would 6/6 work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dank.bud76

danker da better
Reaction score
if you go from 18/6 to 12/12 (3:1 1:1) could you do a non-24hour cycle? As in veg at 9/3 and flower at 6/6? do the flowers know if the day and night doesn't add up to 24 hours? Aside from maybe stunting their growth, would the plant bloom quicker (you could get two light/dark cycles in every 24hr period)?

it is a predefined biological clock within the plant to go by a 24hr "day" cycle... irregardless of the light being 1 steady period or broken up into a number of segments... it's the total number of hours of light being applied during a 24hr period that determines the growing state of the plant.:cool:

I doubt it would work. Not a highly scientific answer I know but I would reckon they would need more light than that to survive much less flourish.

If you did get a yield at all they would be small airy buds.

I reckon you would probably wind up with a hermaphoditic mess.

Try it and see.

I'd use bag seed though!

and... thinking about it a little more... I would not recommend doing it that way too... it might confuse the plant and break it out of flower and back into veg... it would probably be a good way to make it hermie, too.

just stick with 12 on, 12 off... that is how nature works, and this plant has grown the natural way for tens of thousands of years....

hey dank? when I read your question.. its like hermie alert flashing top of my head... I advise you just stick with 18/6 and 12/12 and no light leaks during dark period of time....

good idea.. I did thought about 3 hrs on and 3 hrs off and go on.. but that will make hermie too.. so same for 6 hr on and off its same... good question though..

thanks to all for replies. it was more a scientific what-if question than a plan, though it could have cost me dearly if i ever did try as it gets expensive buying the stuff when a grow goes south. i would love to be able to harvest more often, and currently 2months in my small setup would require another flowering closet on a 1month off schedule. but i just don't have room ;( bud last well for 2months, but i can tell the difference when i get the new stuff, taste a little better, buzz is the same but i guess the taste is more pronounced and makes my mouth water, whereas towards the end of the 2 months it gets harsher. so i'd like to just always have newer even if the plants had to be smaller to do it. i've thought about lowryder but i think the yield in my small area will be inefficient for two medical smokers needs and we really can't expand the size currently. i grow 8 plants in my closet, and i'm worried if i try to grow 4+4 on a 12 month cycle the smaller plants will be light deprived. i've added a clone late in the game and it never did well because the bigger plants shaded it out.

You said your bud gets harsh after two months of storing it? How are you storing it? Read up on this site about curing in the harvesting section. There are a few really good stickied threads. If you store your buds in jars and properly dry and cure it will taste better after two months than it did when you first harvested.

Could you survive on 4 hrs sleep instead of 8? that how hermies are born....

or 24/0 Veg

14/10 Flower

but the majority does 18/6 and 12/12

4u2sm0ke said:
or 24/0 Veg

14/10 Flower

but the majority does 18/6 and 12/12

I'm not sure that you could flower with 14/10. I really think that the girls need 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness to flower. I have never heard of anyone successfully flowering under a 14/10 light schedule...

thanks for all the great replies, sounds like the plants have some "clock" that determines the day/night cycle to be 24-hours. I guess autoflowering is natures way to deal with odd day/night cycles in nature. ohh well

There is really nothing natural about autoflowering. This has come from crossing ruderalis with other strains. These crosses wouldn't happen in naturally in the wild. Even autoflowering plants still need a 24 hour cycle.All plants have an internal time clock set to 24 hours, it's really best not to try to change that.

Did you read up on the drying and curing section yet?

Found some more relevant information on another website, so I thought I'd paste it here for reference. In a nutshell, this method uses 21 hours and 36 minute photoperiods with 12 hours of darkness, 9 hours 36 minutes of light. Might try this on my next grow, cuts 20% of your time down or so it claims...

********** BEGIN QUOTE **********

[DISCLAIMER]: This information is provided as experimental data and not fact.

The only photoperiod manipulation from years of experiments that offered discernible improvements was this adjustment made for 1 or 2 calendar weeks at the point of maximum flowering rate: Daylength of 21 hours, 36 minutes with a dark period of 12 hours. To accomplish this, you need a 7 day, 24 hour digital timer. During a 7 day calendar week on Earth, the "sun" only cycles 5 times. This permits easily switching back to the regular 12/12 at your discretion. You may want to only alter during peak flower production to stimulate the plant's metabolism. Using this photoperiod throughout the flowering cycle will cause this:

A variety that takes 49 days of 12/12 to mature, won't see 49 - 12 hour dark periods under 21:36/12 until almost 10 calendar weeks have passed.

The total increase in light energy is almost 80%, which will produce larger yields, if all of your other enviromental conditions are kept optimal.

The total increase in flowering period is only 40%, half the potential room for improvement. This means you don't have to be perfect to win out.

Selective application of the 21:36/12 photperiod for only 1 or 2 weeks extends the wait only 2 to 4 Earth days, which makes up the missing 2 complete day and night cycles each week on Planet Ito. This permits the additional light energy to be provided without purchasing additional equipment or overloading existing circuits, which maximizes the existing system's capabilities. The main advantage is that matched with co2 and optimal nutrition, the plants metabolism will increase dramatically. I have only successfully tested this photoperiod for two weeks. The potential for a net increase of 40% over the entire cycle (80% increase in light energy vs. 40% longer wait) is worthwhile. Don't be afraid!

Day 1 - Sunday, 6:00am til Monday, 3:36am
Day 2 - Monday, 3:36pm til Tuesday, 1:12pm
Day 3 - Wednesday, 1:12am til Wednesday, 10:48pm
Day 4 - Thursday, 10:48am til Friday 8:24am
Day 5 - Friday, 8:24pm til Saturday 6:00pm

dank.bud76 said:
thanks for all the great replies, sounds like the plants have some "clock" that determines the day/night cycle to be 24-hours. I guess autoflowering is natures way to deal with odd day/night cycles in nature. ohh well

Yeah kinda like a majority of living creatures except for those few night dwellers, are all programed for sleeping and resting at night. think about it. and yeah if its been programmed to do that out in the wild for so long then ya probably shouldnt mess with it

and well i dont know. i think its kind of overkill at somepoint to have too much light for to long. from what i have heard and learned, anything over 18 hours is pointless. the plants need time to rest and store that energy its been soaking up all day. i could be wrong try it out and see

bluealein56 said:
and well i dont know. i think its kind of overkill at somepoint to have too much light for to long. from what i have heard and learned, anything over 18 hours is pointless. the plants need time to rest and store that energy its been soaking up all day. i could be wrong try it out and see

From The Cannabis Grow Bible:

"Cannabis is a light demanding plant. Professional growers keep the light on their plants using the 24/0 photoperiod for this reason. Plants that grow under 24/0 flourish and do not need a quantity of darkness in order to rest and perform photosynthesis properly. Plants that are grown in optimal conditions under the 24/0 light regime grow vigorously and the benefits of a 24/0 photperiod can be seen in the results. More nodes are formed, more branches are created, leaf numbers increase, the plant is growing at its finest.

Some growers opt to use 18/6 as their photoperiod. This is an 18 hours of light, six hours of darkness light regime. Under these conditions the plant will grow quite naturally but not as vigorously as the 24/0 photperiod."

Latest posts

Back