Wowee!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafminer

Bloody H E L L !
Reaction score
I'm leaping up and down and it's only partly due to the Domina I've just been enjoying.
I think this is really great news for those of us with inductive ballasts.
Take a look at this:
hxxp://www.greenelectricalsupply.com/ceramic-metal-halide-lamps.aspx

The thing is, these new technology CMH tubes run on the same ballast as a HPS lamp! At least, I know the 400W does. I need to check on the other sizes.

EFFICIENT! Equal to or better than an HPS.
NATURAL! Same as daylight (CR = 95!)
- much higher lumens than metal halide - 16,000 initial lumens from the 150W.

and reasonably priced.

I am planning to buy two of the 150W tubes and simply plug them into my 150W HPS fittings. Really hoping to get much tighter internodes through the use of a spectrum equal to that of the sun.

Oh BTW these are another type of plasma lamp. Inside the ceramic tube is a plasma of metal ions and free electrons.

Hey Leafminer!

I just looked for a 400 watt version and found one at growlightexpress.com.

Lumens don't look to be any better than a standard mh. And they do require a hps ballast. Have you found any spectral output info?

Thanks.
BBFan

They have a CR of 95. That means sunlight. Complete spectrum. Efficiency is at least as good as an HPS and eveyone knows MH put out far less lumens than HPS.
If you want to know, the 150's are available in colour temp of either 3000K or 4000K. Completely neutral colour rendering for the 4000K.

Hey, LM - what is an inductive ballast and how do I know if I have one?

BBFan said:
Hey Leafminer!

I just looked for a 400 watt version and found one at growlightexpress.com.

Lumens don't look to be any better than a standard mh. And they do require a hps ballast. Have you found any spectral output info?

Thanks.
BBFan

I just checked that for you. 25% more lumens than metal halide for the same power consumption.

ArtVandolay said:
Hey, LM - what is an inductive ballast and how do I know if I have one?

Old fashioned type. You cannot use a digital ballast with this type of lamp. Sorry Lumatek, no good.

Couple more things:
1) Important: CMH has a considerable UVB output so you want to wear sunglasses for sure and be careful about exposing your skin for too long.

2) Apparently these tubes put a lot less heat down on to the plants than for instance HPS

3) This is a little extract from another site, comparing the CMH to the Hortilux Blue:

.............................. ...EYE-BLUE..........CMH
Ballast....................... .MH-Probe..........HPS
(easy conversion for hps users)
Price .........................$90-100............ $50-70
Life.......................... ..12,000Hrs......... 15,000Hrs
Initial Lumens...............29,000... .......... 34,800
Mean Lumens ..............22,000.......... ... 29,600
Lumen maintenance.......64%......... ....... 85%

I decided to order just one of these tubes ... because I am not absolutely sure that my ballast (which uses no ignitor) is compatible. So if it isn't I'll just get one of their ballasts to go with it. But if it is I will convert my second HPS too.
I'm looking for a 400W mag ballast on EBay now. This year I am hoping to build the second grow room (veg and clones) so i could then use 2 x 150W CMH + 120W of CFL (total 40K lumens, enough for 10 sq.ft) for the grow room and put a 400W CMH in the flowering room.

No. Sorry. The technology is still too new. As far as I am aware the maximum size right now is the 400W.

(Edit)
Not very informative am I . . .
OK, I see where you're coming from, maybe you'd like to replace a 1000W MH with the more efficient CMH.
A pair of CMH 400's would give you the same output lumens as a 1000W MH for 200 watts less consumption. Not to mention that the spectrum is much better than a MH. It contains all the colours not just the blue end.
Anyway, it will take a little while for me to get one but I will, and I will report back.

Latest posts

Back