Worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafminer

Bloody H E L L !
Reaction score
Guys, I'm growing in coco coir at the moment, my question is, would there be a really big difference if I went hydro? I mean, is it worth the effort considering I don't have much head room, only like 4 ft below the lights. Also I have no hydro stores or anything like that available, and mail order across the border would be impractical and also likely to get eyes cast in my direction.

im not a hydro grower so i cant advise whether 2 go hydro or not but if its too difficult to buy ur equipment with cash i wouldnt worry bout it, pls correct me anyone if im wrong but if i was you id stick with something that you have access to and pay in cash with to avoid paper trails.

From what I have seen,,DWC seems to have the best outcome,,,,but,,its all up to you in what you want and how much ya wanna do to get it.:D

You can order online using prepaid cards and alternate shipping locations

There are so many easy ways to make your own system. A bucket with a lid, a plastic pot and a air pump and you can make a nice dwc system.

Hydro systems are simple in nature. If your crafty you wont need a hydro shop. Nuits would be your only issue.

I have a little more space and fairly biased towards hydro, so take it for what its worth. I just know I love my system.

I think I'll stay with coco coir. I already get quite good results and I don't think I want the extra hassle of hydro. Not that I wouldn't if I had the spare time. Thanks.

Automation is my number one reason
everything is automatic and you never have to worry about losing any plants because your dad is in the hospital and you have to spend a week out of town and no one to watch your plants
#2 control
Everything can be controlled to exact specifications
HUGE fast grow and healthy roots
If everything is done right you can cut down harvest time up to 50%
There are lots of reasons
and its pretty easy to switch
Im kind of a hydro fanatic
Soil sucks once you get into hydro

Hydro sucks once you go aero, and I am sure there will be the next great step in cannabis cultivation yet to come.

Hydro is definately more expensive and sometimes more work, depending on your setup. You'll get faster growth and plants will finish up about a week earlier than in soil and you don't have the mess of soil. If you're having success, you should probably stick with soil b/c a switch to hydro requires a pH meter, a TDS/ec meter, different nutes likely, some pH down, maybe some pH up, any other supplemental nutes you want, hydroton/rockwool/lavarocks/or some other medium and the actual hydro setup which may need water or air pumps. When I jumped into hydro, I had no clue the huge startup cost I was going to incur to do it right and keep the plants from dying. About $1500 (not all hydro stuff, my ballast, reflector, timer, ext cords, fans, ion generator, carbon air scrubber, etc.) later and a lot of it wasted b/c I bought stuff I didn't need, I got 2 big plants a week into flowering and doing great. I'm going to stick with hydro for now b/c I have the supplies but I'm going to stick a few more plants in there in soil just b/c it's a little easier to maintain.

NateB123 said:
HUGE fast grow and healthy roots
If everything is done right you can cut down harvest time up to 50%

50%??? I don't know how that is, hydro will allow plants to finish about a week sooner than soil. Given most strains take about 8 weeks, and we can finish in 7 weeks, that's only 12 1/2% Where you come up with the other 37 1/2% in shortened harvest time??? From my understanding, hydro takes longer to dry than soil just b/c it's grown in water.

311Grower said:
50%??? I don't know how that is, hydro will allow plants to finish about a week sooner than soil. Given most strains take about 8 weeks, and we can finish in 7 weeks, that's only 12 1/2% Where you come up with the other 37 1/2% in shortened harvest time??? From my understanding, hydro takes longer to dry than soil just b/c it's grown in water.

I would say there is no difference in dry time.

However an added benefit of hydro in my opinion is that I never have to worry about water logged soil.

Pros and cons to everything in life.

Latest posts

Back