Yet ANOTHER thing to hold your breath for...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder.. If something like this were to pass (And I am doubtful, at best, but willing to endure all the "I told you so!'s" that y'all can dish:ignore: ) how would that effect the industrial hemp market? Positively, right? I mean, these are law makers we are dealing with, I just couldn't see them being so obvious in their contradiction with themselves over it. In fact, I think this will turn out to be the downfall of legalization period. How could they make the medicinal/recreational marijuana laws different from the industrial hemp laws without showing the governments 'well payed for' hand in a backwards attempt to quell an industrial market and, in doing so, state publically that smoking weed is great but buying your kids harmless hemp products is bad? Nope. I see a myriad of impossible-to-overcome hang ups and red tape that will block any legalization anytime soon. They must address both issues (medicinal/recreational and industrial) simultainiously in order for it to come to pass. They won't. Yes, I hope I am wrong. But I am not. Hemp has the potential to meet and overtake the dank bud market, straight up.
By the way, to the people that think legalization will make weed cheaper, that last statement was your answer. It won't. There are only so many folk that can, or want, to grow. Most people grow big weed gardens as an enterprize. If the hemp market is legalized then people will go where the money is. And I mean "Less work/more money" money. There will be markets for both but there won 't be as many dank farmers as you think. You won't want to be smoking what it is they be growin' ;) .
Could you even imagine what that would do to the dank market? Won't even go into the stories of "terminator seeds" or "extreme high-ratio male genetics" but just all that free floating pollen from HUGE industrial grows. It would send the dank market back to the stone age. Not even the most secure indoor grow would be completely out of harms way. But when you can find the good sensimellia you're gonna pay. Dearly. Things like this can make a guy wonder if decriminalization isn't the way to go. Lots to think about. Lots.

THEY, whoever THEY is, say that if we opened the doors to our jails and prisons and turned everyone loose who had a marijuana conviction, plus all those who's fruit came from that tree (example: young guy worked for me was on probation for not-pot charges. He got trespassed for having too much fun, had to pee for his probie and subsequently did like 3mos) we would reduce prison roles by at least 1/3. That right there sounds like an economic recovery plan to little old me. Thanks for starting this post--very interesting.

Very well put nv :hubba:

EDIT:

Along with having all the hurdles to overcome, we would also have to deal with all the people out there that would flat out take advantage of it (you know there would be) and basically LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE run it into the ground. So, it kinda does make you think would it be worth it? :confused2: of course it is easy for me to live in the most liberal state and ponder (of course high) cuz that is what I do best.

On another note, my local news was talking about this bill last night...

nvthis said:
I wonder.. If something like this were to pass (And I am doubtful, at best, but willing to endure all the "I told you so!'s" that y'all can dish:ignore: ) how would that effect the industrial hemp market? Positively, right? I mean, these are law makers we are dealing with, I just couldn't see them being so obvious in their contradiction with themselves over it. In fact, I think this will turn out to be the downfall of legalization period. How could they make the medicinal/recreational marijuana laws different from the industrial hemp laws without showing the governments 'well payed for' hand in a backwards attempt to quell an industrial market and, in doing so, state publically that smoking weed is great but buying your kids harmless hemp products is bad? Nope. I see a myriad of impossible-to-overcome hang ups and red tape that will block any legalization anytime soon. They must address both issues (medicinal/recreational and industrial) simultainiously in order for it to come to pass. They won't. Yes, I hope I am wrong. But I am not. Hemp has the potential to meet and overtake the dank bud market, straight up.
By the way, to the people that think legalization will make weed cheaper, that last statement was your answer. It won't. There are only so many folk that can, or want, to grow. Most people grow big weed gardens as an enterprize. If the hemp market is legalized then people will go where the money is. And I mean "Less work/more money" money. There will be markets for both but there won 't be as many dank farmers as you think. You won't want to be smoking what it is they be growin' ;) .
Could you even imagine what that would do to the dank market? Won't even go into the stories of "terminator seeds" or "extreme high-ratio male genetics" but just all that free floating pollen from HUGE industrial grows. It would send the dank market back to the stone age. Not even the most secure indoor grow would be completely out of harms way. But when you can find the good sensimellia you're gonna pay. Dearly. Things like this can make a guy wonder if decriminalization isn't the way to go. Lots to think about. Lots.

:yeahthat::yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat:

well if drug mj will be legalized then industrial hemp will be too, as it should have been all along. hemp is cheaper to grow than cotton, makes thousands of materials and products and would generate more revenue than the taxation of med mj. not even the suits on capitol hill can ignore TWO products able to produce billions of dollars to stick in their pockets.

greenfriend said:
not even the suits on capitol hill can ignore TWO products able to produce billions of dollars to stick in their pockets.

