would like opinions on checking ph on run off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftw

Reaction score
ive read that the ph of run off water doesnt matter and ive read it does matter.can anyone explain why it matters or doesnt matter(i dont want a bunch of arguements everyone has their opinoins they are entitled to them)im having some problems on my first grow and thinking it is a ph problem.picking up lime tomorrow but could use some answers to what i think is a good question.

Okay first off I use Miracle Grow Seed Starter with added perlite and sphag/peat....basically it is a neutral soil with no added nutrients. I use chem nutrients so basically everything that goes into my soil whether it be water or nutrients is ph'd at 6.5.... So I have no need in my opinion to check my run off as long as my ph is on. What kind of soil are you using? What are you using to ph your water and feed? The only time I get ph problems is when I am lazy and don't calibrate my ph meter often enough...when that happens I don't check my run off....if anything I flush with water that I know is properly ph'd...the only time I cld imagine checking it is if I was forced to use soil with those crappy time release ferts I in it.

dont have camera for pics but im using micale grow moisture control with time relese newts(only thing i could get a month ago) large fan leaves(only)clawed up burnt tips from what ive read it looks more like n defincey than newt burn i put similar question up before and was suggested to try dolimite lime ph is down to 4 on run off if cant get under control ill try cloning and start over with some other soil hate to lose over a month of growth though.guess thats how you learn

Oh man that stuff can be brutal...yeah it is loaded with time release nutrients...I think it feeds for up to 3 months....which is one of the reasons it is tough to use for MJ....we have a cpl growers here that grow well with it though....maybe they will pop in...wish we had an @godspeedsucka feature....lol

lol,just read the bag 6 months ill add lime tomorrow and see whwt happens.looks like youve been around for a while and you dont think its important to check the run off(in good soil)what is your opinoin on using jiffy pellets for cloning?
thanks for your help

thank you for your advise i looked up a godspeedsukka thread under miracle grow (miracle madness)and he adds 1 cup of lime to a bag of the same stuff i have.might be able to save them if i get the powder thanks again

Rapid Rooters are your best choice for rooting cuttings, IMO. They ain't cheap, 15-20 bucks for 50, but being made of tree bark, which contains natural rooting compounds like auxin, when combined with your choice of rooting gel, I prefer Clonex, Olivia's in a pinch, you can pretty much get 100% success if you do your part and prep the cuttings properly.

I've recently been told that they're great for starting seed as well and I plan to try that.

i have clonex bought a jiffy kit a while back on a sper of the moment(seen it at wallmart)it was more of an impulsive thing lol. i have read good things about rapid rooter.ill have to see if they have them at hydro store here.they dont have much variety they didnt even have any general hydroponics let alone flora series like i wanted ended up with my second choice fox farm but its the only shop in town. thanks for the advise

I gotta second rapid rooters.....and get the brand name if you can...I got a pack of 50 off eBay for pretty cheap....something like 15 bucks shipped.

I dont check Run off unless warranted..I also read that if you wanna check the Run off correctly..Flush the container and let sit for 30 min...then run more H2O threw and collect and check that:aok: Hope this helps..

take care and be safe

I found that when I used the MG like you are with my first attempt to grow,the ph was always all over the place, I would try to correct it and then a couple more nute balls would break and it was right back wacky again.

well i've used MG moisture control in the past. i added lime and never had a ph problem and never checked my ph. now im using promix with FF nutes ph'ed to 6.5 and water ph'ed the same.. i've had ph problems like never before. i check my runoff every other watering and it's been low 5.7 and my plants are showing it.

the reason behind my ph problems is that promix is mostly peatmoss. when peat breaks down it becomes more acidic and drops the ph. so lime is a must in anything with peat in it.. JMO

4u2sm0ke said:
I dont check Run off unless warranted..I also read that if you wanna check the Run off correctly..Flush the container and let sit for 30 min...then run more H2O threw and collect and check that:aok: Hope this helps..

take care and be safe

That's how I do it, when I do it.

It's not warranted very often, since I use lime in my mix (second ingredient added after peat moss). As long as the plants look good, I don't try and fix em.

Wet

Once you have established you have a good soil ie ph, thats when you dont worry about run off, if you know your soil is ph perfect then all you need to do is ph the water going in and your fine, not knocking rapid rooters but jiffies are great for clones also, since you have em already.

just me but i would repot with better soil, if MG is all you can get see if they have MG organic it is a world of difference from the MG you are using

pulled plants i had barneys farm lsd and a freebie kannabia afrodite as far as the growth and not wilting as much(cloning) i have to endorse the no name kannabia.i am new at this but i will buy kannabia seeds in the near future.very impressed

Latest posts

Back