Yet another lighting question Flouro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red-Eye Jedi

No clue what I am doing
Reaction score
For several reasons cost being one, and my total ignorance as to how to hook an hps system since I cant just plug it in to a wall socket being the other, I have started my grow with 2 4' long t12's 40w, 3 300w compact flouros, and 2 100w compact flouros.
My grow area is a cedar closet thats about 3'x4'. I have six starter plants in there. Do you guys think this is enough light for now? And secondly, should I be keeping them on 24hr light? They started showing leaves 5 days ago.

Also what about xenon lights or ott lights anyone know how these work on plants?

Need to know lumens output of those lights to tell if you have enough. Kinda sounds like you might but cant say for sure without knowing how many lumens you have. Try to shoot for around 5000 per sq/ft. so 3x4=7sq/ft. 7x5000=35000. You can go as low as 3000 per sg/ft, which is 21000 lumens. I would say to keep them on 24 hour light, thats what i do for veg. Its all about what you wanna do though, you can go on a 18/6 cycle to help with the bills if you prefer.

mastersativa said:
Need to know lumens output of those lights to tell if you have enough. Kinda sounds like you might but cant say for sure without knowing how many lumens you have. Try to shoot for around 5000 per sq/ft. so 3x4=7sq/ft. 7x5000=35000. You can go as low as 3000 per sg/ft, which is 21000 lumens. I would say to keep them on 24 hour light, thats what i do for veg. Its all about what you wanna do though, you can go on a 18/6 cycle to help with the bills if you prefer.

okay, so super dumb question. The lumens it says on the box of flouros is for each bulb right? If so then I am still no where close. I am at around 15000. Although I did actually measure my growspace instead of guess and it is actually 2x3. So if thats 5sq/ft x 5000 I am still way short. ARGHH!

Any suggestions for where I can get more lights that run off a simple plug in? Or if not a simple easy setup to install lighting? I have never done any electrical work before, and my home has pretty old wiring in it so I am not sure how to go about doing it.

Too bad you don't have a HPS!

You must have an octopus with all those lights?

you need 250W HPS system
You can go to
Insidesun.com
or
HTGsupply.com
They will plug right into the wall and run.
insidesun has a 250W for 95 bucks + s/h right now.

Red-Eye Jedi said:
okay, so super dumb question. The lumens it says on the box of flouros is for each bulb right? If so then I am still no where close. I am at around 15000. Although I did actually measure my growspace instead of guess and it is actually 2x3. So if thats 5sq/ft x 5000 I am still way short. ARGHH!

Any suggestions for where I can get more lights that run off a simple plug in? Or if not a simple easy setup to install lighting? I have never done any electrical work before, and my home has pretty old wiring in it so I am not sure how to go about doing it.

Not a dumb question bro. We are here to help those that don't know it all, not as if i know it all, lol. Anyway, if you are worried about your old wiring just get some more cfl's, they draw low current and are easy to use. Try and find the 42w screw in cfl's, they would add more lumens with less socket useage. The best fixtures i have found so far is just clamp work lights from wally world, they are in the auto section for just under 9 bucks.

Go HID for flowering. No comparison in the end

I start off my plants in a 4x4 box with 2 125 watt compact flouros with reflectors. I then move them into a 2x5 closet with a 600 watt hps setup for flowering. I used to use flouros for all stages but now notice a dramatic change in size and quality of finished product. It all cost me an arm and a leg but it's worth it since it is a one time investment. I don't even see much of a difference on my electric bill. I know that you're supposed to have more lumens per square foot than I do, but it seems to be working out pretty well for me.

Hick said:
uhmmmmmmmmmmm.. when "I" was in school, that was 6 sq/ft..;)

See! This is exactly what happens when you try to do math stoned out of your mind. Sorry for the stupid moment.

Latest posts

Back