The shame is that they do...:confused2: all while having a glass of wine or scotch and smoking a cigar :confused:

i will move to cali if this happens, its funny, but everyone who looks down on it will suddenly have nothing to say if its legal, like family and friends.

greenfriend said:
well if drug mj will be legalized then industrial hemp will be too, as it should have been all along. hemp is cheaper to grow than cotton, makes thousands of materials and products and would generate more revenue than the taxation of med mj. not even the suits on capitol hill can ignore TWO products able to produce billions of dollars to stick in their pockets.

Exactly the point Green. Unfortunately it may prove far more difficult to legallize industrial hemp than it would be to legalize dank. Weve have two distinct classes of enemies here. It's not anti-drug fanatics. They are negligible for the most part. It is pharmacuetical companies and everyone else (textile/tobacco/oil etc.) Companies that fund anti-drug fanatics and their policies with endless amounts of money. We seem to be making quite a bit of headway with the pharmacuetical side, but what of the industrial side? Like I said, they need to be addressed simultainiously for anything to really happen. It's not. Not really. They seem to be dividing into two separate entities. Same plant! I could be wrong but when was the last time the news covered a well organized petition of noticable size and effort to legalize industrial hemp? Been a while? HR 1009 in '07? How many current USA hemp farms? The movement is alive, it just isn't getting the same play. They're not being addressed together. The major movement right now is medical. To me that is like driving around in a car with no back wheels on it. We can't possibly expect that our govt. is going to agree to such a blatant double standard. It will happen, some day. It just has to. I just don't think the time is ours.. Yet.. And timing will be everything.
These are my opinions (and, probably, mine alone;) ) I just don't believe the USA is going to come out and say "We were wrong, you were right, so do whatever you want, we don't care, pay taxes". But then I have been wrong before....
It is amazing what can be 'overlooked' when the need for money is bad. That will change things, but how quickly?
Check out the President, man. Things are changing. The first black President ever and he ran against a woman. I amtotally cool with this. And I have a medical for marijuana! Never thought I would see this day in my lifetime. Guess anything is possible now. Question everyone wants to know is, how long's it gonna take? Don't mean to be down on anyones spirit. Truth is for the marijuana cause the financial depression we are in is the best thing that could happen. If that was a plan in the beginning, to get mmj a foot hold before the markets went belly up, it was pure genius.
I am home today with no work. Bored. Sorry for the mindless ranting. Just ignore it:rolleyes:

if it does happen, i will be throwing an official mp party, and all those in cali are invited!

Wow. I bail to Reno for a couple of days and look what happens. I heard about this on the news in Nevada, but I havn't really read much about it, yet.
I just printed out the actual Text of the legislation, and it is 41 pages long.
My Lawyer is going to come by today, he's out of smoke, so I am going to run this by him, but I know he is aware, as we talked briefly over the phone.

From the BRIEF cnversation we had, he stated that anyone over the age of 21 can operate as a "Marijuana wholesaler" subject to an starting fee of $5000 and annual renewal of $2500. Retailers will be charged $50 an ounce tax. This is for Retail sales. I read some posts in this thread stating that herb will be sold for $50 an ounce, that is NOT the case. the TAX is $50

As I said, believe I am going to read up on it and get some educated opionions, but this is a huge bill. Something of the likes noone in our lifetime has ever seen.
All the naysayers, stay the hell out of my state when this passes. JK. Watch, folks will flock again out to the west in a new gold rush.

Do I think this will pass? Not sure at all, as I don't know enough yet, but gut instinct tells me hell ya. Cali is hurt for $$.

One thing y'all have to understand, is it ALLREADY is a huge pretty much OPEN market out here, but disguised as "Medical Marijuana". The state sees this, and they see they have barely tapped the keg open to a flood of sales tax revenue. I have allways said that MMJ is a stepping stone to full legalization. They see that they are str8 missing out, and, more importantly, that people are going to do it regardless.
I'm here to tell you, anyone over the age of 18 can get a MMJ rec in Cali. Plain and simple. Cops know it, judges know it, and so do all the politicians, as well as each one of you.

Well, I am eager to read into this and see what is up. I think that the politicians in my state are at witts end, and this has a good chance of passing. Cmon meow, this is Cali, we pass all kinds of crazy laws and cater to freaks.
Sad thing is, my local State Assemblyman is leading the effort to defeat this bill. Clown. POTUS, you will be happy to know I sent him a letter, just before I logged onto MP.

wow, i would take outdoor gardening to a whole new level, just have to be in a rural area where i would hope no male pollen could find its way, he he.

