we decided it was legal but some Judge overturned our vote, not to mention the fed's getting their noses in where they don't belong. I'm also opposed to drug testing altogether. (Just so you don't think I'm trying to steer people clear of marijuana.) I highly recommend it actually and think this site is perfect for the community.
;)

Your doing a great job thinking of your health first. I my self have never went through any with draws from MJ but have heard other people state it sucks.

Things that can help you take a break from marijuana include but not limited to,

writing a daily log of events
listening to music
taking walks
hanging out with someone who doesn't use marijuana
remind yourself to think positive
set an goal to achieve (an period of time to quit)
tell others what you are doing for yourself

Follow these pretty well and you should be fine. I quit drinking after about 10 years of use, 5 years of which were heavy and the final year I was up to a fifth a day if not more. Withdraws suck, and I dont wanna feel that way again, thats what I tell myself everytime I think about it. Granted I miss it but I was never one to have a few, it was all or nothing (and it was never nothing) Once you get passed the withdraws its a lil easier, but you will still think about it everyday.

I hear ya dude, I've quit two addictions now and I still have dreams about them both. Its crazy stuff.

Addiction is the hardest part of life i think, feels so good getting there, and hurts so bad/good once there (usually the body), and really hurts to get unaddicted to anything.
Be it mental or physical. Even love is addicting.

Good for you for choosing to kick it....your health should be foremost.
good luck

Stoner94043 said:

;)
THANKS stoner.. great post. I understand quitting smoking for 'health' reasons, have you tried eating it? ;)

Without getting personal, what "health issues" made you want to quit?

I've had 2 heart attacks and 4 mini strokes (TIAs) and everything that goes with them. I FINALLY quit smoking tobacco on May 1. One thing that made that easier was knowing that at night I was going to smoke a lil bit o herb!!

I am 53 and lineage tells me I will be lucky to see 65. That being the case, I am going to enjoy myself.

FWIW I quit drinking 21 years ago, if somehow I should make it to 75, I am going to start drinking AND smoking again!!

Grats on stopping the tobacco products. That's tough to overcome. I left cig's behind years ago and was so dang proud of myself. I know you know the feeling of accomplishment.

As far as drinking. . . I stopped drinking probably 13 years ago to help support my ex-wife when she got pregnant and stopped drinking herself. I just never looked back. Besides it's more fun watching your drunk friends get hammered and make fool's of themselves.

Pain meds - I'm currently going through what is known as "chemo-lite". doing this means the strongest thing I can take is aspirin. I have about 42 weeks left at which point someone better be knocking on my door with a "treat" My favorites include 'Blueberry Grandad" "White Widow" and that "Matanuska Thunderf!@k" 'Perma-frost" would be acceptable. :)

"Without getting personal, what "health issues" made you want to quit?"
HCV, or Hepatitus C from either tatoo's or snorting coke 20-30 years ago.

"Without getting personal, what "health issues" made you want to quit?"
HCV, or Hepatitus C from either tatoo's or snorting coke 20-30 years ago.[/quote]

I had a bout with Hepatitus in 1976 in the Philipines. Dont know what type and don't remember what I did to get it. It was a long, drunk weekend.

FlndrzFlash said:
Without getting personal, what "health issues" made you want to quit?

I've had 2 heart attacks and 4 mini strokes (TIAs) and everything that goes with them. I FINALLY quit smoking tobacco on May 1. One thing that made that easier was knowing that at night I was going to smoke a lil bit o herb!!

I am 53 and lineage tells me I will be lucky to see 65. That being the case, I am going to enjoy myself.

FWIW I quit drinking 21 years ago, if somehow I should make it to 75, I am going to start drinking AND smoking again!!

:rofl:

There is a lot of misinformation about marijuana. This is understandable, stoners and advocates will be quick to say, "Oh, but I can quit at any time!" or even think that there are NO negative side effects to marijuana use. This kind of thinking is illogical and well, what else can I say, completely wrong.
With that being put out there, let me say that I once knew a man literally addicted to necklaces, all kinds of necklaces. Gold, jeweled, whatever, if he didn't have his necklaces he wouldn't be able to interact with people, would start sweating. No joke. So in my own life I have pretty much come to the conclusion that it's less the chemical make up of the substance thats to blame, rather the pure enjoyment and the way it makes you feel, similair to what some people get with television, the internet, sex, whatever else you can get addicted to that doesn't FORCE your body to need it.
There ARE methods to intake THC without affecting your liver by in taking carcinogens, but if you feel more comftorable as you said to cold turkey it, then more power to you. Congratulations on overcoming your addiction.

Latest posts

Back