I would have posted the hyperlink but I haven't posted enough for the site to allow me. Copy and paste.

blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2009/02/get_up_stand_up_ammiano_introd.php

Let us all hope!!!

nvthis said:
Exactly the point Green. Unfortunately it may prove far more difficult to legallize industrial hemp than it would be to legalize dank. Weve have two distinct classes of enemies here. It's not anti-drug fanatics. They are negligible for the most part. It is pharmacuetical companies and everyone else (textile/tobacco/oil etc.) Companies that fund anti-drug fanatics and their policies with endless amounts of money. We seem to be making quite a bit of headway with the pharmacuetical side, but what of the industrial side? Like I said, they need to be addressed simultainiously for anything to really happen. It's not. Not really. They seem to be dividing into two separate entities. Same plant! I could be wrong but when was the last time the news covered a well organized petition of noticable size and effort to legalize industrial hemp? Been a while? HR 1009 in '07? How many current USA hemp farms? The movement is alive, it just isn't getting the same play. They're not being addressed together. The major movement right now is medical. To me that is like driving around in a car with no back wheels on it. We can't possibly expect that our govt. is going to agree to such a blatant double standard. It will happen, some day. It just has to. I just don't think the time is ours.. Yet.. And timing will be everything.
These are my opinions (and, probably, mine alone;) ) I just don't believe the USA is going to come out and say "We were wrong, you were right, so do whatever you want, we don't care, pay taxes". But then I have been wrong before....
It is amazing what can be 'overlooked' when the need for money is bad. That will change things, but how quickly?
Check out the President, man. Things are changing. The first black President ever and he ran against a woman. I amtotally cool with this. And I have a medical for marijuana! Never thought I would see this day in my lifetime. Guess anything is possible now. Question everyone wants to know is, how long's it gonna take? Don't mean to be down on anyones spirit. Truth is for the marijuana cause the financial depression we are in is the best thing that could happen. If that was a plan in the beginning, to get mmj a foot hold before the markets went belly up, it was pure genius.
I am home today with no work. Bored. Sorry for the mindless ranting. Just ignore it:rolleyes:

The reason, as far as I can see ( I admit, I'm a bit jaded ) that industrial hemp dose'nt get much news coverage is it's just not "sexy" enough.
T.V. news can play shock factor to Mid-America by showing a 20 something slacker with dreds and a dead T-shirt but if the visual is a mid-fifties farmer losing his land because of crop prices in balance with taxes and regulations the subject becomes much more sympathetic.
The corporations that own the airwaves also own the pharmasuticles, textiles, petro-chemical corporations and the timber industries.
It's going to require an outcry from small-town,conservative America to shake the shackles of prohibition.
I believe it will happen, but I also believe America will have to sink to a economic depression unlike anything ever concieved by modern man.
icon8.gif

I hope it passes, the first time i heard of this i almost cried lol.. I didnt think it would happen in my lifetime. I sighn every petition and write letters to the white house and my state, other peaples states i hope they open this up to the whole country and let everyone vote on it.

yumyumbubblegum said:
The shame is that they do...:confused2: all while having a glass of wine or scotch and smoking a cigar :confused:

Actually they would but there would be a major back lash. Tobacco and Alcohol have been around longer or just as long. so we don't see it as bad, at least not the way some uninformed people in society see marijuana as bad.

LowRider said:
Tobacco and Alcohol have been around longer or just as long.

I read in HT or WCC that they found something like 500 grams (some huge amount, I forget the exact #) in a grave/tomb (whatever the called it) in China that was supposedly 5000 years old and they where saying that is was cured for "psychoactive purposes"

I think MJ has been around for much, much longer (for alchohol) IMO

nvthis said:
$5000 to start, $50 per oz. Boy, they really want their cut!:rolleyes: Sounds like a barn buster. Are there any sales limits in product amount NCH?

All in all, sounds fair to me.
There are no limits for a wholesale grower, or a Retail outlet owner. As far as I have read so far.
There are many restrictions on who can get a "license". Big background checks, with no prior's is one. Your facility has to be secured, the bigger the Op, the more security.

There are many little things in this bill, but all in all, it is really a good deal for folks. More to come.

California

Lawmaker: Legalize Pot To Generate Tax Income

February 23, 2009
Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO -- A state legislator is reviving the debate about legalizing marijuana as a way of raising money for cash-strapped state and local governments.Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, D-San Francisco, introduced a bill Monday that if approved by the California Legislature would put pot on the same legal footing as alcohol. Adults over the age of 21 would be allowed to buy it, and driving under the influence of marijuana would be prohibited.
Under Ammiano's proposal, which has been endorsed by some law enforcement officials, pot would be taxed at a rate of $50 per ounce and bring an estimated $1 billion into state coffers.
In 1996, California became the first state to legalize medical marijuana.
"It is simply nonsensical that California's largest agricultural industry is completely unregulated and untaxed," Marijuana Policy Project California policy director Aaron Smith said in a prepared statement. "With our state in an ongoing fiscal crisis -- and no one believes the new budget is the end of California's financial woes -- it's time to bring this major piece of our economy into the light of day."
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger last week signed bills intended to close the state's $42 billion budget shortfall for the next year-and-a-half. The plan includes $15 billion in spending cuts, $12.8 billion in temporary tax increases and $11 billion in borrowing.

We r heading in the Right Way.. Yahoooo let this pass so we ALL can Be HAPPY.;)

Latest posts

Back